Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CREDIT CARDS FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS CAUSE CONTROVERSY

Credit cards for illegal immigrants cause controversy

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

Sunday, February 25, 2007

NORTH COUNTY ---- One of the country's largest banks caused a storm of controversy when it recently began issuing credit cards to people without Social Security numbers, most of whom are believed to be illegal immigrants.

In response to the criticisms, Bank of America Corp. officials said last week that the pilot program, unveiled in the Los Angeles area, does not specifically target illegal immigrants and complies with all federal banking laws.

Critics say the bank is helping illegal immigrants live, work and prosper in the United States.

"Bank of America needs to realize that the citizens of America run this nation, not big business," said William Gheen, a spokesman for the National Illegal Immigration Boycott Coalition, a group urging people to protest the Bank of America program and other banks that serve illegal immigrants. "And the current law states it is a felony to aid and abet illegals inside the U.S.," he said.

Not everyone thinks pursuing customers who may be illegal immigrants is a new ---- or bad ---- idea.

"This is not new," said Raoul Lowery Contreras, an opinion columnist who occasionally contributes to the North County Times and who is a former real estate loan officer with Citibank. "It's been going on for years."

After requests for an interview by the North County Times, Bank of America replied in a written statement:

"The issue of customers' citizenship, tax paying status is not any bank's focus. Know your client, Patriot Act issues and compliance with any government required documentation are our concern. This matter reflects the reality of all banks, and many retailers and U.S. businesses."

Financial analysts say that many banks have been lending to illegal immigrants since the Treasury Department released regulations, under the anti-terrorism Patriot Act, saying that financial institutions could accept identification cards issued by foreign governments, including Mexico's card, called the matricula consular.

Critics of the matricula consular say it is not a secure document and therefore weakens protections intended under the Patriot Act. Supporters say that accepting it encourages immigrants to assimilate into the country's financial mainstream, making the system more secure.

Not accepting the card would "drive large sections of the U.S. population to underground financial services, and weaken the government's ability to enforce money laundering and terrorist financing laws," wrote former Treasury Secretary John Snow in a letter to Congress in 2004.

Immigrants offer customer potential

Latinos make up about 45 million of the nation's 300 million people. They also make up about 80 percent of the country's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, a nonpartisan research organization supported by The Pew Charitable Trusts.

Bringing illegal immigrants' predominantly underground economy into the mainstream makes fiscal sense, analysts say. And their numbers are vastly under estimated, according to Bob Justich, a senior managing director at Bear Sterns, an investment, securities trading and brokerage firm.

Justich wrote a report estimating that the illegal immigrant population is closer to 20 million and makes up about 8 percent of the work force in the United States. He and other analysts say immigrants from Latin America send home more than $40 billion each year.

Most of those remittances are sent though commercial wire services, but bank systems are growing fast in popularity among recent immigrants, according to a survey released in October by the Inter-American Development Bank, an internationally owned bank that promotes economic development in Latin America.

Of the estimated $45 billion sent home in 2006, $13 billion was sent by immigrants from California, according to the survey.

More than half of the 2,511 people surveyed said they used wiring services, such as Western Union, to send money. But the share of those who said they used banks to send money grew from 8 percent in 2004 to 19 percent in 2006, according to the report.

The report estimates that Latin American immigrants earn about $500 billion a year, most of which stays in the U.S. economy. But only about half of the respondents said they had bank accounts.

That means immigrants make very tempting potential customers for banks, Contreras said.

"These people generally deal in cash," he said. "So they have cash around, and (financial institutions) want it in the banks."

In recent years, banks in the United States have started offering checking accounts and mortgages to illegal immigrants. But illegal immigrants have had little access to credit cards, making it difficult for them to establish a credit history.

Credit history an issue for immigrants

Opening bank accounts and establishing a credit history helps immigrants working in low-wage jobs save money, said Consuelo Martinez, an immigrant rights activist in Escondido.

Martinez, who said she worked for five years in the banking industry, said immigrants often have to pay exorbitant fees to cash their paychecks, pay bills, send money home and get loans for large purchases.

"A lot of these people don't have credit, so they have to pay through their nose for a car loan," she said.

Bank of America's program allows people to use taxpayer identification numbers issued by the Internal Revenue Service to people without Social Security numbers to open credit card accounts.

The bank permits customers who have had a checking account for three months without overdrafts to qualify for a $500 line of credit. There is a $99 security payment, which is refundable within six months if the customer stays within the credit limit.

Kenneth Lewis, chief executive officer at Bank of America, wrote an opinion piece published Thursday in The Wall Street Journal defending the program. He said he has heard the complaints about the new credit offers, but plans to continue the program in Los Angeles.

He did not mention whether it would be expanded nationwide, as previously reported.

"We know some will find this unacceptable," Lewis wrote. "Even so, we feel we have a great obligation to live by the laws of the land and to serve our customers and to do our part to support the security of our nation's financial system."

Opposition mounting

Gheen, with the Boycott Coalition, said his group will continue to target banks that cater to illegal immigrants. As of Thursday, the group said it has collected through its Web site more than 12,000 petitions pledging to boycott Bank of America.

"Most Americans haven't been aware of this, but more and more people have been smelling a rat," Gheen said.

Gheen said his coalition includes nearly 100 organizations, including the North County-based San Diego Minutemen and San Diego Border Alert.

Some in Congress have also begun to take notice. Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colorado, is a leading voice for tougher immigration enforcement. He recently called on Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff to look into the matter.

"After Sept. 11, we were told that money was the lifeblood of terrorists, and that we should do everything possible to block their access to financial resources," Tancredo said in a statement. "Today, we are hearing a far different message: Bank of America, it's everywhere terrorists want to be."

Rep. Brian Bilbray, R-Solana Beach, said Thursday that he also wants Congress to review banking regulations under the Patriot Act.

"There is a conscious effort to circumvent the legislation," he said. "They may get away with it for awhile, but I think consumers will revolt."

Contact staff writer Edward Sifuentes at (760) 740-3511 or esifuentes@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/02 ... _24_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Go way to keep track wrote on February 25, 2007 12:26 AM:"Why all the uproar? I think this is a perfect way to locate and deport if these people are really as you all say or think illegal immigrants. Brian Bilbray needs to shut up and start doing something for us. He seems to be all talk and no action."

james wrote on February 25, 2007 12:41 AM:"I am the american hispanic reporting again. I am fully american but I have that hispanic background. I beleive this is terribly wrong. I was a formal employee of Wells Fargo and no longer because I can not stand by and watch americans who need financial help get turned down because they are not home owners and watch home owners with horrible credit and bankruptcy and people who do not show social security numbers get what ever they want because they are a home owner. yes you can own a house here with out even being a citizen. And as long as home owners rack up debt including illegals the banks will give them what ever they want. Well I said no more. The banks have no right to issue money with out a social security number because that would defeat the purpous of a credit report. We were taught to turn down all non home owners and use the phrase because of your credit score we could not fund the loan. But now illegals get money over non home owners, people you should be ashamed of yourselves. Stand up and demand if they get credit then you can no longer turn me down for a loan because of my credit score. Credit scores should mean nothing and every one should get money at any time from a bank."

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

"The issue of customers' citizenship, tax paying status is not any bank's focus. Know your client, Patriot Act issues and compliance with any government required documentation are our concern. This matter reflects the reality of all banks, and many retailers and U.S. businesses."

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Go way to keep track wrote on February 25, 2007 12:26 AM:"Why all the uproar? I think this is a perfect way to locate and deport if these people are really as you all say or think illegal immigrants. Brian Bilbray needs to shut up and start doing something for us. He seems to be all talk and no action."

james
    wrote on February 25, 2007 12:41 AM:"I am the american hispanic reporting again. I am fully american but I have that hispanic background. I beleive this is terribly wrong. I was a formal employee of Wells Fargo and no longer because I can not stand by and watch americans who need financial help get turned down because they are not home owners and watch home owners with horrible credit and bankruptcy and people who do not show social security numbers get what ever they want because they are a home owner. yes you can own a house here with out even being a citizen. And as long as home owners rack up debt including illegals the banks will give them what ever they want. Well I said no more. The banks have no right to issue money with out a social security number because that would defeat the purpous of a credit report. We were taught to turn down all non home owners and use the phrase because of your credit score we could not fund the loan. But now illegals get money over non home owners, people you should be ashamed of yourselves. Stand up and demand if they get credit then you can no longer turn me down for a loan because of my credit score. Credit scores should mean nothing and every one should get money at any time from a bank."

Shirlock wrote on February 25, 2007 3:23 AM:"My daughter was a victim of last year's UCLA computer-hacking problem. Now she gets regular phishing attempts in her college email account from B of A even though she has never had any other contact with this bank. It makes you wonder. The inexperienced and large number of college age kids are probably a lucrative market for the theft of ID's. This bank and its policies disgusts me!"

Randy wrote on February 25, 2007 3:37 AM:"Bilbray fails to distinguish between a terrorist and an illegal alien. Businesses operate worldwide, not just in the U.S. Perhaps Bilbray is just upset that credit cards will provide a way around the usurious "payday lenders.""

AN OUTRIGHT LIE wrote on February 25, 2007 3:52 AM:""In an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal, Bank of America CEO Kenneth D. Lewis made clear the bank would not kill the program, which he said was intended only to offer services to customers lacking credit backgrounds, and was not initiated to target illegal immigrants in the U.S." the only people without social Security Numbers are illegal Aliens and the test city of Los Angeles, has the highest concentration of Illegal Aliens in the nation."

Hey Martinez wrote on February 25, 2007 3:54 AM:"You left out the word "Illegal" in calling your buddies immigrants. They may pay higher interest rates on car loans, but they pay no income taxes, get free health care, free meals for their cell phone carrying children at school, and don't forget the $481.00 per month they collect for EACH child they give birth to. Martinez, you work in a bank, come on, you cash all their welfare checks as well. So I have no pitty that they may have to pay for a higher interest rate for a luxury item like a car!!! Get real!!"

Syl wrote on February 25, 2007 3:54 AM:"If Bank of America is not GREEDY, then why do they charge over 23% interest on these Special Credit cards?"

Skip wrote on February 25, 2007 4:11 AM:"RE: Latinos make up 80 percent of the country's estimated 12 million >>>> Seems a bit low to me as I believe based on what I have read that there are over 20 million illegal Aliens in the United States. For the people who ask why Americans seem to pick on Illegal Alien Mexicans, here is your answer. At least in California Illegal Mexicans do make up the majority of the Illegal Alien population. Why do you think there are so many Mexican Flags at the protest rallies?"

Skip wrote on February 25, 2007 4:42 AM:"RE: The issue of customers' citizenship, tax paying status is not any bank's focus. >>>> Go to the Bank of America webpage in Spanish, and you will see big headlines that say you can send Money to Mexico for free! And 1 day service at over 4500 locations throughout Mexico. TAXES! We don't care if you pay Taxes! Billions of Dollars are being sent out of the country tax free while schools and hospitals are going broke, or being heavily subsidized by the American taxpayers."

Adam wrote on February 25, 2007 4:50 AM:"OK, we all know that Banks have been doing this for awhile now, but what really annoys me is that the president of Bank of America does a full page interview in a major New York Business Newspaper and then lies about it. When he said that B of A was not targeting this program to Illegal Immigrants without Social Security Numbers, then why is it being test marketed in Los Angeles? And why did he say that they will do it whether Americans approved of it or not. I thought Americans made up the greatest customer base for B of A, or am I mistaken?"

Ingrid wrote on February 25, 2007 5:05 AM:""Bank of America does not deliberately market financial products and services to illegal immigrants from any country", is what the CEO Kenneth D. Lewis, had to say. Then the bank launched its pilot program in the City of Los Angeles, to people who do not have Social Security cards and routinely use Matricular Consular cards for Identification."

From Their WebPage wrote on February 25, 2007 5:11 AM:"Bank of America remains committed to preventing our institution from being used, in any manner, by persons engaged in transactions or other activities designed to conceal the true source of funds derived from criminal activity or used to fund criminal activity, including terrorism. Even unintentional and indirect involvement in criminal activity is of great concern to Bank of America's management and shareholders since Bank of America wants to prevent such activity and since the public's confidence in the institution may be undermined through such activity. "

Matricula Consular Card the Most Insecure Document wrote on February 25, 2007 5:15 AM:"While preventing the misuse of Bank of America by terrorists and other criminals is of vital importance, associates must not draw conclusions about customers and their banking activities based solely on the customers' religious affiliation, ethnicity, or national origin. Take reasonable steps to determine the true identity of all customers and beneficial ownership of accounts with Bank of America. "

Immigrants offer customer potential wrote on February 25, 2007 5:37 AM:"The issue of customers' citizenship, tax paying status is not any bank's focus."

Gary in Murrieta wrote on February 25, 2007 5:43 AM:"MYTH: Matricula Consular cards are official identification issued by the Mexican government to its citizens and are a proper and reliable form of identification for Mexican workers in the United States. FACT: The Justice Department and FBI have concluded that the Matricula Consular is not a reliable form of identification due to the non-existence of any means of verifying the true identity of the cardholder. The documents used to obtain the Matricula Consular card have been found to be easily counterfeited. Even worse, Matricula Consular cards have been issued upon as little as the word of the person requesting one that they are indeed who they claim to be. The Mexican government has no centralized database to coordinate the issuance of Matricula Consular ID cards. As a result, one person can procure several cards, even under different names. http://www.house.gov/garymiller/Matricu ... Facts.html"

Gary in Murrieta wrote on February 25, 2007 5:43 AM:"MYTH: Eliminating the use of Matricula Consular ID cards would deny many Mexican nationals access to mainstream financial services, such as bank accounts, credit cards, and loans. FACT: According to the FBI, Matricula Consular cards are almost exclusively used by illegal aliens. Anyone here legally has valid identity documents they can present to open a bank account, such as driver's licenses, Social Security numbers, or passports."

LETS JUST IGNORE THE LAWS! wrote on February 25, 2007 5:49 AM:"RE : "A lot of these people don't have credit, so they have to pay through their nose for a car loan," she said. >>> Gee I wonder how many Unlicensed and Uninsured Motorists are driving around Escondido? Sorry Ms. Consuelo Martinez, but last time I checked, Illegal Aliens are not allowed to drive in California. Like it or not, An Illegal Alien in California is not eligible to get a Driver's License."

Dickey wrote on February 25, 2007 5:55 AM:"This is wrong on all angles... except for the money side of things, as this article points out. Which is even more disturbing. The mentality is there "Well, the money is out there. And we want it in our banks - let's sweeten the deal!" This is so wrong. And just maybe by Bank of America starting this they will be bringing to light the other financial institutions that have already been doing this. I say let's call the Border Patrol to set up shop outside the doors of Bank of America. Then they can work w/ our local police depts to do "driver's license check points"... this seems to weed out those here illegally better than anything. This is just unbelievable!"

UNTAXED INCOME wrote on February 25, 2007 6:03 AM:"RE:Of the estimated $45 billion sent home in 2006, $13 billion was sent by immigrants (Illegal Aliens) from California, according to the survey. >>>> And yet Hospital bills are ignored, and our schools are bursting. I am sick and tired of this double standard."

Sure James wrote on February 25, 2007 6:04 AM:"No wonder you are no longer in the banking business if you really ever were? It is unfortunate but if you do not pay your debts why on earth would a financial institution loan you any money? Where is there guarantee that it will be paid back? I think you are out of the banking because of your bad attitude, poor grammer and inability to use proper punctuation not because you could no longer take it. Money is money and it makes the world go round! Some financial institutions are getting it and they know that this country needs the immigrant labor and the immigrant dollar to support the U.S. economy illegal or not!!! We must not forget that if we look back at our famuly tree ALL of us are decendents of an illegal immigrant well unless you are an America Indian. So give it a rest already."

COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION LEGISLATION MEANS AMNESTY wrote on February 25, 2007 6:18 AM:"When legislators talk about comprehensive legislation in regards to illegal immigration, they are talking about giving amnesty to the estimated twelve to thirty-five millions of people who have broken our laws, the first one being that of entering the country without our permission. "

This is Pointless wrote on February 25, 2007 6:22 AM:"because the real problem is deciding whether the lack of ID will ever be used to filter people from mainstream society in the name of security. Namely, in 2008, the Real ID Act may be fully implemented, possibly making B of A's financial grab illegal. On the other hand, the negatives of the Real ID Act are so substantial, that many doubt that it will ever be fully implemented."

Cortez wrote on February 25, 2007 6:37 AM:"James I agree. I have been a wells fargo customer for over 10 years and if I wish to cash my check instead of depositing it into my account, I have to show a active major credit card or my ATM card plus my drivers lic. Talk about your double standards. I am also american hispanic. "

Up the United States, Down Bank of America: wrote on February 25, 2007 6:37 AM:" The answer is to run the illegals out of the country. All governments in the United States must start doing their job and arrest and hold illegals for prosecution. The borders must be closed and our country protected properly or we will live to regret it. There is one thing we can do that will make us all feel a lot better: CUT UP YOUR BANK OF AMERICA CREDIT CARD - REPLACE IT WITH A BETTER ONE. mine has been shredded a week."

To James
    wrote on February 25, 2007 7:12 AM:"I agree with you 100%. I belong to the Bank of America but come Monday I will no longer. My credit is not good enough to get one of the cards when they ran my social security number so I feel if they don't need a number to get a card neither do I. Sharon"

Kristie wrote on February 25, 2007 7:18 AM:"Our Federal Government should be checking for legal status before issueing ITIN numbers to immigrants. Again our Federal Government has a loophole or looks the other way. Illegal immigrants are buying house and have been buying houses for some time now. America needs to wake up to the fact that our do nothing government needs to hear from you regularly on the issue of illegal immigration before it's too late. Legal Immigration in controlled numbers keeps this country great, has a diversity of races, has health checks, criminal background checks, etc. Illegal Immigrants don't even have passports. Giving illegal immigrants amnesty sends the wrong message as it did in 1986. There are many people waiting in line to come here the legal route and illegal immigrants should not get to step in front of the line just because they broke into this country and got away with it for however many years. We need to secure this border and enforce our immigration laws. Our borders should be respected. We also need to think about the workers in our nation. Now our truckers are losing business because Mexico's trucks are going to get to drive directly into this country. We have two border patrolmen in prison and another one pending trial while doing their job. Why are we so much in bed with Mexico??? Our prisons and jails are full and a big percentage of these prisoners are illegal immigrants. If we deport them our borders are so porus they come right back to commit another crime. Our schools are having to deal with spanish speaking kids while still maintaining a high level in testing. Illegal immigratns children that are born here can now allow the illegal immigrant to collect $500 a month per child in welfare etc. Along with WIC and Free school lunches. What about the nonpaid bills and benefits when it come to healthcare. The tax payers in this country are fools for allowing this to continue. We can help people in their own countries if you so choose. This country should not be invaded. The democrats in our state assembly, senate, and House of Rep. want to continue to use our taxpayers money to cater to illegal immigrants. Check out their voting records. If you are hiring illegal immigrants you are undermining our system and adding to the problem for cheap cash under the table labor and more and more illegals wanting to break into this country. You are only thinking about yourself and not the overall consequences. Those that drove the freeways on May 1st last year during the boycott saw how illegal immigrants are affecting the overcrowed freeways. Our familymembers could not believe the ease and time saved on our roads and freeways. Wake up American citizens of all races! This is your country being invaded."

El Roberto wrote on February 25, 2007 7:22 AM:"Those terrible illegal Mexicans getting credit over Americans..Do you know how silly that sounds?"

Free Enterprise at Work wrote on February 25, 2007 7:40 AM:"It is not the function of private business to create or enforce policy, nor is it the function of goverment to get involved in private commerce. These people are obviously a huge part of our economy. Hats off to B of A"

Mike from Hemet wrote on February 25, 2007 7:46 AM:"I was born in MA 33 years ago; legal US citizen born to legal US citizens. I have bad credit due to unpaid medical bills. I have been with BofA for 7 years, yet how come I haven't been offered that credit card? I get turned down every where I apply, every time. This is just another example of these people walking across the border and being told 'here's your welfare check.' I agree with James--bacause of this, credit scores should no longer mean anything!"

Pat wrote on February 25, 2007 7:47 AM:"What no one has mentioned is that these matricula ID cards can be purchased no matter who you are from people who deal in forged documents. Terrorists can easily get accounts at banks like B of A and Wells Fargo and establish themselves in any community without a social security card or adequate documentation. This is yet another example of business greed at the taxpayers expense. We pay the healthcare, schooling, welfare etc for those here illegally and the banks profit. We are radidly becoming a country that only selectively enforces laws for the benefit of the powerful. Next time I open a bank account lets see if I can do it without a social security card and ultimately the taxes due agaist that number. The same laws should apply to all!"

Economic Ron
    wrote on February 25, 2007 8:06 AM:"I used to have a Wells Fargo account at the branch on the corner of Escondido Ave and Santa Fe in Vista. I got tired of having to walk through the loitering groups, so I moved my money to another bank. I told the branch manager why I was leaving them. He told me, they had complained to city officials, but with no effect. I then told him, I noticed people waiting in line for a teller holding a Matricula Consular card, along with their checks. He told me this was an acceptable piece of identification to them. We talked a bit about the security of the card, but it was obvious he had no control, the banking regulations he followed came from his corporate office. The only way these banking institutions will get the message is for law abiding Americans to withdraw their money from those banks that chose to go down this road. But you have to be informed, and respond."

David
    wrote on February 25, 2007 8:06 AM:"Once again BOA has done it again. They have refused business to the Boy Scouts of America. Now they are extending credit to illegal aliens. BOA needs to change its name to DOA. What kind of message does thing bring to the legal immigrants? Should we complain to BOA? Just don't do business with them. "

Yup wrote on February 25, 2007 8:07 AM:"My husband and I are switching to his credit union at work and getting out of Bank of America as I write this. This is what U.S. citizens need to do to stop this madness. Enough talk on this subject and more action from people that are fed up with big business and our own government, that once again cater to the invaders."

dave wrote on February 25, 2007 9:39 AM:"who cares!"

MVet wrote on February 25, 2007 9:40 AM:"In an online survey, 81 percent of 457 respondents think Bank of America is encouraging illegal immigration and should stop. Only 19 percent think the bank should be able to pursue any customers it wants within the law. "

Headlines from Metro Phoenix's East Valley region wrote on February 25, 2007 9:45 AM:"Over $300K seized from ‘coyotes’ who use banks to funnel funds. Hundreds of Arizona bank customers who hold accounts that flow with tens of thousands of dollars in out-of-state deposits. Authorities allege they are funneling money for drug and human smuggling operations. "

Laura wrote on February 25, 2007 9:48 AM:"I am so glad that Bank of America can assure American citizens that accounts set up by illegal aliens will not be used to fund drug smuggling, people smuggling, or weapons of mass destruction. I feel a whole lot better now because Bank of America says it knows its customers."

Beth-SM wrote on February 25, 2007 9:57 AM:"Let me see, they get $481 mo per child until the kid is 18 yrs old! What a deal no 5 year limit either. This sounds like racism and discrimination on the basis of race and origin. Hmmm haven't things changed. Sounds to me like it went full circle. I can just see it now. with high balances on their credit cards, when times get tough they will just skip back across the border. jUST LIKE ALWAYS."

Concerned... wrote on February 25, 2007 10:09 AM:""Financial analysts say that many banks have been lending to illegal immigrants since the Treasury Department released regulations, under the anti-terrorism Patriot Act, saying that financial institutions could accept identification cards issued by foreign governments, including Mexico's card, called the matricula consular." The key word here is "could accept" id cards. Some banks may not accept the matricula consular card. Sounds like an important question to me."

Bren wrote on February 25, 2007 10:12 AM:"Anyone who was turned down due to a bad credit score, no credit history, etc. should file a lawsuit based on discrimination. You can guarantee that soon, others throughout the country will be doing the same thing. How can they be doing credit checks on illegals if they do not have a SS number? Simple, they can't. That means that they are extending credit to these people, no matter what their background or financial history. This is discrimination, plain and simple. Go to your local Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Chase, Wachovia, etc. and apply for credit/home loan. If you are turned down, file a lawsuit."

Loriann wrote on February 25, 2007 10:21 AM:"How can B of A offer mortgages to illegals when you have to be a citizen to buy a home in California...legally that is. I have closed all my accounts with B of A and I have been with them for over 30 years."

Interest Payer wrote on February 25, 2007 10:26 AM:"Where is the rest of the story? What about the write-offs that will be left for people with SS $'s to pay off when they skip the country? How many people have left BOA? I Know of several and we aren't in the LA area!"

HIddenmeadowsmom wrote on February 25, 2007 10:28 AM:"Once again, it's about the money. I'm currently a BofA customer and have a good friend who manages a branch for the company. I will close my bank account. All BofA cares about is getting money from anyone! When will our cities get some of this so called "cash" to help with schools, hospitals and other areas in need?? This is a very bad idea. And if you think someone is going to get deported because we know where they are, you're crazy. We know where these illegals are, we just don't deport them!! Heaven forbid should our government protect us and deport the illegals. "

Scott wrote on February 25, 2007 10:37 AM:"Thank you James. That was insightful. I didn't realize it was that bad."

TOVR wrote on February 25, 2007 10:45 AM:"Let's get to the facts. Every bank and credit union can and will and does this--BofA isn't doing this alone. So all of you people closing and boycotting BofA are dumb. You close your accounts and guess what the new bank is doing it too. This credit card isn't targeted to illegals just those without a ssn. A foreign student coming here on a VISA doesn't have a ssn. I am keeping all my money at BofA! "

BofA is going to get stuck with a lot of bad loans wrote on February 25, 2007 11:06 AM:"I hope the government doesn't bail them out."

QUESTION wrote on February 25, 2007 11:06 AM:"How do you get a tax id if illegal? To work in the US don't you need some form of ID. I know I can't get a job without an SS#. I think I may take a 2nd job if I can get a fake ID#"

John wrote on February 25, 2007 11:14 AM:"BanK of America should be shut down, Plain and simple, Its all about GREED.WERES THE US BANKING COMMISSION?"

Close Accounts wrote on February 25, 2007 11:24 AM:"American citizens should close all our accounts at Bank of America and any other banks that cater to illegals who thumb their collective noses at our federal immigration laws. Maybe that would be a wakeup to BofA and a notice to other banks that we will not stand by while they sell out America for their bottm line profits. Also, we all need to be very aware and concerned about "immigrant rights" activists, actually "illegal rights" activists who continue to defend the "rights" of those who break our laws."

had_enuf wrote on February 25, 2007 11:48 AM:"I personally have more than $300,000 in various BofA accounts and I can promise you that I will be moving all of it if BofA pursues this course". "My $300,000 may not be much in the grand scheme of things, but I'll wager that there are a lot of us who feel the same way. "

Anna wrote on February 25, 2007 12:37 PM:"I'm an American of Hispanic descent, but I am an AMERICAN FIRST! I am sick and tired of the business, corporations, and most of all our government saying Hispanics as if that categorized all Hispanics in 1 group! THOSE OF YOU WHO DO THE SAME, I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU, Y O U A R E W R O N G! We the American Hispanics or any other ethnic background only have the AMERICAN in common. Therefore we do not have any thing in common with the illegals of whatever country they come from. The ILLEGALS coming from central and south America, are not not a part of US! Don't lump us all together, it is the most offensive comparison. We Americans are for the rule of law. The illegal aliens are just that...nothing Hispanic about it! Just the slang, that tries to sound like the Spanish language. Most of the illegals who come to this country are illiterate, their use of the Spanish language is not proper, the use of their mind to analyze and make good decisions is not proper, they are mostly alcoholics, beggers, and criminals. WE ARE NOT ALL HISPANICS! DON'T CONFUSE THE AMERICANS OF HISPANIC DESCENT WITH THE ILLEGAL ALIENS ENTERING WITHOUT THE LEGAL AUTHORIZATION OF OUR NATION,BY THE RULE OF LAW. AND, WITH THE DUE RESPECT FOR OUR LAWS. NOT AS GANGS OF CRIMINALS INVADING OUR LAND, DEMANDING BENEFITS AND RIGHTS THEY ARE NOT ENTITLED TO. lET THEM GO BACK TO THEIR COUNTRIES TO DEMAND THEIR RIGHTS. THIS IS OUR COUNTRY AND WE'LL HAVE A REVOLUTION TO DEFEND IT IF NECESSARY!"

Closing Accounts wrote on February 25, 2007 12:38 PM:"Hello Close Accounts...don't you understand that ALL banks can open these types of accounts and THEY DO!!! Closing your accounts at BofA is stupid and I will LEAVE all my accounts there and I have lots of $$$. Go to another bank or credit union and what they won't tell you is THEY OPEN accounts for anyone who passes the Patriot ACT guidelines for identification. "

common sense wrote on February 25, 2007 12:41 PM:"this is just another outrage on American Citizens. These big corporations, money grubbers, and the Bush Administration are using illegal aliens for their own purposes. We must enforce our laws. We must impeach Bush before he can do any more damage. Close the borders and deport illegals."

I am astounded! wrote on February 25, 2007 12:51 PM:"That our American Banks can actually do this. I agree with "close accounts" that we have to take charge, since our our Government won't. We are not talking about immigrants rights, it is illegal aliens non-rights. "

Paul wrote on February 25, 2007 1:24 PM:"I understand BofA's desire to make money...it is the American way, after all. However, what is the difference between the monetary benefit BofA is deriving from illegals and the monetary benefit your local contractor or sweatshop derives from illegals by hiring them and not paying workers comp and other taxes. Law prohibits the contractor's form of graft. Shall the same not be applied to BofA?"

Matricula Consular ?? wrote on February 25, 2007 1:35 PM:"The key language in the article says that banks "could" use the matricula consular card as proper ID, but I believe not all banks consider this a legitimate form of ID. Check with your banks people..."

Not Closing Accts wrote on February 25, 2007 1:51 PM:"You people closing your accounts at BofA are not getting the facts. Go to Wells, Mission Fed etc and they are doing the same thing. So where you gonna keep your money now? In a mattress. Grow up and read the truth. Go after the government for the Patriot Act that allows this, not the banks that are following the rules. You are all immigrantphobic!"

Most Commented-On
    Stories This Week

Man stunned by Vista deputies' Taser dies at hospital (96)
    Letters to the Editor - 2/21/2007 (76)
    War protest draws hundreds into the rain (71)
    Credit cards for illegal immigrants cause controversy (71)
    High profile raids leave immigrants in fear nationwide (70)
    Letters to the Editor - 2/20/2007 (67)
    Man shot with Taser had history of cases (61)
    Letters to the Editor - 2/19/2007 (60)
    Letters to the Editor - 2/22/2007 (59)
    Letters to the Editor - 2/24/2007 (4

http://www.nctimes.com/opinion/

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Someone explain to me who the hell will be picking up the TAB for all the foreclosure and defaults coming this way? Hmmmm??????

Federal?

Well, THAT'S THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER's MONEY
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Not Closing Accts wrote on February 25, 2007 1:51 PM:"You people closing your accounts at BofA are not getting the facts. Go to Wells, Mission Fed etc and they are doing the same thing. So where you gonna keep your money now? In a mattress. Grow up and read the truth. Go after the government for the Patriot Act that allows this, not the banks that are following the rules. You are all immigrantphobic!"
    OK People what's the answer, and we can post a rebuttal.

R/ Skip

Comments On This Story

To : Not Closing Accts wrote on February 25, 2007 2:57 PM:"Here is the short list of banks that do not accept the Matricular Consular Card: County Commerce Bank, OCTFCU (Orange County Teachers Federal Credit Union), Golden 1 Credit Union, Provident Bank (Pueblo Bank & Trust Co), Bank of New York, La Jolla Bank, Navy Federal Credit Union, Treasury Bank (see Countrywide Bank), Countrywide Bank (Treasury Bank) (Countrywide Financial), Los Padres Bank, and World Savings (Golden West). I say this is the short list becaues there are three times as many banks in california that do accept the matricular consular card."

The Law wrote on February 25, 2007 3:00 PM:"Aiding and abetting illegal aliens is a felony under federal law Section 8 USC 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv)(b)(iii). This law has a six year statute of limitations and companies currently violating these laws can be prosecuted up to six years in the future. "

Candy wrote on February 25, 2007 3:08 PM:"I'm an American! American born. I am German and Irish. In America I am considered "White". I have found it interesting that "Black" people and "Hispanic" people get special treatment. We have "Black History Month" and the Hispanics are now getting credit cards without a social security number. Why don't we have "White" history month? OR German history month, Irish history month, Italian history month, Asian history month, etc. (Just a thought) I agree with the person about this being a way to round up illegals. Sounds like a good idea to me. But this is not about "busting" or rounding up illegals; it's about Bank of America seizing a money opportunity. ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL. There have been many immigrants who have come to this country and obtained U.S. Citizenship legally. I don't understand how people can come here and DEMAND that we change our rules and/or policies to obtain legal residence/citizenship based simply because they work here. What?! NO OTHER COUNTRY APPROVES CITIZENSHIP FOR THAT REASON! Could it be that Mexican's really do not want to be Americans? That's the message they're sending. It's obvious that because there is a large illegal population here, they expect legalization because of that fact simply work here and there are so many of them. So what! It may take time, but either apply for legal citizenship or deport. Like I said, illegal is illegal and EVERYONE if they truly want to be an AMERICAN needs to respect this country's rules/policies for legal citizenship. Not everyone ECCEPT Hispanics whether they work here or not. In my personal oppinion, B of A customers need to CLOSE their bank accounts and send a clear message to BANK OF AMERICA! "

jean wrote on February 25, 2007 3:10 PM:""Who in America doesn't have a Social Security number?" asked one reader. "Illegal immigrants. Obviously, Bank of America doesn't care that it's helping these lawbreakers. Shame on them.""

Really? wrote on February 25, 2007 3:14 PM:"Bank of America is too big and powerful to really care what most Americans think. "

Candy wrote on February 25, 2007 3:15 PM:"NO! WE ARE NOT IMMIGRANTFORBIC! GET A GRIP! This country is made up of immigrants! The issue is the L E G A L I Z A T I O N OF I L L E G A L S !!! UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! D O N ' T B E S T U P I D O N P U R P O S E! "

Bank Of America wrote on February 25, 2007 3:16 PM:""After a week of listening to our customers, we have made a decision. We will continue our card marketing pilot program in the Los Angeles market." Bank of America knows that because of industry consolidation Americans don't have a whole lot of banking choice and even fewer options when it comes to obtaining credit cards. In other words, you may be unhappy about what we're doing, but where are you going to go? "

MVet wrote on February 25, 2007 3:19 PM:"We live in the age of plastic. Nobody carries much cash anymore, not even illegal aliens - not if they live anywhere near a branch of the Bank of America in Southern California. The B of A has started a new program in Los Angeles County, offering credit cards to individuals who have no Social Security number and no proof of citizenship - as long as they maintain a bank account for three months with no overdrafts."

Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing wrote on February 25, 2007 3:20 PM:"The Patriot Act, which amends the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), was adopted in response to the September 11 terrorist attacks. The Patriot Act is intended to strengthen U.S. measures to prevent, detect, and prosecute international money laundering and the financing of terrorism. These efforts include new anti-money laundering (AML) tools that impact the banking, financial, and investment communities. Under the Patriot Act, persons who are or are required to be registered as futures commission merchants (FCMs), introducing brokers (IBs), commodity pool operators (CPOs), and commodity trading advisors (CTAs) are subject to new requirements for establishing AML programs, reporting suspicious activity, verifying the identity of customers, and dealing with certain types of accounts involving foreign persons. http://www.cftc.gov/cftc/cftcaml.htm"

Verifying the Identity of Customers wrote on February 25, 2007 3:23 PM:"The Patriot Act requires Treasury to issue rules setting forth minimum standards for financial institutions to identify and verify the identity of customers. http://www.cftc.gov/cftc/cftcaml.htm#verifying"

FBI WEBSITE wrote on February 25, 2007 3:26 PM:" The U.S. Government has done an extensive amount of research on the Matricula Consular, to assess its viability as a reliable means of identification. The Department of Justice and the FBI have concluded that the Matricula Consular is NOT a reliable form of identification, due to the non-existence of any means of verifying the true identity of the card holder. The following are the primary problems with the Matricula Consular that allow criminals to fraudulently obtain the cards: http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress03/mccraw062603.htm"

Dawn wrote on February 25, 2007 3:26 PM:"This is just so stupid. I have been with Bank of America since 1986. If they continue to do this, I will close all my accounts with them. I say make it a sting operation and when illegals come in for their credit cards, take them to the back of the bank and into a bus, back to mexico. !!! This will just be an other example of how they will drain our economy !! We have to close so many hospitals because they drained all the money out of them, hit and run accidents because they don't have the right to be here.. It just goes on and on... It needs to stop right now !!! I watched the tv news where over a million illegals walked the streets in LA, Calif. with their stupid flags, and such, where were all the buses to ship them all back home ? "

Dug wrote on February 25, 2007 3:29 PM:"Take a look at the Economic Vision of David Wilkerson. Keep an eye on your back account and be ready to take your money out when the time comes."

To Not Closing Accts wrote on February 25, 2007 3:33 PM:"The government isn't going to do anything because they want this just as much as the banks do. You are a fool if you think the government is going to help you out on this issue. You grow up! And why are we immigrantphobic, because we don't want invaders in our country taking over our banks? Yeah that makes sense."

To not closing, wrote on February 25, 2007 3:38 PM:"That is your decision, not mine. I will check the policy of any bank before I do business with them. There are plenty of banks who follow the law. We are trying to go after the Government. We know Bush won't do anything, so the Citizens are forced to do what we can. I don't know how many ways this can be said before you understand. We are not against immigrants, we are against illegal alien lawbreakers. Got it now? "

American Citizen wrote on February 25, 2007 3:40 PM:"Illegal immigrants are law-breakers first; cheap and exploitable labor second. Fine, we all understand this. Apparently B of A (and the credit card industry) isn't able to squeeze enough credit-card-debt-profit out of American citizens any longer and have developed a credit card product to get illegals' money. There's some kind of equity going on here - but I'm not sure what it is...equal opportunity credit card debt? Does anybody think high interest credit cards serve anyone's best interests?"

Jay wrote on February 25, 2007 3:41 PM:"Jeeze, they won't even let me fill out a credit app without an SS number! BOA just recently bought one of my charge card companies. I'm going to pay it off and cut it up."

Randy wrote on February 25, 2007 3:41 PM:"You should be content to live in the U.S., where people desperately want to move, and NOT Mexico, where people desperately want to leave!"

NativeAmerican wrote on February 25, 2007 3:45 PM:"Impeach Bush and all the so-called legislators who have put ILLEGAL aliens before the American people. Secure the border, enforce the law, no guestworkers,no amnesty,deport ALL illegals & build the freaking fence! "

To Bren wrote on February 25, 2007 3:59 PM:"Good idea! We should all go to Bank of America and Wells Fargo to open an account. If they make us show documents or give numbers that the illegals to not have show, then we can call the ACLU to file a discrimination suit."

Bobby
    wrote on February 25, 2007 4:19 PM:"Many of our ancestors worked until they wer dog tired to build up this nation. Many Americans do this today. They live honestly, pay taxes, and have put various entities over them, known collectively as law enforcement. They did this to make their lives and society tolerable and good. But now,certain elites in this nation are rejecting law enforcement on the border and in other instances, all in order to further their unmitigated greed. All of the candidates now running for office in 08 are serving these elites. Anyone who votes for the Hillarys, Brownbacks, Giulianis, Romenys, McCains, is agreeing with the agenda(outsourcing, insourcing, massive legal and illegal immigration,etc.)of these elits. All Americans will be left with is the voting for the choice of two evils outcome again. But voting for one of two evils is still voting for evil. Tom Tancredo,for President-2008-as a statement of utter rejection of those who are destroying the United States."

BOA and other banks wrote on February 25, 2007 4:46 PM:"selling us out on the greed factor. 21% interest rate? So what. Remember the Carter days? 21 % interest for a car loan. Matricular Consular card...not an acceptable form of ID. Loophole done by the Treasury Dept at the beck and call of BOA and other banks. Check you bank and if they use the Matricular card go elsewhere. "

Not Closing Accts wrote on February 25, 2007 5:22 PM:"Just wait, those other banks/credit unions will follow and start opening accounts for everyone."

PRIDE? NO, GREED! wrote on February 25, 2007 7:51 PM:"...goeth before the fall. So, what happens when all (or even a guaranteed good percentage) these illegals default on their credit? B of A will have no recourse against them! I want my money nowhere near B of A! Or, any other bank that decides to go with this type of plan."

City Account? wrote on February 25, 2007 8:19 PM:"Does the City of Escondido bank with BofA? The City should move its account if it does!"

Pension Funds wrote on February 25, 2007 8:27 PM:"Pension fund manager should be pressure into dropping investments in BofA!"

In Other News wrote on February 25, 2007 8:39 PM:"Federal authorities yesterday charged the former president of the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia, who serves as a leader of youth sports organizations in the state, with receiving and possessing child pornography. "

Jaremchuk wrote on February 25, 2007 8:49 PM:"You would have to be a fool not to know that Bank of America is going after the Almighty Dollar by welcoming illegal immigrants. It is bad enough that we have de facto sanctuary states (California is one) but now businesses such as banks are aiding and abetting lawbreakers."

parker wrote on February 25, 2007 8:52 PM:"Not about illegal aliens my rump! I suppose it was just a coincidence that BoA tested the waters in Los Angeles, which should be offically deemed the illegal alien capitol of the U.S. I also find it very telling that, while Lewis states that BoA will now accept "official" identification from foreign governments, he only discusses the Mexican matricular consular card, which is as FAR from "official" as you can get. Fact is, any spanish speaking person who appears ethnically Latin American can obtain a matricular consular, for free, at any Mexican consulars office by simply providing their name (fake or not) and Mexican birthplace (actual or not). Thats right folks, not a lick of documentation is required. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that legal immigrants have official U.S. documents/ID that proves their status...and illegal aliens don't."

Sandy
    wrote on February 25, 2007 8:55 PM:"A corporation should show some sense of obligation to the society that supports it and a willingness to uphold that society's laws. Bank of America shows no such responsibility with its plan to issue credit cards to illegal immigrants. "

Other views wrote on February 25, 2007 8:57 PM:"The bank will be making America's illegal immigration problem worse. It will be exploiting mostly poor people by sucking them into high-interest credit card debt. But the bank will be expanding its business, which is all that really matters. ... This is about quality of life, all right. But the quality of life of illegal immigrants isn't likely to be enhanced by credit card debt. And the general quality of life in this country isn't likely to be improved by more criminal behavior in the form of illegal immigration."

tyler wrote on February 25, 2007 9:39 PM:"The best way to help solve this problem of BOFA soliciting Illegals for credit cards is to change the law. These banks make the laws to take advantage of any situation they can. The citizens of this country should be outraged. One way to change things is refuse to bank with them, and complain to your represetatives until this changes. The banking industry is not there to do the right thing unless they are "FORCED" to."

take back America! wrote on February 26, 2007 12:14 AM:"it should be called Bank of Mexico. Since credit is reported based on SSN#, what happens when the high percentage of illegal immigrants stops paying their Visa bill? Hopefully the boycott will work (where do I sign up?), but even if it does, then BofA will one way or another manage to toss onto the (true) American taxpayer the cost of all of these defaulted loans. Another example of how big business is ignoring what us Americans want and need. It's all about money."

John wrote on February 26, 2007 7:31 AM:"BOA could care less what people think as long as they are able to increase their profit margin. Greed is good."

ray wrote on February 26, 2007 7:37 AM:"this is capitalism and is the future wethr you like it or not, money runs everything including you.......or not?"

inky wrote on February 26, 2007 7:40 AM:"Ten years ago when i was newly seperated from my marriage, i was almost broke. Although i had been paying bills responsibly for decades (including a mortgage), had worked and paid taxes and had an excellent credit rating, suddenly i was unable to rent an apartment anywhere and when i applied for a BofA credit card was given only a $200 limit. My former card's limit was thousands of dollars. So it makes me sick, the thought of treating law-breakers better than we treat our own tax-paying, law-abiding citizens who have run into some misfortune. And if individuals can receive credit without social security numbers, just WHOSE credit reports will these show up on? I had a credit report disaster when someone by the last name of "Perez" showed up on my report, it's a nightmare trying to straighten that out. So what's the point of laws if we allow them to be broken? And i've been wondering, can i go to a fine hospital in Mexico and get free medical care? "

Once again? wrote on February 26, 2007 11:50 AM:"Why was it that all you losers voted for George Bush? Twice? What a bunch of cry babies... you are getting exactly what you asked for."

dave wrote on February 26, 2007 2:15 PM:"Who cares? It's the banks money. "

El Roberto wrote on February 26, 2007 2:54 PM:"dave wrote on February 26, 2007 2:15 PM:"Who cares? It's the banks money. " REPLY: The bank makes a profit or loses money (it's their money), they also have bilingual services (Its their money) They decide what demographics they want to serve (It's their money) They have bank alliances with other bank overseas that provide services to travelers like myself (Its their money)...get over it you bunch of phobies."

Academic wrote on February 26, 2007 3:56 PM:"Thank you American Republican politician Jack Kemp for being on the “Board of Advisors” of Hispanic National Mortgage Association with alliances with “Wells Fargo” and “Deutsche Bank” whose goal it is to make mortgage loans to people without Social Security numbers, based right here in San Diego! People without Social Security numbers is considered an emerging market and these loans have higher fees and interest rates associated with them. Our economy is about making money, we all have seen Wal-Mart’s strategy to make money at the expense of their employees and communities they serve, so why should we be surprised that banks and finance companies are doing the same. Its about making money and as long as they do not break existing laws who is to stop them. You, “Joe Sixpack” have not stopped Wal-Mart, do you real think you can stop Bank of American, Wells Fargo, Deutsche Bank or even “Hispanic National Mortgage Association” who has the blessing of our beloved professional football star, American Republican politician, Jack Kemp. Its American as apple pie! "