Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    Mike Joyce is a hero in my book!
    In my book, too, Rockfish.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    Mike Joyce is a hero in my book!
    In my book, too, Rockfish.
    Ditto for me and I don't mean to sound like a copycat but Mike Joyce IS a hero.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

I received this earlier tonight.

Dear xxxxx,

If we were in fact doing anything remotely close to what you imply then I would share your concern.

The Town of Cary has not nor does not contribute tax money for illegal purposes – directly or indirectly - and if you have any information to the contrary, please get that to the proper authorities ASAP. I assure you it will be immediately addressed. Mr. Joyce’s allegation we are funding groups who support illegal activity has simply not been proven to be accurate. The organizations which sponsor cultural festivals are legitimate 501c3 non profit groups who have been thoroughly investigated and have also gone through a background check – any hint of impropriety would immediately be cause NOT to support. I am saddened that my good friend Michael resigned & I sincerely regret that, in my opinion, his legacy, unfortunately, will be that of a QUITTER and not one of principal. I hope time will prove me wrong.

Let me share the perspective of what many of us on Council have come to realize is the opinion of the vast majority of the citizens of Cary - at least based on the overwhelming feedback we received to date.

We are truly blessed to be a culturally rich, diverse community of over 60 nationalities. People move here for the ‘QUALITY OF LIFE’ which we afford to all our citizens. They know Cary invests in not only basic infrastructure needs but also those amenities we have come to value and embrace. That includes parks, greenways, recreation, and yes – festivals. In the past we have provided assistance for a Celtic festival to celebrate our European heritage, a Humsub festival to celebrate our Indian heritage and a Chinese New Year festival to celebrate our Asian heritage. And we do all this with the lowest combined tax and fee rate in Wake County!!

If you believe all this investment in our people and community is an inappropriate use of taxpayer money, then we clearly have a difference of opinion on our values and priorities and, respectfully, we will simply have to ‘agree to disagree’. Let me assure you where we 100% agree is that no tax monies be spent in support of illegal activities or ‘illegal immigrants’.

On August 5th at the Koka Booth Amphitheater we have the Ritmo festival where the Cary community can experience cultural diversity and artistic expression with musicians and artists from Argentina, Peru, Honduras, Mexico & the Tropical Islands. Let me suggest you consider attending and experience Cary in a whole different light – who knows you may enjoy it!

Best wishes and thanks again for writing.

Jack Smith
    Mayor Pro Tem
    Cary, NC
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The organizations which sponsor cultural festivals are legitimate 501c3 non profit groups who have been thoroughly investigated and have also gone through a background check
    Sooooooo, I take it then that they would also fund Muslim non-profits who funnel money to terrorists? Alrighty then........sounds like a solid criteria Oh, by the way, those background checks have certainly worked so far, eh?

I received this reponse last night.

-----------------------------

Dear Ann,

You are making some very serious allegations and I share your concern.

The Town of Cary has not nor does not contribute tax money for illegal purposes – directly or indirectly - and if you have any information to the contrary, please get that to the proper authorities ASAP. I assure you it will be immediately addressed. Mr. Joyce’s allegation we are funding groups who support illegal activity has simply not been proven to be accurate. The organizations which sponsor cultural festivals are legitimate 501c3 non profit groups who have been thoroughly investigated and have also gone through a background check – any hint of impropriety would immediately be cause NOT to support. I am saddened that my good friend Michael resigned & I sincerely regret that, in my opinion, his legacy will be that of a QUITTER and not one of principal. I hope time will prove me wrong.

Let me share the perspective of what many of us on Council believe to be the opinion of a vast majority of the citizens of Cary - at least based on the feedback we received to date. We are truly blessed to be a culturally rich, diverse community of over 60 nationalities. People move here for the ‘QUALITY OF LIFE’ which we afford to all our citizens. They know Cary invests in not only basic infrastructure needs but also those amenities we have come to value and embrace. That includes parks, greenways, recreation, and yes – festivals. In the past we have provided assistance for a Celtic festival to celebrate our European heritage, a Humsub festival to celebrate our Indian heritage and a Chinese New Year festival to celebrate our Asian heritage. And we do all this with the lowest combined tax and fee rate in Wake County!!

If you believe all this investment in our people and community is an inappropriate use of taxpayer money, then we clearly have a difference of opinion on our values and priorities and, respectfully, we will simply have to ‘agree to disagree’. Let me assure you where we 100% agree is that no tax monies be spent in support of illegal activities or ‘illegal immigrants’.

On August 5th at the Koka Booth Amphitheater we have the Ritmo festival where the Cary community can experience cultural diversity and artistic _expression with musicians and artists from Argentina, Peru, Honduras, Mexico & the Tropical Islands. Let me suggest you consider attending and experience Cary in a whole different light – who knows you may enjoy it!

Best wishes and thanks again for writing.

Jack Smith
    Mayor Pro Tem
    Cary, NC
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

Looks like he uses the old copy and paste doesn't it Annie?

Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf
    Looks like he uses the old copy and paste doesn't it Annie?
    Sure does, had-enuf,

Here is an article in the Cary News relating to this situation that I don't see posted at Alipac in a separate thread. Did a search too.

http://www.carynews.com/149/story/4065.html

Festival Ritmo Latino showcases culture

Jennifer Trujillo twirls her dress as she performs on the stage during Festival Ritmo Latino at Koka Booth Amphitheater.

Photo by Chris Reynolds for the Cary News

Festival Ritmo Latino showcases culture

Eddie Ortiz came to Cary for Festival Ritmo Latino for the music and the food.

The event, sponsored by Cary-based Diamante Inc. Saturday at Koka Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park, focused on Hispanic culture and arts.

Ortiz, who heard about the event on National Public Radio, came from Jacksonville.

“I came here actually to see the guy Luisito Rosario,” said Ortiz, who was carrying a heaping plate of rice and beans, plantains and empanadas.

Ortiz called his feast “awesome.”

Missing from the 10-act event was any sign of the controversy that Diamante has been drawn into recently.

Former Cary Town Council member Michael Joyce followed through last month with a threat to resign if the town granted $5,000 to the group for the event. Joyce said later that he was also resigning for business reasons.

Joyce said he objected to what he called Diamante’s support of illegal immigration.

Lizette Cruz-Watko, the group’s founder and executive director, has said that Diamante is in no way political.

Local Realtor and Diamante director José Serrano said he was hoping more people would come out. A few hundred had turned out by midafternoon.

“I wish the general public appreciated the diversity of music and culture,” Serrano said. “I’m from Chile and people think I’m from Argentina. It’s like confusing a Texan and a New Yorker.”

Cary resident Pepe de la Tore, brother of and manager for Santino, one of the headline acts, bustled around the venue and made sure his brother was properly promoted.

“This is my hometown, so I want this to be perfect,” de la Tore said.

Not all the arts were music and dance on the stage.

Freelance photographer Jose Galvez of Durham had a display of his work set up on the covered crescent at the back of the amphitheater.

Many of the Pulitzer Prize-winner’s photographs included American flag imagery.

“It’s part of a bigger theme that I’ve been working on since 9/11, which is that Latinos are still very patriotic, especially those that are American,” Lopez said. “The non-Hispanics don’t realize that.”

All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.

Did Cary spend any money on the 4th of July? Didn't mention that in their list of tax paid parties! Also, did the Hispanics receive a high amount of funds compared to the other groups listed? I would dig in on this. How much of the fiesta literature was printed in Spanish?

Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Did Cary spend any money on the 4th of July? Didn't mention that in their list of tax paid parties! Also, did the Hispanics receive a high amount of funds compared to the other groups listed? I would dig in on this. How much of the fiesta literature was printed in Spanish?

Dixie
    These are good questions, Dixie, and our local schools in the same county (Wake) sure spend a lot on bilingual this and that.

I live approx. 25-30 miles from Cary that is a sub of Raleigh and known for "Progressiveness" and I suppose PC views as well.

I know you are far away in Texas so let me explain: C.A.R.Y. stands for two things: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees (and I'm one so to speak so I'm not casting any stones :P ) The other meaning is "Center for Anal Retentive Yuppies."

I wonder if other forum users here living in this area have some more sayings.

I gave them my input as well. I hope we have sent too many emails and crashed their server.

I guess I'd better - where's Sippy with the keg?
    Chey, sorry I'm late, but here's the keg.

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast