Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Co- Senator proposes in-state tuition for illegal immigrants

Senator proposes in-state tuition for illegal immigrants
    By Tim Hoover
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 02/03/2009 06:35:33 PM MST
    Updated: 02/03/2009 06:38:23 PM MST

State Sen. Chris Romer is sponsoring a bill that would allow students who are illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition at Colorado's colleges and universities.

Regardless of their immigration status, SB 170 would give the in-state tuition rate to students who attended a Colorado high school, graduating or achieving a GED, and who have enrolled in a Colorado public college or university within five years of getting their high school diplomas.

"Students with a college education are more productive and more likely to be civically engaged," said Romer, D-Denver. "Passing this legislation will help keep us economically competitive with our neighboring states and give these kids the chance to give back to the Colorado communities where they have grown up."

The bill has been endorsed by the University of Northern Colorado Board of Trustees, the Boulder Valley School District and Denver Public Schools.

Federal law makes all children, including those of illegal immigrants, eligible to attend public schools from kindergarten through high school.

Supporters of the bill said the money spent on the child in public school would be wasted if he or she couldn't attend college.

"Out-of-state tuition rates are 97 to 559 percent higher than in-state rates," said Carlos Valverde of the Colorado Progressive Coalition, one of several groups supporting the bill. "These costs are prohibitively high and mean that talented Colorado high school graduates must put their education on hold indefinitely."

But Sen. Dave Schultheis, a longtime proponent of greater restrictions on illegal immigration, said the bill would just invite lawsuits from out-of-state students who would want the in-state tuition rate as well.

"I will seek students that will sue, frankly," Schultheis, R-Colorado Springs, said. "This is totally opposed to what I believe the citizens of Colorado want to see happen."

"Why UNC is coming out in favor of this I don't know, unless they just want more students and more tuition dollars."

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11619717
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

These PEOPLE ARE UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS.... Stop the money flowing to these organizations and people.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Federal Law

Dictates that anyone from anywhere in the world under the age of 18, MUST be taken care of by American taxpayers when they are on American soil. How righteous...

Re: Federal Law

Quote Originally Posted by Tbow009
    Dictates that anyone from anywhere in the world under the age of 18, MUST be taken care of by American taxpayers when they are on American soil. How righteous...
    Yeap we are just the greatest bunch of people aren't we?
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

"I will seek students that will sue, frankly," Schultheis, R-Colorado Springs, said. "This is totally opposed to what I believe the citizens of Colorado want to see happen."

"Why UNC is coming out in favor of this I don't know, unless they just want more students and more tuition dollars."
    It can't be because they want more tuiton dollars. They won't be getting more $$ if they allow illegal aliens in-state tuiton. They will lose out-of-state US citizen students and their $$. NO in=state tuiton for illegals!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "