Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cross-border program would open up trucking

Cross-border program would open up trucking
    By Chris Roberts / El Paso Times
    Article Launched: 10/20/2007 12:00:00 AM MDT

A federal cross-border truck inspection program would allow about 100 U.S. companies to operate in Mexico for the first time and about 100 Mexican companies to operate in the United States beyond the commercial zone, which is about 25 miles from the border.
    Friday, members of a group led by U.S. Secretary of Transportation Mary E. Peters visited a commercial vehicle-inspection station in El Paso to observe safety inspections required of all Mexican trucks entering the United States under the program, said Brian Turmail, a Transportation Department spokes man.

Peters has said the inspection program will ensure Mexican trucks meet the same safety requirements that U.S. trucking businesses must meet.

Opponents of the cross-border inspection program have said Mexican trucks will cause safety and pollution problems and economically undercut U.S. trucking companies.

Peters and other supporters say the program will allow U.S. truckers to compete in Mexico.

"The point of the trip was to educate two key members of Congress about the strict safety standards we've put in place for this project and demonstrate how it benefits U.S. truck drivers and lowers costs for U.S. consumers," Turmail said.

U.S. Reps. Silvestre Reyes, D-Texas, and Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., accompanied Peters.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_7230553
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Peters and other supporters say the program will allow U.S. truckers to compete in Mexico.
    I hate to say this but it will only be certain truckers that would ever even consider driving in Mexico...and I can darn sure say I don't want nor do I foresee lower prices...since NAFTA...everything is more expensive...and most of it is cheaply made crap
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Quote Originally Posted by redbadger
    I hate to say this but it will only be certain truckers that would ever even consider driving in Mexico...and I can darn sure say I don't want nor do I foresee lower prices...since NAFTA...everything is more expensive...and most of it is cheaply made crap
    Yeah, I seem to remember a good many American's who held manufacturing jobs 12+ years ago being promised they would not lose their jobs when NAFTA was being hyped.

We won't be fooled again.