Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Conditions wretched at immigration detention center

Conditions wretched at immigration detention center, Burnam says
    By PATRICK McGEEpmcgee@star-telegram.com

A state representative from Fort Worth is at the Texas-Mexico border lambasting the federal government’s immigration enforcement efforts.

Rep. Lon Burnam, D-Fort Worth, said that conditions at a detention facility are terrible and that the construction of fencing along the border is a waste of money.

Federal officials defended their work as humane and effective.

Burnam’s criticism came after he and state Reps. Kirk England, D-Grand Prairie, and Rafael Anchia, D-Dallas, who were in South Texas for a House subcommittee hearing, toured Willacey Detention Center near Raymondville on Thursday. The facility, which is run by Willacey County, has a contract with the federal government to hold immigrant detainees.

Burnam criticized the facility as having poor conditions for the people held there.

"The conditions are not OK," Burnam said. "They’re eating out of wretched plastic plates, and they’re eating wretched food."

He said up to 50 people were in a common area bunk space "with almost no personal space at all."

Adrian Ramirez, field office director for the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in San Antonio, which covers all of South Texas, said food served at the jail is certified by a dietician as nutritious and is served on plastic dishes because metal or glass are not safe.

He said ICE officials check on the jail daily to ensure that it meets national detention standards.

England said he "would lean closer to the side of adequate" when describing the jail’s conditions, but said he was surprised that immigrants were not appointed a lawyer for free if they can not afford one, as is the practice in criminal courts.

Ramirez said there are no court-appointed attorneys in immigration courts.

"This isn’t a criminal proceeding; this is an administrative process. That is why they don’t get the same benefit," Ramirez said. "It’s the same everywhere, in every immigration court throughout the country."

Burnam said he will join the mayors of border cities Brownsville and McAllen in a press conference in Brownsville today to denounce the border fence.

Anchia declined to comment about any of the immigration issues. England described his visit to an area where fencing will be built as more of a "fact-finding mission."

Burnam said he saw areas where the fence is cutting through agricultural land far from the border.

"This is the wrong solution. You don’t build a wall like this. I just don’t think this is an intelligent use of resources," he said. "It’s a retrenchment. We’re going to retreat a mile to protect our border. That’s absurd, and the bottom line is it won’t work."

Congress voted to put up hundreds of miles of fencing along the border in 2006. Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain both voted for it.

Nearly 340 miles of fencing was built by mid-August, and an additional 670 miles could be built by the end of the year, according to the Homeland Security Department.

Lloyd Easterling, an assistant chief with the U.S. Border Patrol in Washington, D.C., said fencing is not the only answer but is an effective tool in securing the border.

He said it is effective "when combined with the technology and personnel. When the right mix of all that is put in, we have seen proven results."
    http://www.star-telegram.com/state_news ... 93728.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"The conditions are not OK," Burnam said. "They’re eating out of wretched plastic plates, and they’re eating wretched food."

He said up to 50 people were in a common area bunk space "with almost no personal space at all."
    Gee, I often eat off plastic plates. Plastic not good enough for them? TOUGH!

How does this clueless rep think they live while in the US illegally? 3 or more families in a 2 bedroom apartment! How does he think they lived in their native countries? They sure as hell didn't care about "personal space" then, did they?

Why don't you concern yourself with your voting constituents Burnam? Don't like the detention centers? Then tell them not to sneak in illegally!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

First off they exagerate everything. Remember....poor in Mexico don't even have plastic plates.....let alone "wretched" ones. What constitutes "wretched"? Dirty, broken, a color you don't like or that you feel you are entitled to better.....even though you may have been eating off paper plates in your own home.

"Wretched food"? Well people in hospitals and schools have said that for decades and they never did anything wrong. That's government food. Our military get that. Are you talking "wretched" like maggots crawling out of your plate.....or "wretched" because you don't like it? Join the club....neither does anyone else.

For starving poverty stricken people that risked life and limb to get here.....having anything on a plastic plate should be pretty darn good. You are in a government detention center......not the Hilton.

They sure as hell didn't care about "personal space" then, did they?
    LOL....I was thinking that.....it's OK to have 35 adults in a one bedroom apt. and you cry about "personal space"?

Maybe I'm too long term American, but I really hate crowded closed places. That isn't NORMAL to me. I bow out and take the stairs with 5 people on an elevator. Wouldn't even THINK of jumping in the back of a semi with 50 something people. Wouldn't think of peeing on public street in broad daylight either.

Email Lon Burnham
    http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/em ... lon.burnam
    District Address: 1067 W. Magnolia
    Fort Worth, TX 76104
    District Phone: (817) 924-1997

Email Kirk England, D-Grand Prairie
    http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/em ... rk.England
    District Address: 2426 S. Carrier Pkwy., Ste 106
    Grand Prairie, TX 75052
    District Phone: (972) 264-4231

Rafael Anchia, D-Dallas,
    http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/em ... ael.anchia
    District Address: 1111 West Mockingbird Lane, Suite 1330
    Dallas, TX 75247
    District Phone: (214) 943-6081

Just wonder if Mr. Burnam is getting a few contribs from groups like LaRaza, etc.
    At this point I am angry enough that any food those 50 in a cell should get should be delivered in a large pot where they can all grub. Any sort of plastic anything is a waste of money.
    Sorry, but I have no sympathy that these illegals expect conditions far above and beyond those they would find in their home jails.

Let's compare our centers to Mexico's and see who comes out on top.

seeing how we Americans have money up the kazoo . Since we can bail out Freddie Mae and Freddie Mac . Then it's only right to put these poor ILLEGALS in a Hilton , isn't it ? Liberal Dem's can kiss my grits
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

I don't know how bad the living conditions are in the detention facility is but it has to beat how the illegals live on their own. Read this email forwarded to me about a homeowner in California who was run out of their home by reconquistas. If this isn't evidence that a border wall should be built then this country is lost.--------------------------------------

A true life experience from a 5th generation (former) Californian - please share I have accepted that keeping the houses in Nuevo is impossible. I owe $336k on them and the house two doors down-only 1 house but 2400 sq. ft. with sun room addition and really nice front yard with recirculating stream and koi pond was foreclosured and sold by the lender for $215,000 (she owed $425k). Then the house next door to mine (3 bd. 2 bath 2000 sq. ft) is in foreclosure and the lender has agreed to a short sale of $170,000 IF the owner can get the squatters out so they can inspect it. His house has central a/c which they must have burned out because they have tires and roofing shingles piled up to hold the window air conditioner in one bedroom and have the patio door open and a huge swamp cooler in the doorway. They told his realtor (who speaks spanish) that it is THEIR house and wouldn't let her in. They make no attempt to hide that they are there. They even put an above ground pool up for the NINOS. I finally got into my houses (guess they were too cheap to replace all the door knobs and my keys worked on the back doors) after I climbed over the fence. BOTH houses have been squatted in (literally) the bigger house has the water turned off and they have been using the toilet anyway without being able to flush AND there are oil drips? some strange marks in every single room on the carpet. The smaller house looks to have been where they stored things and packaged the marijuana (found left over weed, HUGE rolls of seran wrap, scales and other evidence). They put nails around all the windows and had bedsheets nailed in place ( I have no idea what happened to the vertical blinds that WERE there) and turned the laundryroom into a bedroom with 2 mattresses still there, I spent 8 hrs. replacing doorlocks, hauling water in a bucket to clean out the toilet in the bigger house, chaining and pad locking the gates and automatic garage doors. Then I started realizing that first of all no DECENT people would ever want to live in this area since the border scum took over and secondly even if I could sell it that I could never sell it for what is owed. Third if I had all the money in the world I would never want to live there again. Who wants to live somewhere and listen to circus music, chicken talk and gunshots 24/7. What really gets me is that in both the houses they broke in and then put their own locking door knobs on the front doors. Guess they didn't want anyone breaking into THEIR stolen home. These people are disgustingly stupid and live like pigs. They burned out the motor in the whirlpool tub, ruined the new carpet and chipped the new countertops and for some reason tore the ceiling to get at the capped off light that used to be in the kitchen BEFORE we put in the big florescent light. They took out ALL the landscaping plants and planted squash and corn and tomatoes in the flowerbed that are now overflowing into the driveway and walkways. I had spent about $5000 on the concrete to make those flowerbeds nice and probably another $5000 in plants, just so that some scum peon could plant CORN? They took the trouble to take the gate off of the dogpen in the yard at the smaller house and the neighbors said they had them haphazardly set up for the goats that kept getting out. There were at least 8 chain link PANELS sitting up against the corral sections and a 100 ft. roll of wire fencing in the garage that would have more then done the same thing properly but they destroy the dogpen instead. Sheez. I really do believe that these things are genetically STUPID. NOPE not gonna pay for the priviledge of owning two houses in the slum created by the same lenders who are now crying for federal help, that gave loans to these scum without asking for social security numbers or proof of residency. Even the sheriff deputy that I had write a report for the insurance company, said "well, maybe they weren't bad people. They probably figured it was a foreclosure and did not realize it BELONGED to someone or they wouldn't have broken in." HUH? So it's okay to break in if it BELONGS to the bank? I told him. Bottom line they are pigs, they live like pigs and regardless of who the house BELONGS to, it DOES NOT belong to them so they are thieves. Nobody was there (11am) but they must be working as gardeners, make that WERE working as gardeners because I now have some nice professional equipment to take back HOME. I will not pay taxes and insurance and have to stress over whether the payment gets made for houses that aren't worth 1/2 what they were a year ago, in an area where SCUM have taken over. I guess I will no longer own the houses that I have fought so hard to hang onto for 27 yrs. Oh well, time to go forward. Get rid of ALL connections to this GOD FORSAKEN state and PRAY that anyone I care about still trapped here will get their asses out. The only way I see CA ever being a decent place again is through an act of God. I really think that the "big one" is coming. This state has gone too far and is filled with EVIL criminal scumbags who really do believe that everything is here just for them to take. It would even be better if they did believe that it was theirs so they have a "right" to take it back, but they don't. They are like animals. They don't think, they just break in and live somewhere and if someone runs them off the PACK moves to another empty shelter they can squat in. It never crosses their mind that a house with the utilities on, with a working washer and dryer and a refrigerator probably ISN'T up for grabs. They just break in. My former tenant said he was completely moved out by the 2nd week of August so these scum squatters did all that damage in about 3 wks. time. Thank you liberal CA assholes for STEALING my home that I built with my own hands and the help of friends with only $4,000, no job and no husband to help. Oh well, guess at least this time when I build up, I will be doing it with no job and no help but at least it will be in a state that doesn't BEG scum to invade. God help anybody that even DARES to try and talk amnesty, diversity and "they only come here to work" to me in TEXAS. I will not allow Texas to be destroyed the way CA has been. Here's a clue. With all that "cheap" labor provided by illegal aliens, they're the only ones still in CA. All those liberals that wanted houses built for "low income" people, well they have plenty to choose from. IN EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD IN THE STATE, including THEIRS. I can't find a property manager to handle my property because EVERYONE is trying to rent out their houses and those "cheap labor" scum won't pay any money to rent (why bother when there are so many that they can just break into). People who have low payments are trapped or have to rent to scum. NOPE! It is not worth the stress of trying to hold onto my property. Thanks a lot HUD, greedy realtors, greedy developers, greedy lenders and all the other greedy scum that gave houses to fellow scum. They destroyed everything that made this state great. The schools, the roadways, the homes and with all the pollution, even the weather. When I was living in the bigger house, people used to leave notes on my door, until about 5 yrs. ago., wanting to rent the smaller house just so their kids could go to the local school. It WAS the highest rated school in SoCal. NOW no decent person would allow their child to be forced to associate with the scum that has overcrowded that school. My next door neighbor is a teacher at one of the local schools and HER kids go to private school. It's horrible but at least I wasn't trapped like so many. I got out late (moved to Texas in March, 200 BUT I GOT OUT and I never want to look back I HATE IT IN CA and I hate having to just give up what I worked so hard for but in the long run it will be a blessing. Mom's house in Anaheim (which I am rehabbing since her death) is at least in an area where (as long as you sell for 1/2 what it should be worth) it will sell. Having to come back to CA to take care of this business is like going from heaven to hell and I sure don't ever want to see my "home" state again. The liberals and the illegals and their supporters got their wish. They have taken over CA and it is true "wherever there is a Mexican, it is Mexico" complete with filth, disease, drugs, crime and neglected litters of offspring. I still have a hard time understanding how anyone can take pride in breeding like animals and having unsafe sex. Here's a clue. Rats will F--- anything and have 7-8 offspring NOT PEOPLE.
    Oh, Kia, this is just so horrible. This shouldn't have happened to you or any other American. I am so sorry. The American dream is lost in Southern California. Your experience is a warning for the rest of America. This situation could be our future unless we stop illegal immigration. What a horror you describe. I read your story to my husband and I wasn't halfway through reading it before he is fuming mad and asking why the cops weren't called. I told him to wait and let me read the rest to him. Then he was flabbergasted. I told him that as a citizen of California, you don't have any recourse but to walk away from your property. There are few options for anyone with property in Southern California to seek redress for damages done and property value lost. How much longer, before homeowners cannot even obtain insurance in Southern Cal? I'm surprised that policies are still even being written there. Heck, we had a few hurricanes and so many insurance companies pulled out of Florida, that the government was required to create a pool of the uninsured and underwrite some of the insurance costs. It is a little better now, but insurance costs are almost prohibited in some areas. The deductibles are high and it is like carrying a second mortgate on your home. With the budget problems that California has, I predict it will only get worse as more Americans opt to exit California. There will be fewer people there paying taxes and the situation will continue to degrade. I am so glad you have gotten out of that hellhole, Kia. And like you, I feel so sorry for those who are stuck in situations as you describe. Clearly there is a breakdown in civil services and the court system, that is irretrievable. The infrastucture will follow. I pray that your story gets forwarded over and over again. People need to hear what is instore for them if we don't turn this invasion around and reclaim our lands. It couldn't be more clear that Mexico is succeeding in a take over of our lands. kassy

England said he "would lean closer to the side of adequate" when describing the jail’s conditions, but said he was surprised that immigrants were not appointed a lawyer for free if they can not afford one, as is the practice in criminal courts.
    Where on earth do they find people like Mr. England? Why should taxpayers provide illegal immigrants with lawyers? Is he crazy? It would literally jam up the system and cost billions of dollars. ITS SO SIMPLE. JUST DEPORT THEM ALL.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast