Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Consulates make it easier for IAs to evade U.S. law

Rep. Bill Sali: Consulates make it easier for illegal immigrants to evade U.S. law
    READER'S VIEW: Mexican Consulate
    BY REP. BILL SALI - Idaho Statesman
    Edition Date: 04/16/08

The planned opening of a Mexican consulate office in Boise is causing serious concerns for many Idahoans. Other Mexican consulates provide services that help illegal immigrants evade U.S. law and gain access to services at taxpayer expense. Idahoans expect a consulate in our state will do the same. I think they are right.

For example, consider the consular "Health Windows" program. This is a health care program for Mexican nationals in the United States, including those here illegally.

The Los Angeles Times reported on "Health Windows" on May 31, 2007. In their story, reporters Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar and Anna Gorman wrote that Health Windows "makes referrals to U.S. hospitals, health centers and government programs where illegals get health care without any fear of being turned over to immigration authorities."

The story goes on to quote Rosalba Hernandez, who told the L.A. Times, "Being undocumented, we thought we didn't have the right to certain things. We were scared to ask for information." Now, according to the story, Hernandez or her boyfriend, also here illegally, can get U.S.-taxpayer supported health care without fear of deportation.

On May 23, 2007, the New York Times reported on the new Mexican consulate office in Little Rock, Ark. That story contains an interview with Roberto Gonzalez, an illegal alien who went to the consulate office in order to get a special ID card known as a "matricula consular." Mr. Gonzalez told the newspaper the card will help him continue to stay in the United States illegally. "I will be able to open bank accounts, pay water and light bills, have an easier life here with the consulate and the documents they give," he told the paper.

While Mexican consulates can be important to advance trade and other legitimate interests, consulates clearly do more than that - and most notably provide services that make it easier for illegal aliens to evade U.S. law.

Additionally, Mexico's consulates have lobbied local and state governments for special rights and privileges for illegal immigrants and have helped illegal immigrants avoid deportation.

In a recent letter I asked Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to investigate these and other issues which seem to recur at existing Mexican consulates.

I told Secretary Rice that Idahoans welcome the presence of legal Mexican immigrants in Idaho and also welcome facilities that would enable them to obtain necessary services from their home government.

But I believe there should not be a hurry to open a consulate in Idaho when our problems with illegal immigration are at a crisis level.

The consulate can wait until our problem with illegal immigration is brought under control. If it is opened now, it will likely only make things worse. The fact is Mexican consulates offer health care programs to illegal aliens as well as identification cards to people who, if they were here legally, would already have valid, verifiable identification.

Even the FBI has concluded that consulate-issued ID cards are among the most abused documents in circulation in America.

The bottom line is this: There is plenty of evidence to support my contention that a consular office in Boise will be exploited to provide support to illegal aliens. This support will allow illegal aliens to remain in Idaho undetected. That is why I presently oppose the opening of a Mexican consulate in Idaho.

Rep. Bill Sali represents Idaho's 1st District in the U.S. Congress.
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/readersop ... 53369.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Consulates make it easier for IAs to evade U.S. law

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    Rep. Bill Sali: Consulates make it easier for illegal immigrants to evade U.S. law
    READER'S VIEW: Mexican Consulate
    BY REP. BILL SALI - Idaho Statesman
    Edition Date: 04/16/08

But I believe there should not be a hurry to open a consulate in Idaho when our problems with illegal immigration are at a crisis level.

Did you say CRISIS LEVEL Congressman?

The consulate can wait until our problem with illegal immigration is brought under control. If it is opened now, it will likely only make things worse. The fact is Mexican consulates offer health care programs to illegal aliens as well as identification cards to people who, if they were here legally, would already have valid, verifiable identification.

You don't say!?

Even the FBI has concluded that consulate-issued ID cards are among the most abused documents in circulation in America.

Whoa Nellie! Tell that to Baca and Pelosi and the Hispanic Caucus and the Presidential candidates the Democratic leadership.

The bottom line is this: There is plenty of evidence to support my contention that a consular office in Boise will be exploited to provide support to illegal aliens. This support will allow illegal aliens to remain in Idaho undetected. That is why I presently oppose the opening of a Mexican consulate in Idaho.

Congressman have you signed and Discharge Petition for the Save Act to help against theses types of abuses?

Rep. Bill Sali represents Idaho's 1st District in the U.S. Congress.
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/readersop ... 53369.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sure seems to be what they do here. They tell them who to go to, who to see to help them continue to break the law. What employment agencies to go to, landlords...on down the line. Anyone who will not question their legal standing.