TUESDAY JUNE 12, 2007
Last modified:
Sunday, June 3, 2007 8:12 AM MDT

Mario Aguilar | green valley news VA nurse practitioner Mary Fahey, left, examines Green Valley veteran Jim Donahue, 80, at the local SAVAHCS Green Valley Community Based Outpatient Clinic.First Person: How would you like aliens at your door?

By Sherry Brown

Special to the Green Valley News

It is 10:22 p.m. on Thursday night. It is beautiful, still, starlit, yet we feel uneasy and guarded. My husband, Lloyd, and I are doing a search of our property. We have once again been alerted to the presence of trespassers.

Our neighbor has called to alert us because his children’s nanny is alone and frightened by the four illegal aliens who are lurking on his property.

I already know something is amiss, having been cued by the incessant barking and agitation exhibited by our three dogs. All too soon the alarm will be sounding 4:50 a.m. and time to start another workday, but we know from experience these interlopers cannot be ignored.

We are neither young nor strong as our adversaries tend to be, but we are determined to protect the property we have loved for 18 years.

You may have read Green Valley News editor James Bennett’s account of our last encounter with illegals who were so brazen as to enter our home while we were away at work.

Lloyd discovered them sitting in our living room as he set down the mail and glanced up in time to see them rise and approach him. He was by design armed and held them for the sheriff.

As a nation we have made it abundantly clear that there is no penalty for violating our sovereignty, so why not take it to the next level and violate our homes?

We moved to Elephant Head in 1989, seeking the solitude, peace, and privacy this area offered.

Nowadays, when I arrive home, I can’t carry in the groceries, or the mail, or stop to pet the burro. I carry my keys in one hand and my firearm in the other. I turn on lights and do a “sweepâ€