Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

tms

DA admits mistake

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/l ... 95,00.html

DA in Weld admits mistake
    Crackdown upsets Hispanic community

By Deborah Frazier, Rocky Mountain News
    November 11, 2005

GREELEY - Weld County District Attorney Ken Buck apologized Thursday for seeking a federal immigration office to crack down on undocumented criminals without talking to the Hispanic community.

"I have made some serious mistakes," said Buck, who won support for an Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in Greeley from Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, Sen. Wayne Allard, both R-Colo., and the county commissioners.

More than 500 people, mostly Hispanics, gathered at Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church to discuss Buck's drive for an ICE office to go after illegal immigrants involved with drugs, gangs and other crimes.

"Some Anglo people think that all of us Latinos are involved in gangs," said Daisy Granillo, 13. "Most of us Latinos are hardworking and kids who try to do our best in school."

About 35 percent of Weld County is Hispanic, according to census estimates. Sheriff John Cooke said undocumented foreigners comprise 12 percent of the jail population and about 10 percent of the gang membership.

"You accuse Mexicans for all the drugs, gangs and crimes," said Maria Corral, holding her son, Saul, 2. "It is all kinds of people who do that. Why do you accuse only Mexicans?"Buck said ICE agents could help expedite moving undocumented criminals to federal facilities more quickly and save the county money. No decision on a Greeley field office for ICE has been made.

The ICE detention facility in Aurora is already crowded and has only 300 beds. The Weld County jail averages 600 people a day, including about 90 illegal immigrants, said Cooke.

Many of the speakers asked for unity on racial issues that are dividing the community. Children carried hand-painted signs with hearts saying "WWJD" - What Would Jesus Do. A group of teen girls spent the afternoon at the church, saying the rosary to seek peace on the issue.

A Hispanic military veteran said that Mexicans have fought in many of America's wars, including Iraq. Several people said an ICE office in Greeley would result in harassment of Hispanics whose families have lived in the area for generations.

"Those agents are not going to sit in their office waiting for people to call them," said Sylvia Martinez. "The number of illegals involved in gangs here doesn't justify an ICE office."

Buck and several of the commissioners who signed his resolution seeking an ICE office sat and listened.

"I am not a racist," said Buck. "I appreciate the great contributions that Latinos make to this community. We need to work together to make it safer, not divide the community."

The crowd gave Buck a standing ovation for his apology.

"By linking gang activity to Latinos, it stigmatizes all Latinos," said Ron Marks of Congregations Building Community, the faith-based group that organized the gathering.

Buck and Guy Short, Musgrave's chief of staff, said the ICE office could also help prosecute employers who rely on undocumented workers.

Buck said he recently forwarded a case involving an employer to federal officials.

"Employers need to obey the law," said Short.
    "The defense of a nation begins at it's borders" Tancredo

Weld County District Attorney Ken Buck apologized Thursday for seeking a federal immigration office to crack down on undocumented criminals without talking to the Hispanic community.

SO when does an American Citizen have to ask any Community permission to take a job.

So when did it start that you have to Apologize for taking a job?

Everyone I will go ahead an Apologize to all of you 3 times. I figured I would have 3 more jobs before I retire. I hope you except My Apology

More than 500 people, mostly Hispanics, gathered at Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church to discuss Buck's drive for an ICE office to go after illegal immigrants involved with drugs, gangs and other crimes.
    As for the Catholic Church. Maybe they should concentrate on cleaning out all of the Pedophiles

"WWJD" - What Would Jesus Do
    Well I might be mistaking, but I really don't think Jesus would be saying that breaking the Law Is ok or even supporting law breakers is ok.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06