Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cruz: Rubio Broke Promises From 2010, And Supports Citizenship, I Would ‘Enforce the

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cruz: Rubio Broke Promises From 2010, And Supports Citizenship, I Would ‘Enforce the

Video at source link.
    ~~~

Cruz: Rubio Broke Promises From 2010, And Supports Citizenship, I Would ‘Enforce the Law’ On People in the US Illegally

by IAN HANCHETT
    18 Dec 2015

Republican presidential candidate Texas Senator Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) stated that he would “enforce the law” when asked what he would do with illegal immigrants in the US, argued that his amendment to the Gang of Eight bill didn’t allow legalization and was designed to defeat the bill, and that Rubio broke the promise he made on immigration when he ran for the Senate in 2010 during an interview broadcast on Friday’s “On the Record with Greta Van Susteren” on the Fox News Channel.

Cruz was asked, [relevant remarks begin around 3:50] “There are 11 to 12 million people illegally here in this country. What would you do with those 11 or 12 million people?” He answered, “I would enforce the law. What does federal law say? If you apprehend someone here illegally, you deport them.”

He was then asked, “you would do a round up of 12 million people?” Cruz responded, “If you or I crossed into another country, if we crossed into China, or Germany, or France, or Mexico, they would deport us. Why do American laws deserve less respect than every other country’s?”

Van Susteren pressed, “are you saying that you would deport 12 million people?”

Cruz said, “Let me provide absolute clarity on this issue, and I actually thought the debate was very valuable. You know, the most important statement at that debate, was for the first time in five debates, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) made explicit number one, that he supported Barack Obama and [Sen.] Chuck Schumer’s (D-NY) amnesty, but number two, that he still supports it. … here’s what Marco said explicitly Tuesday night, that today, right now as a presidential candidate, he supports granting citizenship to 12 million people here illegally.”

Cruz added, “he had been trying to run away from that [the Gang of Eight bill]. In the first four debates, he had run away from that he was pretending he no longer supported his own bill.”

Van Susteren cut in to ask, “How would you get those 12 million out of the country?”

Cruz stated, “Let me explicit on the difference, because, listen, Senator Rubio’s campaign, they’re very concerned, because conservatives are uniting behind our campaign. So, they’re trying to confuse everyone. So, let’s provide some absolute clarity, Senator Rubio supports amnesty. I oppose amnesty. Senator Rubio supports citizenship. I oppose citizenship. Senator Rubio supports legalization. I oppose legalization. Senator Rubio joined Chuck Schumer to fight for the Gang of Eight. I joined with [Sen.] Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), [Rep.] Rep. Steve King (R-IA), and the American people, and we defeated the Gang of Eight.”

Van Susteren followed-up, “How are you going to get 12 million people out of the country?” Cruz answered, “You enforce the law. And so I’ve laid out, you want chapter and verse? … So, the full detail is on our website, tedcruz.org. I’ve got 11 pages, single-space of full detail, but let me give you the overview. We will build a wall that works, existing federal law requires 700 miles of double-layered fencing. We will triple the Border Patrol. We will increase fourfold the fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft. We will put in place a strong biometric exit-entry system, because 40% of illegal immigration doesn’t come across the border, it’s visa overstays. We’ll put in place a strong E-Verify system. We will end sanctuary cities.”

Van Susteren responded, “That prevents 12 million from getting 13 million, but what are you doing with the 12 million already here?” Cruz stated, “When you apprehend them, you deport them.” When asked if he would “send out a force” to find people in the US, Cruz stated, “We will use our existing Border Patrol and customs enforcement to enforce the law.”

Later, he was asked, “So, you’re not going to affirmatively go out and look for them?” To which he answered, “Of course you are. That’s what existing law is.”

He was then asked, “if you become a president Ted Cruz, you’re going to send some law enforcement out to pick up the 12 who are here illegally?” Cruz answered, “Do you know how many people Bill Clinton deported in eight years, how many? 12 million. And how many did George W. Bush deport? 10 million. … Well, how did Bill Clinton do it? How did George W. Bush do it. You can enforce enforce the law. The problem was, when they deported those folks, Greta, they came right back in, because we didn’t have the borders secured, so it’s why I start with border security.”

Van Susteren then followed up, “anybody who gets picked up who’s here illegally, will get sense home, right?” Cruz responded, “You follow the law. That’s what the law says.”

Cruz was then asked, “But you’re not going to form some sort of independent law enforcement, or create an executive order to tell people to go out get these people, are you?”

He answered, “We actually have law enforcement, it’s called the Border Patrol. It’s called Immigration and Customs Enforcement.”

Van Susteren objected, “They’re not running around Washington, DC right now picking up people.” Cruz countered, “They are charged with securing the border, and enforcing our immigration law. So, let’s take 2013, for example. In 2013, the Obama administration released 104,000 people, criminal illegal aliens, they released them. They released 196 murderers. They released roughly 400 with sexual assault convictions. We can enforce the law. What’s missing is the political will to get it done.”

The discussion then turned to the Gang of Eight bill and Cruz’s amendments to it. Van Susteren read a letter Cruz signed that said, “Critically, the Committee rejected an amendment [sponsored by Cruz] that would have allowed immigrants here illegally to obtain legal status — to come out of the shadows and work legally — but not to be eligible for citizenship.”

Cruz pointed to other signatories of the letter, Sessions, Senator Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT), and Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA). He added that the amendment didn’t say illegal immigrants would have legal status, but rather would be permanently ineligible for citizenship and was “silent on legalization.” He added that Rubio was erroneously claiming that the amendment means he supported “every other bad aspect” of the Gang of Eight. He also maintained that if the amendment had been adopted, and the bill had passed, the Gang of Eight bill would have given legal status, not his amendment.

He further added, “I have never once supported legalization. I do not now and I will never support it.”

Cruz was also asked about the amendment, “So, it’s a poison pill? He responded, “It is calling their bluff, because what it did, is it revealed the hypocrisy. And I used, very deliberately, the language of the Democrats who were pushing it.”

Van Susteren then asked Cruz, “Why in the days and weeks and months after June 4th, 2013, did it never come up this was a poison pill?”

Cruz stated, “It came up over and over and over again. Chuck Schumer’s publicly said he knew it was a poison pill. In the last 24 hours, Senator Jeff Sessions has gone out publicly and said Ted is right and Marco’s not telling the truth. Senator Mike Lee has come out publicly and said Ted is right, Marco’s not telling the truth.”

Cruz was also asked, “you’re now saying that the whole purpose of the amendment back in 2013 that you put on it was a poison pill. It meant to and designed to kill the whole bill?” He responded, “And it succeeded. It called their bluff, and it succeeded.”

He concluded, “In 2010, Marco Rubio campaigned in Florida, he promised the men and women of Florida, if you elect me, I will lead the fight against amnesty, that was the promise he made. … When I campaigned in Texas, I promised the men and women of Texas, if you elect me, I will lead the fight against amnesty. we made the exact same promises to get elected. When we got to Washington in 2013, there was, as Reagan would put it, a time for choosing. And he made the decision, it was an unfortunate decision, to stand with Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer and the big money in Washington, and not only not to lead the fight against amnesty, as he promised the men and women of Florida, but to lead the fight to author the Rubio-Schumer amnesty bill, and I made the decision to honor the commitment I made to the men and women who elected me, and that is a fundamental divide.”

Earlier in the interview, Cruz was asked how he think Rubio would have voted on the omnibus bill had he voted. He answered, “Well, I do not know. I am not my brother’s keeper. He was not in the Senate, and so I imagine he was somewhere raising funds or doing something else other than standing up against the Washington cartel here in the Senate.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/...-us-illegally/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Greta should have played his videos for him. So what deal has he made with Schumer? Cover me now and I'll cover you later?
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Actually Cruz done pretty well for himself in that interview. Furthermore, speaking for myself, I'm buying what he said about the amendment being a poison pill because everyone knows the Democrats in the U.S. Senate and House would have never supported a bill that didn't include citizenship for the illegals. Seems I remember Nancy Pelosi even saying as much.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Actually Cruz done pretty well for himself in that interview. Furthermore, speaking for myself, I'm buying what he said about the amendment being a poison pill because everyone knows the Democrats in the U.S. Senate and House would have never supported a bill that didn't include citizenship for the illegals. Seems I remember Nancy Pelosi even saying as much.
    The bill passed, his amendment failed. A poison pill is when you introduce an amendment that passes and kills the main bill. His amendment didn't do that, because it failed and the main bill passed 68-32, by a landslide, by a Super Majority, 2/3 majority, enough to over-ride a Presidential Veto, enough to pass a Constitutional Amendment.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    The bill passed, his amendment failed. A poison pill is when you introduce an amendment that passes and kills the main bill. His amendment didn't do that, because it failed and the main bill passed 68-32, by a landslide, by a Super Majority, 2/3 majority, enough to over-ride a Presidential Veto, enough to pass a Constitutional Amendment.
    Please don't insult my intelligence. I know what a poison pill is.

Yes his amendment failed. Had it passed the bill would have been stopped in the senate because without a path to citizenship for illegals the gang of eight bill was doomed. Had the Cruz amendment passed, he would of been a hero for sinking the bill in the senate. However, since his amendment failed there are those that would wrongfully use the amendment against him, which is what's happening.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Please don't insult my intelligence. I know what a poison pill is.

Yes his amendment failed. Had it passed the bill would have been stopped in the senate because without a path to citizenship for illegals the gang of eight bill was doomed. Had the Cruz amendment passed, he would of been a hero for sinking the bill in the senate. However, since his amendment failed there are those that would wrongfully use the amendment against him, which is what's happening.
    No one is using the anti-path to citizenship amendment against him. We are using his statements supporting S 744 with legalization, increasing green cards from 675,000 to 1.3 million, his separate amendment to increase H1B visas from 65,000 to 300,000 and then lying on national Tee Vee in a political debate about his 2013 position on legalization against him.

Most of us want illegal aliens deported not legalized and we want legal immigration stopped or significantly reduced. We also want officials who tell the truth under oath in Congressional Hearings. Ted Cruz has been on the wrong side of these issues.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    No one is using the anti-path to citizenship amendment against him. We are using his statements supporting S 744 with legalization, increasing green cards from 675,000 to 1.3 million, his separate amendment to increase H1B visas from 65,000 to 300,000 and then lying on national Tee Vee in a political debate about his 2013 position on legalization against him.

Most of us want illegal aliens deported not legalized and we want legal immigration stopped or significantly reduced. We also want officials who tell the truth under oath in Congressional Hearings. Ted Cruz has been on the wrong side of these issues.
    Yes, you have used his "poison pill" amendment against him. Please don't force me to go on a discovery mission (dig up old post). Once again, the amendment was designed to sink the gang of eight bill. If the amendment would have passed, the bill would have died in the U.S. Senate because the Democrats were not going to support a bill that did not include a path to citizenship. Honestly, I do not know how to make this any easier to understand.

While it's true that Cruz did support a large increase in visas and green cards in 2013, he has since changed his position. Right now he is calling for a halt to any increases in legal immigration. Additionally, he recently submitted a bill to tighten restrictions on H-1B visas. Well, at least he has changed his position, which is more than I can say for Trump who has said all the "good" illegals can come back after deportation. To my knowledge he has not changed that position.

Trump #1, Cruz #2, everyone else doesn't even register consideration!

Yes, you have used his "poison pill" amendment against him. Please don't force me to go on a discovery mission (dig up old post). Once again, the amendment was designed to sink the gang of eight bill. If the amendment would have passed, the bill would have died in the U.S. Senate because the Democrats were not going to support a bill that did not include a path to citizenship. Honestly, I do not know how to make this any easier to understand.

While it's true that Cruz did support a large increase in visas and green cards in 2013, he has since changed his position. Right now he is calling for a halt to any increases in legal immigration. Additionally, he recently submitted a bill to tighten restrictions on H-1B visas. Well, at least he has changed his position, which is more than I can say for Trump who has said all the "good" illegals can come back after deportation. To my knowledge he has not changed that position.

Trump #1, Cruz #2, everyone else doesn't even register consideration!
    No, I have never used his anti-citizenship amendment against him. I have no problem at all with his anti-citizenship amendment. What I have against him is his efforts to increase green cards and H1B visas and his clear unabated support for legalization without citizenship and then lying on Tee Vee about it during the debate. I also hold his claiming he stopped S 744 and killed the bill, when he didn't kill the bill, it passed with a Super Majority in the US Senate. The US House of Representatives killed S 744, not Ted Cruz and not the US Senate. I also hold his vote for TPA for TPP against him.

And there's more:

http://www.cato.org/blog/ted-cruzs-m...gration-reform

November 13, 2015 8:38AM
    Ted Cruz’s Mixed Record on Immigration Reform
    By Alex Nowrasteh

Republican presidential candidates Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio both impressed audiences in the last debate. Senator Rubio’s positions on immigration are discussed frequently, but Senator Cruz is normally viewed as an immigration restrictionist – an unfair characterization. It’s more important to look at Senator Cruz’s actions when he offered amendments to the 2013 “Gang of Eight” comprehensive immigration reform bill (S. 744) than it is to cherry-pick a few quotes. Senator Cruz did end up voting against S. 744, but only after he offered many amendments.

Senator Ted Cruz was a tremendous supporter of skilled immigration and supported massively expanding the size of those programs, even beyond what was proposed in S. 744.

He offered four amendments (1324, 1326, 1586, 1587), to expand the number of employment based green cards to over a million annually. Senator Cruz offered two amendments (1325 and 1585) to increase the number of H-1B visas issued annually to 325,000 while S. 744 allowed an upward bound of 180,000 annually (with some upward adjustments possible). In other words, Senator Cruz’s amendment intended to practically double the number of H-1B visas over that which was proposed in the Senate’s 2013 comprehensive immigration reform bill. Amendment 1587 also increased the number of H-1B visas and employment based green cards. Senator Cruz’s amendments would have also allowed the spouses of all H-1B visa holders to work legally – going beyond President Obama’s actions to increase work eligibly for those spouses. Expanding the number of green cards and H-1B visas for skilled workers would have been a tremendous boost to the U.S. economy.

Senator Cruz also introduced two amendments (1322 and 1583) to guarantee that immigrants legalized under S. 744 could never naturalize. Importantly, he did not attempt to bar their ability to legalize their status, he just attempted to block their ability to naturalize – a position similar to that taken by Jeb Bush in his 2013 book Immigration Wars. Senator Cruz’s staff has claimed that these actions were intended as poison pills to kill S. 744. If they were poison pills, why did Senator Cruz seek to massively expand the highly skilled immigration system too?

Senator Cruz introduced six amendments (1482, 1584, 1582, 1580, 1323, 1321) to permanently restrict any legalized immigrant who had unlawful status, at any time, from accessing means tested welfare benefits or Obamacare benefits. He introduced as many amendments to bar their access to welfare and Obamacare as he did to increase the number of highly skilled immigrants. He also introduced two amendments to limit Obamacare funding until the unlawful immigrants have all left registered provisional immigrant status (1580 and 1482).

He introduced two amendments (1581 and 1295) to guarantee that states have the power to require proof of citizenship before letting an individual vote.

Lastly, Senator Cruz introduced two amendments (1320 and 1579) to create border security benchmarks that must be met before unlawful immigrants can begin to legalize. Included are punishments for government employees who do not meet their requirements and mandates for how border security resources are allocated.

Senator Cruz’s amendments support increasing skilled immigration, restricting welfare access to legalized immigrants who used to be unlawful, allowing for the legalization of unlawful immigrants but blocking their path to citizenship, guaranteeing that states can still check for proof of citizenship before allowing people to vote, and creating border security benchmarks that trigger the legalization program once they are met. His record on immigration is mixed, but he is far from a restrictionist.
    Here is a chart of the amendments Senator Cruz introduced, a brief summary of them, and link to the text.

Click on link for chart. http://www.cato.org/blog/ted-cruzs-m...gration-reform

MW, you can have a second choice if you want. I could care less. I do not want a second choice, I'm Trump, Trump and Nothing But the Trump, so I'm will not support anyone else in the Republican race which means I will point out anything I feel is a negative on other candidates, especially on immigration and trade issues, issues that have mattered to me for decades.

And the above article was written November 13, 2015 by the Cato Institute, just a month ago, so it was written before the Debate this week.

I mean come on! Double the green cards, 5 times more H1B visas, legalization without citizenship for illegal aliens ..... actions speak louder than words and lies caught on video tape in my world. And he's still at it, he's going to lie to the American Public in interviews and in political ads from now until he's booted from the race. If you want to dirty up an already difficult primary process and continue to infest our government with Wolves in Sheep's Clothing and support Foxes to Watch Our Hen House, then of course:

You're entitled to your opinion.
    Last edited by Judy; 12-19-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Ted Cruz: 'I Am a Proponent of Immigration Reform'

By Joel Himelfarb | Wednesday, 29 Apr 2015 09:39 PM

Texas senator and aspiring GOP presidential nominee Ted Cruz is widely depicted by liberal amnesty backers as a diehard enemy of their brand of immigration reform.

While Cruz voted against the 2013 "Gang of Eight" immigration bill and has strongly opposed President Barack Obama's executive amnesty plans, he has also taken positions that sound strikingly different from those of staunch amnesty opponents such as Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions.

Sessions, for example, has been sharply critical of expanding the number of H-1B visas, pointing to abuses in the program and arguing that it harms American workers.

But speaking with Javier Palomarez, president of the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, on Wednesday afternoon, Cruz declared that "there is no stronger advocate for legal immigration in the U.S. Senate than himself," The Weekly Standard reported.

The Texas Republican pointed to his support for an amendment to the Gang of Eight bill two years ago that would expand the number of H-1B visas.

"When that amendment came to a vote, every single Democratic member on the Senate Judiciary Committee voted against it," said Cruz, who ended up opposing the final bill. "I think the way to get something done is not to play the divisive politics."

While describing himself as a "proponent of immigration reform," Cruz said political leaders need to focus on those aspects which have bipartisan support.

Cruz spent much of the immigration discussion blasting the way Obama has approached the issue. The president, he said, has been exploiting the issue of immigration reform for political purposes.

"What he's doing is focusing deliberately on the most partisan, the most divisive issue on this debate," Cruz said.

MSNBC reported last month that Cruz's office had indicated that "he remains open to a path to legal status for undocumented workers, putting him at odds with conservatives who deride such a position as unacceptable 'amnesty.'"

The left-leaning network asked Mark Krikorian of the Center for Immigration Studies about the Texas Republican's position.

Krikorian indicated that Cruz was trying to have it both ways, suggesting that his position was: "I'm against amnesty, but amnesty doesn't include giving these people work permits."

"Really? Then Obama didn't give amnesty to all those people," Krikorian said sardonically.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Ted.../29/id/641637/

As a group we've always considered anyone who supported any type of legalization of illegal aliens an Amnesty Supporter, because that's what they are. Citizenship has nothing to do with Amnesty. Amnesty is by definition the government giving those who have broken US immigration laws permission to remain in the country, and Ted Cruz supported Amnesty for illegal aliens until Wednesday, the day after Tuesday night's debate when cornered on the topic by Marco Rubio.

I don't see how this revelation and his response to it can ever be repaired by Ted Cruz. Just my opinion. We'll see what happens.