Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Courts say 'hola' to grants

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/j ... to-grants/

The Rev. Simon Leon is used to getting calls at his home at all hours from non-English speakers who face court charges.

"They are concerned because they don't know the system, the laws, nothing," he said. "It can be an intimidating thing. I try to calm them down."

Leon is one of two interpreters who regularly serve Spanish-speaking people at the Vanderburgh County Courthouse.

This week, Vanderburgh and Warrick counties were among 38 in the state to split a total of $168,250 in grants to help pay for court interpreters.

Warrick County received $1,250 and Vanderburgh County received $4,000.

The grants are part of an effort by the Indiana Supreme Court to increase access to justice, especially for those who do not speak English.

An emphasis on supporting court interpreters grew after the Supreme Court's Race and Gender Fairness Commission in 2000 recommended Indiana join a national group that certifies court interpreters. Since the state joined the consortium, 43 interpreters have been certified in the state.

The grant money comes from $100,000 set aside by the Indiana Legislature and $68,250 contributed by the Indiana Supreme Court.

Awards this year ranged from $250 to $30,000. Allen County, Ind., received $30,000 because of a death-penalty case for a Spanish-speaking defendant that will likely be tried this year.

Leon said in Vanderburgh County, the grant is money well spent. He spends every Monday and every other Wednesday assisting Spanish-speaking clients at the Vanderburgh County Courthouse. On Mondays, he helps from 12 to 31 clients and on Wednesdays, he assists in eight to 20 cases.

"Often these people have a lot of questions about where they can go and how to pay fines," Leon said. "They are worried about not getting things done the way they are supposed to and going to jail."

For the most part, Leon said the people he interprets for are eager to comply and relieved to have his assistance.

"I also teach a court-ordered drug and alcohol class for Hispanics on Saturdays and in four years of teaching the class, we've only had eight people not comply," he said. "They all know jail awaits, so they are good about it."

Leon has interpreted for the Vanderburgh County Courthouse for five years. He said the number of Spanish-speaking people he's assisted over the last five years has remained constant.

"In 2005, we did a study to see how many we were serving, and the number was 900," he said. "I think every other year has stayed close to that number."

Vanderburgh Court Administrator Kelly Ward said this marks at least the third year the county has received the grant.

Ward added the county sees defendants who require translators in many different languages.

"I think we've even had to find a Russian interpreter one time," she said. "But the interpreters we need are primarily for the Spanish-speaking population we have here."
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.

I don't get it.......why are they pandering to illegals? Isn't it obvious that they must be illegal or they would be learning/speaking English? And they are given money to interpreters to make the court process easier when they should be in jail or deported for breaking the law by illegally crossing borders!
    "Remember the Alamo!"

Kraztnbama, Our court system is getting clogged up with these people.
    I see more and more news stories about illegals getting arrested every day.
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.

another waste of American taxpayers funds.