Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What a great moment in American history!
    And from an extraordinary-ordinary American
    !!
    To me this is a great example of a American attitude and exemplifies what an American is!

IT was perhaps the most famous four-letter-word reply in World War II history, one that left a phenomenal legacy that's lasted over half a century. And if the Belgian town of Bastogne has its way, BG Anthony McAuliffe's response to German surrender demands during the Battle of the Bulge -- "Nuts" -- will be remembered forever.

"I thought McAuliffe would just laugh and come up with something more formal," said retired LTG Harry Kinnard, as members of the 101st Airborne Division prepared to return to Normandy for the 55th anniversary of D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge in 1999. Kinnard missed that reunion because of medical problems.

Kinnard was a lieutenant colonel and division operations officer and McAuliffe was temporarily in command of the 101st when it held Bastogne but was surrounded by the advancing German army during the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944.

McAuliffe's response to the surrender demand inspired his troops to a heroic stand that helped stop Germany's last major counteroffensive of the war in Europe.

"When McAuliffe heard the demand," Kinnard said, "he laughed and said: 'Us surrender? Aw, nuts!' But when he realized he had to respond, he told the staff, 'I don't know what to tell them.' He asked what we thought, and I said, 'That first remark of yours would be hard to beat.'"

The rest of the staff wholeheartedly agreed with Kinnard, and McAuliffe immediately wrote, "To the German commander: Nuts."

"We had absolutely no idea sending back 'Nuts' would have the kind of impact it did," Kinnard said. "But I'm not that surprised, because 'nuts' is a typical American word, and it was exactly how we felt about surrendering. It was also a huge morale boost for the public back in the States hearing about our desperate situation of being surrounded at Bastogne."

Cleo Zizos, of the Fort Monmouth, N.J., Public Affairs Office, remembers sitting around the radio with her family, listening for details of the war during the Christmas season of 1944. When they heard of the famous reply, there was only one reaction, Zizos says. "We thought it was just a great answer and that GEN McAuliffe was speaking for all Americans."

There is one point, however, Kinnard insists on setting straight: the idea that "Nuts" was selected because McAuliffe's other comments were obscene. "That's absolutely false. Tony McAuliffe was a fine, decent commander, a bona fide gentleman who did not believe in vulgarity."

Today, Bastogne proudly hosts a NUTS museum and NUTS cafe. And it's hard to find a store in town that doesn't sell NUTS T-shirts, coffee mugs or other items celebrating McAuliffe's defiant response.

Tom McVickers, a battlefield tour director catering specifically to veterans visiting Europe to see where they fought, says Bastogne is almost always on the "must stop and see list."

"If we're in that area, they insist on going there," he said. "Veterans and their families are thrilled to see the museum or restaurant and visit the bust of GEN McAuliffe in the square. It's one of those fascinating legends that ranks right up there with the Normandy beaches."

As for the unprecedented fame and inspirational spirit "Nuts" provided for the citizens of Bastogne and Americans back home, it can't compare with the exhilaration it brought to 101st Abn. soldiers on that bleak and desperate day.

"Nobody had any thoughts of giving up, because we weren't trained to give up," said Robert Wright, who was a medic with the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment. "We were trained to be successful. So we all agreed that was as good an answer as anybody could come up with, because that was how everyone felt."

Wright stressed how bitter the weather was, with sub-zero temperatures, the countless injured soldiers and the lack of medical supplies. But failure to come out of the situation successfully was simply unthinkable.

"Nothing kept us from saying: 'We're airborne, and we're the best!' And we were determined to keep showing the enemy we were the best. We didn't give a damn what the Germans wanted, so it was a great answer to a stupid question. And it's a piece of history that's won't die."

Another medic, Allison Blaney of the 326th Medical Battalion, was near the 101st operations room when McAuliffe and his staff made the decision to go with the "nuts" reply. He says it's a priceless memory he's only appreciated more with time.

"It provided the motivation needed to show the Germans just how determined and dedicated we were," he said. "Everybody in the room looked so pleased at the answer. And I don't believe anyone knew or could have guessed the outcome that one word would have on the world. It was just fantastic!"

Tom Splan was a forward observer with the 377th Parachute Field Artillery, who learned of the "Nuts" reply in the field when the rumors began circulating about surrender. "I said it's a damn good thing McAuliffe said that, because I wasn't about to give in. And while I didn't fully realize we were surrounded with such force against us, it didn't matter, because that answer fired everybody up."

Splan fought alongside two other soldiers, and for the rest of the day, he remembers, the three of them laughed and proclaimed what a great way it was to say "go to hell." "It was a standing joke among us, and all day long we had conversations like 'nuts to you' and 'nuts to the weather' and 'nuts to everything else.' And even though so many years have passed, I still think and laugh about it."

Hubert Long was just 17 when he jumped into Normandy on D-Day with the 501st PIR. He was captured three days later and spent the remainder of the war in a POW camp, but heard the famous "Nuts" story after returning home.

"I felt it was very proper and very American." he said. "I laughed a great deal when I heard it, because I felt that was so typical of the American airborne. It made me very proud, and I feel sure it provided the soldiers incentive and strength to complete the task they had before them. We were taught from the beginning, when I went into the airborne, 'kill or be killed.' That's what we believed and that's what we practiced."

Today, Kinnard still believes "Nuts" demonstrates how American soldiers, even when faced with death or capture, find a way to deal with a problem and come out ahead.

"That's a personal trait I take great pride in, to put in a lighthearted touch when something bad comes along. When you do that, you can't help but make yourself and everyone else feel better," he said. "I know that's why I immediately thought "Nuts" was the best answer we could give. Even after all these years, I still believe it."
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    WHOA THERE just one little minute!

Coming through the back door, are ya?

Require the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States to register and file applications for residency. Those with felony convictions wouldn't be able to get residency.

Establish a "guest worker opportunity" program that would allow people with clean criminal records to seek jobs under a set of terms and conditions.
    What a pile of tripe!! More SNAKES
    I know how bad you want one of these.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I couldn't find anything for the "Fix It Now" committee. Perhaps someone else will have luck.

Butler County Commissioners Office
    http://www.butlercountyohio.org/commissioner/

Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters
    http://www.ovrcc.com/index.jsp

Cincinnati Interfaith Committee for Worker Justice. - This is supposed to be their national office.
    http://www.iwj.org/

Closest I could find for a local Cincinnati CICWJ was here. Scroll down to #2.
    http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/yamin/volunteer2.htm
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

BRIAN, Thanx!

ALTURA
    Thanx for honoring Americans with that post. Can't really respond as
    I'd like to cause I'm laughing and sniffling at the same time. How our
    troops suffered and now we're in this horror. What have they done to
    the memory of so many brave, selfless Americans? I'm angry while I'm
    grateful. What a dychodomy.

We should take NUTS for our fight now. That's an inspiration!

So, 'guest worker program?' NUTS
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12