Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Defiant Jeff Sessions on ‘Gang of Eight’: ‘Every Step of the Way, Ted Cruz Was on My

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Defiant Jeff Sessions on ‘Gang of Eight’: ‘Every Step of the Way, Ted Cruz Was on My

Defiant Jeff Sessions on ‘Gang of Eight’: ‘Every Step of the Way, Ted Cruz Was on My Side’

by JEFF POOR
    19 Dec 2015
    512 comments

DAPHNE, AL – An emphatic Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) is dismissing the claim that presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) was a backer of the 2013 immigration reform effort by the so-called “Gang of Eight.”

Sessions, a hometown favorite at a Saturday rally here, told attendees Cruz had opposed the effort the entire way and cited the Texas senator’s voting record as evidence.

“One of the things you’ve been hearing about somehow is a criticism of Ted and how he and what he did with regard to this massive that they tried to ram through in 2013,” Sessions said. “Let me tell you, I was there. Every step of the way, Ted Cruz was on my side and fought this legislation all the way through.”

“I’m just flabbergasted,” he continued.

"Don’t they know how he voted? So let just tell you a few things just to recall – people need to remember this because this election is going to decide if the crowd that pushed that bill — are they in the White House and will they be able to continue their agenda? Or will somebody else be there who will say no?"

Sessions went on to recall the 2007 immigration reform legislation effort by the Senate, noting there was a preliminary vote that received 60 votes that was reduced to 46 votes on the final vote after what he described as “millions of Americans” lit up the Capitol Hill switchboard in protest of the legislation.

“The people spoke and the Congress finally – although it was dicey for a while – responded,” he added.

Sessions likened the 2007 push to the 2013 “Gang of Eight” bill and pointed out the exhaustive resources the “Gang of Eight” had at its disposal.

“Here in 2013, the same group again – they spent a billion-and-a-half dollars to promote this legislation,” Sessions said.

"They hired political consultants. They pollsters hired and polling to try to spin the numbers anyway possible to advance this agenda. They had special interest groups. They met for months – the ‘Gang of Eight.’ And they were determined – they were going to move this bill to passage. And it was a near-run thing. It was a worse bill everybody would acknowledge that is fair about it than the 2007 bill."

According to Alabama’s junior senator, the bill would have granted amnesty first before implementing other aspects, some of which (including a border fence) were already law. In addition to that, he questioned the committee process of the 2013 bill, which did not allow for the passage of any amendments since what Sessions described to be a “delicate balance” had been negotiated through a backroom deal.

The 2013 “Gang of Eight” bill never gained traction in the House of Representatives after passage in the Senate, to which Sessions credited Cruz’s opposition.

“I think I can say this with integrity and good judgment: I believe without the vigorous opposition of Ted Cruz, this bill likely would have passed,” Sessions said. “So we need to thank him.”

“Ted Cruz was with me,” he added. “Rep. Steve King (R-IA) and Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) and others who opposed this bill and don’t let anybody tell you any differently. And it was critical to the success we had.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...as-on-my-side/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sessions welcomes Cruz to Alabama with immigration cover fire

By David Weigel and Paul Kane December 19 at 6:32 PM

DAPHNE, Ala. -- In the past few days, as Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and allies have accused Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) of dissembling about his 2013 immigration votes, one Senate colleague has repeatedly taken the Texan's side: Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), an implacable foe of "amnesty," has told radio hosts and Washington reporters that Cruz stood with him, saying soothing words about the reform push only as a way to kill it.

"All of us who opposed the bill supported the Cruz amendments," Sessions told The Washington Post before flying home Friday. "I'm a little bit baffled by this. Part of what you do when debating a bill is offer amendments to highlight what's in it."

Sessions had no public appearances scheduled for the weekend, but on Saturday afternoon, Cruz brought his presidential campaign to this city down the highway from Mobile. Sessions headed over, meeting with Cruz backstage, then introducing him with a passionate and wonky rundown of the immigration amendment fight.

"Some have a criticism of Ted and what he did in regards to this massive immigration bill," said Sessions. "Let me tell you, I was there. Every step of the way, Ted Cruz was on my side, and fought this legislation."

More than a thousand Republican voters sat (and stood) transfixed as Sessions described how Cruz had outwitted Democrats by making them vote on an amendment that would have ended any path to citizenship, an amendment Cruz had described as a way to save the bill. It was clear, said Sessions, that Cruz was trying to kill reform and Rubio was trying to pass it.

"This election is going to decide: Is the crowd that pushed that bill, are they going to be in the White House? Or will somebody be in there who'll say no?" said Sessions.

Cruz and his family took the stage shortly thereafter, the two senators leaning in briefly to shake hands. And Cruz showered Sessions with praise, suggesting at one point that he might pull the Alabaman out of the Senate and into the Department of Homeland Security.

"Can we really secure the border?" asked Cruz. "I've got three words for you: Secretary Jeff Sessions."

After the rally, Sessions told The Washington Post that he was not officially endorsing Cruz, and would decide later whether to endorse anyone. Sessions had previously appeared at a Mobile rally for Donald Trump, another of the relatively few Republicans who've stumped here in advance of the March 1, 2016 primary. He doffed a cream-colored "Make America Great Again" hat, and listened as Trump praised his immigration views. Sessions said Saturday he was uninterested in picking a candidate yet, he just didn't want his message to be mangled or missed.

"I just thought I had something to offer today," he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...on-cover-fire/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    "Some have a criticism of Ted and what he did in regards to this massive immigration bill," said Sessions. "Let me tell you, I was there. Every step of the way, Ted Cruz was on my side, and fought this legislation."
    There you have it. Sen. Sessions wouldn't say it was true if it wasn't. There is no man I respect more in the U.S. Congress than Sen. Jeff Sessions!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    There you have it. Sen. Sessions wouldn't say it was true if it wasn't. There is no man I respect more in the U.S. Congress than Sen. Jeff Sessions!
    Cruz fought one provision, the pathway to citizenship provision by filing an amendment to remove it while retaining legalization. And he lost, his amendment failed and the bill passed with a Super Majority in the US Senate.

The facts are the facts and Jeff Sessions needs to step back and walk away from this, because to give Senator Ted Cruz credit for something he didn't do, that House Republicans actually did because American voters largely Republicans demanded it, makes no sense and it will not fly, whether Sessions claims it, Steve King claims it or anyone else claims it. They are involving themselves to try to knock Rubio out of the race and while we would like to see Rubio out of the race, calling him a liar when he's telling the truth and claim Cruz is telling the truth when he's lying, is not how to do it.

What Sessions is actually revealing is that the issue for some Senate Republicans like Cruz was citizenship and the political ramifications, not the harm it would cause to Americans, American Workers and American taxpayers.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Cruz fought one provision, the pathway to citizenship provision by filing an amendment to remove it while retaining legalization. And he lost, his amendment failed and the bill passed with a Super Majority in the US Senate.

The facts are the facts and Jeff Sessions needs to step back and walk away from this, because to give Senator Ted Cruz credit for something he didn't do, that House Republicans actually did because American voters largely Republicans demanded it, makes no sense and it will not fly, whether Sessions claims it, Steve King claims it or anyone else claims it. They are involving themselves to try to knock Rubio out of the race and while we would like to see Rubio out of the race, calling him a liar when he's telling the truth and claim Cruz is telling the truth when he's lying, is not how to do it.

What Sessions is actually revealing is that the issue for some Senate Republicans like Cruz was citizenship and the political ramifications, not the harm it would cause to Americans, American Workers and American taxpayers.
    He's giving Cruz credit for something he attempted to do and that was kill the gang of eight amnesty bill! Yes, his attempt wasn't a success but at least he tried. If Sen. Sessions says Cruz had his back, then I'm going to believe him.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He's giving Cruz credit for something he attempted to do and that was kill the gang of eight amnesty bill! Yes, his attempt wasn't a success but at least he tried. If Sen. Sessions says Cruz had his back, then I'm going to believe him.
    Right, it was not a success. He also tried to pass other amendments that would double the number of green cards and increase by 5 times the number of H1B visas. He also stated under oath that he supported the bill that would legalize illegal aliens already in the country but without citizenship rights. They would still be able to remain the country, steal jobs from Americans, rob American kids of their seats in college, get drivers licenses and instate tuition, roam the country running drugs, killing and raping people, shipping our money out of the country, signing up for welfare, and all the things they do and cause that we're against.

I mean if you support this candidate, that's fine. If you think he's evolved or experienced some epiphany in his race of career aspiration to be President, that's fine. You can support any candidate you want.

But when you testify under oath that you support the Gang of Eight bill with your amendments and as such would not only legalize illegal aliens but dramatically increase legal immigration through your own amendments, then you supported amnesty and are pro-immigration.

If you no longer support amnesty and are no longer pro-immigration because you're running for President and these positions are being soundly rejected by Republicans, then just tell the truth and say I no longer support amnesty and am no longer pro-immigration because I want to be President.

Instead he lied to the American People during a debate and accused Marco of lying, when Marco was actually telling the truth and the Cruz Senate Hearing videos when he was speaking to the Senate under oath, prove that beyond any reasonable doubt. People have been sent to Death Row on far less.

If Americans don't hold politicians accountable for their words and actions, then who will? Why do we want to support someone who stated under oath he supported the Gang of Eight bill, wanted it to pass, wanted illegal aliens to be able to remain in the US but not have citizenship rights, wanted dramatic increases in legal immigration levels, everything we're supposed to be against?

I mean we throw people out of Congress for these positions and now some want to elevate one to President or Vice President?

I don't understand that, but everyone is of course free to support whomever they want for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Judy; 12-20-2015 at 03:28 PM.

http://www.alipac.us/f12/ted-cruz-le...se-h1b-326332/

http://www.alipac.us/f12/ted-cruz-in...-watch-326331/

These are two of the Cruz Senate Hearing Videos referenced in posts above. These are of Cruz sworn testimony at Senate Hearings on some of his Amendments to the Gang of Eight Bill in 2013.
    Last edited by Judy; 12-20-2015 at 03:58 PM.

MW
    You need to go back and listen to what Sen. Sessions said on behalf of Sen. Cruz where the gang of eight amnesty bill is concerned. If you refuse to listen to him or worse yet, call him a liar, there is nothing anyone can say or do that you'll hear.

You need to go back and listen to what Sen. Sessions said on behalf of Sen. Cruz where the gang of eight amnesty bill is concerned. If you refuse to listen to him or worse yet, call him a liar, there is nothing anyone can say or do that you'll hear.
    I heard Ted Cruz in his own words under oath giving sworn testimony at US Senate Hearing Committees and then not under oath at the debate on December 15. Jeff Sessions may not have been at the hearings. Maybe he's not seen the videos. Maybe he didn't watch the debate Tuesday night. Whatever the issue is, I'm not going to rely on anything Jeff Sessions says about Ted Cruz because I've already heard it directly out of Ted's own mouth, and don't need Jeff to speak for him.

I'm an adult, I don't need someone else to tell me what someone else thinks, believes, did, intended or meant to do. I'm perfectly satisfied with my ability to process the words of Ted Cruz in 2013 and then on December 15, 2015 and draw my own conclusion.

Like I said earlier on one of these threads, in my opinion, Jeff needs to step back and walk away.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I heard Ted Cruz in his own words under oath giving sworn testimony at US Senate Hearing Committees and then not under oath at the debate on December 15. Jeff Sessions may not have been at the hearings. Maybe he's not seen the videos. Maybe he didn't watch the debate Tuesday night. Whatever the issue is, I'm not going to rely on anything Jeff Sessions says about Ted Cruz because I've already heard it directly out of Ted's own mouth, and don't need Jeff to speak for him.

I'm an adult, I don't need someone else to tell me what someone else thinks, believes, did, intended or meant to do. I'm perfectly satisfied with my ability to process the words of Ted Cruz in 2013 and then on December 15, 2015 and draw my own conclusion.

Like I said earlier on one of these threads, in my opinion, Jeff needs to step back and walk away.
    Considering the fact that Sessions and Cruz work together, I'm going to assume Sessions knows more than you or I about what Cruz thinks and feels on the issue of illegal immigration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast