Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Coffman’s push to ‘fix’ DACA held back in deal with House leader Paul Ryan

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Coffman’s push to ‘fix’ DACA held back in deal with House leader Paul Ryan

Coffman’s push to ‘fix’ DACA held back in deal with House leader Paul Ryan

Coffman made a deal with House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, to delay gathering support for the Bar Removal of Individuals who Dream and Grow our Economy Act, also called the BRIDGE Act, so that Congress can focus on a long-term legislative fix, according to a report from The Hill, a Washington, D.C. political news outlet.

By KARA MASON, Staff Writer, Updated: September 8, 2017 12:00 am 4

AURORA | The effort to force a vote on a bill that would have extended protection to young immigrants illegally brought to the U.S. by Aurora GOP Congressman Mike Coffman was short lived.

Coffman made a deal with House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, to delay gathering support for the Bar Removal of Individuals who Dream and Grow our Economy Act, also called the BRIDGE Act, so that Congress can focus on a long-term legislative fix, according to a report from The Hill, a Washington, D.C. political news outlet.

The BRIDGE Act would have extended the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, better known as DACA, for three years under the assumption Congress would find a more permanent fix.

But in the wake of the Trump administration’s move to end DACA, members of Congress from across the political spectrum have united to sponsor the Dream Act of 2017 — both Sen. Cory Gardner and Sen. Michael Bennet said they would sponsor the bill, which creates a legal pathway to citizenship for DACA recipients.

Coffman’s deal with Ryan comes just days after Coffman announced he would file a discharge petition to move the bill from committee to the House floor for a vote. The petition requires 218 signatures, and is a rare legislative maneuver for members of the majority party.

Right now Coffman only has the support from three congressmen, Reps. Jared Polis, D-CO, Adam Smith, D-WA, and Bobby Rush, D-Ill.

Even with a new legislative fix for DACA in the works, Coffman said in a statement that the BRIDGE Act still remains an option in the future, should other measures fall short.

“When I announced a week ago that I would file a discharge petition, my goal was simple — force action on behalf of the dreamers. In the week since, Republicans from around the country have joined our push,” Coffman said in a statement. “This morning, the Speaker told me he intends to work on an immigration measure that includes protection for DACA kids. This is a positive development, and I thank the Speaker for it. With that said, the discharge petition has been filed, and it will continue to be an outlet if we can’t get a bill to the floor. I appreciate the Speaker’s leadership on this issue and strongly believe Congress needs to finish this important job.”

A spokesperson for Coffman was not immediately available for further comment.

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/news/c...der-paul-ryan/

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good!! Postponed into the Abyss.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Good!! Postponed into the Abyss.
    I don't necessarily see this as good or bad.

Why would he persist in this when he knows an easier route to a DACA amnesty is in the works? Additionally, it seems like Rep. Hoyer (D) is picking up the ball and is filing his own discharge petition on this. I'm of the opinion Ryan told Coffman to drop it and let the Democrats pursue it so as to not further agitate Trump's base supporters. Whatever the case, I think we're in serious jeopardy on this DACA issue.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Postponed because they are going for far more than DACA 800,000 they will go for Dream Act Amnesty for 2-3 million illegals and then use that to go for Amnesty for 10-20 million.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    I don't necessarily see this as good or bad.

Why would he persist in this when he knows an easier route to a DACA amnesty is in the works? Additionally, it seems like Rep. Hoyer (D) is picking up the ball and is filing his own discharge petition on this. I'm of the opinion Ryan told Coffman to drop it and let the Democrats pursue it so as to not further agitate Trump's base supporters. Whatever the case, I think we're in serious jeopardy on this DACA issue.
    We're in serious jeopardy if we don't have the votes to kill it, whenever it rises from the Abyss.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What happened to campaign blowhard talk "everyone has to leave and file papers to return"?????

That was phrased by our side as "touch-back amnesty", so I think it just fell off the wagon at least in campaign talk. Trump always added the caveat that they would have to get in line behind everyone already ahead of them, otherwise that isn't fair to the people applying to come in legally who have never broken our laws.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by artist View Post
    What happened to campaign blowhard talk "everyone has to leave and file papers to return"?????
    As recent events have shown, he said a lot of things to get elected that he obviously never really took seriously.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn