Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Controversial candidate Katherine Harris campaigns in FL

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/ar ... 14,00.html

Controversial candidate Harris brings campaign to Stuart, Port St. Lucie
    By MARGOT SUSCA
    margot.susca@scripps.com
    July 4, 2006

Lightning-rod political figure Katherine Harris made two Treasure Coast appearances Monday to her Republican party faithful as part of an effort to boost grass-roots support in an uphill battle against incumbent Sen. Bill Nelson.

Harris spoke at Republican headquarters in Port St. Lucie and Stuart, pitching tax relief to jumpstart business, tougher immigration laws and heightened border security between the United States and Canada.

"We don't talk enough about the Canadian border," Harris said in Port St. Lucie. "They've got signs written in Arabic up there. The bleeding in America is our borders."

Roxeanna Boyette, 69, who attended the meeting, seemed to be in agreement. Speaking of illegal immigrants, Boyette said, "I hear they're walking right through the woods."

Harvard-educated Harris addressed small groups of between 20 and 25 on Monday, espousing homeland security fixes that included sending unmanned satellites patrolling the nation's northern and southern borders.

The crowds were small, but one political observer blamed the holiday and not the candidate, noting that such compact campaign stops are a growing trend during this mid-term election season.

"You really see the Republicans in Florida trying to make it a more localized election," University of South Florida political science professor Susan MacManus said. "A lot of the candidates are combing the rural areas because the turnout is there."

Today, Harris is visiting one of Indian River County's wealthiest communities after a private invitation to the John's Island Club's July Fourth celebration in Indian River Shores.

"She'd have to be the guest of a member," club Membership Assistant Dennis Dingman said. "This isn't open to the public. You can't even come in the gate unless you're a member or a guest."

Harris spokesman Chris Ingram said John's Island member Winston Hamilton invited Harris. Ingram called Hamilton a "personal friend of Katherine," but said he didn't know much more. He said the connection is personal, not political.

During Monday's visit, even in rooms filled with lifelong Republicans, Harris faced doubts about her ability to attract registered Democrats to her cause, an ability that MacManus says is crucial to winning elections in a state divided almost evenly between the two major parties.

Local Republicans talked about the event that brought Harris to the national stage overnight and that may cause Democrats to tune her out —the 2000 presidential election when, as Florida secretary of state, she declared George W. Bush had won the state.

GOP officials said they have to focus on Democrats willing to hear her message on conservative values. It's a tougher sell for those who automatically equate her face with an Al Gore loss.

"I cannot re-convert a Democrat who is a single-issue person on that issue," said Allen Miller, a state Republican party member from Fort Pierce. "It's a waste of our assets."

Assets generated at the local level are important to Harris' campaign. The national party largely has ignored Harris, a 49-year-old U.S. Representative from Longboat Key who has pledged $10 million of her own fortune towards the campaign. Of the $10 million, Harris said: "It's not enough."

To make up for that lack of support, Republicans such as Miller and Sewall's Point's Cynthia Lucas vowed to push harder passing out flyers and bumper stickers and going door-to-door to get out Harris' message of opposition to abortion and support for the war in Iraq.

A Quinnipiac University poll released Friday shows Harris trailing Nelson by 33 points but it also highlights a trend the candidate is hoping that handshakes and small gatherings will overcome. Of 1,311 residents interviewed for the Connecticut university's poll, nearly one-third said they had scant information to form an opinion.

Kathy Bradley, a 65-year-old Jensen Beach resident, says she was impressed with Harris' 10-minute speech Monday in Stuart, though she is saving her vote and 100 percent backing for a later date.

That type of reluctance also has led some in the part to wonder whether she will also have trouble attracting moderate Republicans in an election in which President Bush's coattails are shorter.

State Sen. Ken Pruitt, R-Port St. Lucie, skipped the event but said the no-show was less national party influence than working in his office and planning the July 4 holiday.

"Please don't take my not being there that I'm not supportive," Pruitt said by telephone. "I've already got an endorsement letter for her and I'm fully supportive."

Staff writer Henry A. Stephens contributed to this report.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Alot of people down here think she is some kind of kookbag, but I for one think that it's time for a change. Bill Nelson has been around and done nothing for too long. A typical carrier politician.
    <div align="center">"IF it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-Dial 1-800-USMC"</div>

I am not crazy about her but Nelson has got to go. I cannot see how she can be worse.

For me personally Nelson has an opposite stance on almost every issue. He is especially bad on illegals.

http://www.electharris.org/news/Read.aspx?ID=63

Here is an outline on where she stands on some issues vs. Nelson. Take it for what it is worth. You can check out her voting record with the house.

She was on This Week in So. Fl. and admitted that she is for a pathway to citizenship.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

I'n not trying to tell anybody who to vote for. And I know squat about Bill Nelson. But if you think K Harris is anything but a reproduction of the Bush family you are sadly mistaken. She is an integral part of the Bush team. How about None of the above! We have got to change somewhere. We get frick & frack to vote for and hold our nose saying "Well it is the lesser of two evils" I don't pretend to have the answer but we will never get away from what we have by voting for frick or frack.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

You are so right. This is the perfect case of the 2 evils. I already know Nelson needs to go. He is worthless. Nelson's immigration votes in the senate are wide open borders and citizenship for any and all. Harris' votes over the years in the house are so-so, some for America some against. I know she is for guest workers, which means she is for amnesty. There is just no where to turn in this senate election.

Harvard-educated Harris..
    DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

She thinks like Bush, acts like Bush and will agree with everything Bush signs behind close doors. I'm not a democrat and I will not vote for Bill but at least I won't vote for neither them, I receive an email about Noha for the senate. Do you know anything about?

http://www.noah2006.com/index.php?optio ... e&Itemid=1

I read her website and I like a lot of her platforms. However, the only thing she addresses as far as illegal immigration is securing our borders "by whatever means necessary" and employer enforcement. She does not address illegals already within our borders.

I emailed her asking for her stance. If I get a reply I will post it here.[/quote]

I'll be waiting for your post. If she is the right person we should start helping her campaigne.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast