Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Day Laborers Gather at New Herndon Center

I couldn't find a link for this story, so I'm typing it out. It's an AP story, found in the December 15, 2005 edition of The Express, which is a free supplement to The Washington Post. Here we go:

DAY LABORERS GATHER AT NEW HERNDON CENTER

"Minutemen" continue surveillance, turning photos over to IRS

Herndon, VA // Dozens of day laborers began gathering at a new job center site Wednesday as protesters stood nearby with video cameras to keep watch on what they called as incentive for employing illegal immigrants.

A group called the Herndon Minutemen have been photographing employers who pick up laborers and said they were turning over evidence of illegal hires to local agencies and the Internal Revenue Service.

The job site consists of a trailer office and portable heaters and toilets until a new facility is built with public funds approved in August by the Herndon Town Council.

Advocates of the job center said its opening represented a way for the community to deal with the safety issue of day laborers gathering outside a nearby 7-Eleven store.

Joel Mills, a spokesman for Project Hope, which operates the new center, said casual labor is legal.

"We're just providing a location for market activity to take place," Mills told WTTG-TV. (AP)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

That is the story. I apologize for typing it, and I hope it came through. I have a real problem with the story. When I read it, I got the impression that the "safety issue of day laborers gathered outside a nearby 7-Eleven store" was for the benefit of the day laborers not being harmed by customers. I know that sounds stupid, but that's the way I interpreted it, the first time I read it.

The worst part is about Joel Mills, of Project Hope, commenting that "casual labor is legal." What kind of a farce is that? Well, yes, it is legal, when the workers are employed legally. How many of the day laborers are U.S. citizens or legal residents with Green Cards? Maybe 10% or less?

The article is so biased. If you didn't know anything about the issue, you would think it was balanced and fair, but since we know something of the issue, it is very biased. It really irks me to have to read this kind of crap that you know to be untrue.

Thanks for listening.

The Ostrich
    Alexandria, VA

[/b]

Welcome to ALIPAC TheOstrich.

Advocates of the job center said its opening represented a way for the community to deal with the safety issue of day laborers gathering outside a nearby 7-Eleven store.

Joel Mills, a spokesman for Project Hope, which operates the new center, said casual labor is legal.

"We're just providing a location for market activity to take place," Mills told WTTG-TV.
    Yes, very deceiving and biased.

TheOstrich
    Welcome to ALIPAC,

I wounder who provided the property for the labor center ?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)