Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Debating the 'i' word

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... tionforum/

Debating the 'i' word
    by Annie Baxter, Minnesota Public Radio
    June 21, 2006

The national debate on immigration policy has loomed large in media coverage in recent months. It turns out the way the media reports on those debates can be as contentious as the immigration policy in question.

A forum sponsored by Minnesota Public Radio and the Minnesota News Council Tuesday night looked at the stakes of the media's representation of immigration issues. A couple dozen journalists from major local media outlets convened with immigration activists and opponents. The conversation prompted some audience members to reach new understandings -- and others to exchange barbs.

St. Paul, Minn. — The forum came about in large part in response to immigration activists' frustration with media descriptions of immigrant groups. Most media outlets, including Minnesota Public Radio, have a policy of referring to individuals who are in the country illegally as "illegal immigrants." Many activists prefer the phrase "undocumented immigrants."

This thorny semantic issue dominated the evening.

Anne Attea, a coordinator of Hispanic ministry in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, provided a perspective shared by many immigration activists.

"The term 'illegal' is particularly damaging because it's more about perpetuating and sustaining negative labeling, and even criminalizing a whole group of people who, for the majority of them, are here working hard and contributing to society," said Attea. "From our perspective, no human is illegal. You can be documented and undocumented."

Jim Quinn of the conservative John Birch Society disagreed with those points. His organization advocates for a number of issues, including tighter border security and stricter measures against illegal immigration. Quinn was opposed to weakening that sense of "illegal."

"Laws are necessary for everyone's security and well-being," Quinn said. "If people are allowed, through an elaborate system of rationalizations, to violate the law, then any law can be violated. And the issue isn't immigration, from the John Birch point of view, it's a matter of lawbreaking. It's a matter of upholding the system."

Eventually, a reporter waded into the debate. Jean Hopfensperger of the Star Tribune defended her own journalistic practice, and tried to expand the picture a bit.

"I use {the word} 'illegal' because it's our policy, but also because 'undocumented' is in many senses inaccurate, in the sense that many people have documents. It could be fake documents, they could be their brother's documents. They have documents," said Hopfensperger. "What about the stay-at-home mom? Is she the undocumented housewife? It creates all sorts of linguistic problems."

But Hopfensperger's line of argument didn't hold sway with many of the immigration activists present.

One member of the audience pointed out how damaging it can be for children of immigrants to hear themselves referred to as "illegal." She said that would erode any child's sense of value or potential.

That point about the stigmatizing effects of the term "illegal" proved persuasive for Steve Murphy of WCCO Radio.

"My thought was, it wasn't too many years ago that a child born out of wedlock was called illegitimate. I'm being enlightened tonight. I'm going to take this back to my newsroom," Murphy said.

That was the most explicit promise made by a journalist at the forum to re-examine newsroom policy on immigration language. But audience member Richard Patten took it as evidence that immigration supporters have journalists in their pocket.

"We're seeing right here now why the media -- the major media, public radio, newspapers -- can never handle this issue with any objectivity, because they are under pressures to say nice things," Patten said.

Ruben Rosario, a columnist with the Pioneer Press, differed with that view. He said no solution put forth in the discussion would please everyone.

"Whether we choose 'illegal immigrants' or 'undocumented workers,' somebody's going to be angered by it, somebody's going to be praising it," Rosario said.

No concensus was reached on how the media should deal with these questions, but participants of differing political stripes left the forum saying the discussion had, nevertheless, been fruitful.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The "i" word that I like is "invaders."

Sums it up pretty well!

Ostrich

One member of the audience pointed out how damaging it can be for children of immigrants to hear themselves referred to as "illegal." She said that would erode any child's sense of value or potential.
    I must be from another planet I was under the impression that, as a parent, it was MY responsibility to never do anything that would cause suffering in any way for my boys. Any mistakes that I did make, well.....
    the responsibility fell on my shoulders to work it out with my guys.

Are ILLEGAL PARENTS getting a pass on "responsibility for their children" along with every damned law that they break?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Not our concern, they shouldn't even be here..how about the damage its causing my kid..knowing his job has been taken by adult illegals...I could go on and on...THEY ARE ILLEGAL. The above statement is just a ploy to downplay the importance of our existing laws.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)