Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Democrats Release Hispanic Agenda

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/ne ... e-news.asp

Democrats Release Hispanic Agenda

September 21, 2006

By Michael Todd

As part of the seventh annual Democratic Hispanic Leadership Summit, congressional Democrats released a six-point agenda today "to ensure that Latinos are not only included but are at the table on every issue critical to our nation."

Compromiso Democrata con el Pueblo Latino: A New Direction for Latino Families, covers the issues of economic empowerment, education, health care, retirement, immigration and national security. A release from Sen. Harry Reid's (D-Nevada) office says the agenda "highlights Democrats' continued commitment to the critical issues facing Latino families," but on the whole it does not suggest new programs or specific policies for achieving progress in these areas.

In promoting economic empowerment, for example, the agenda acknowledges the growth of the Hispanic business sector at triple that of the nation as a whole, but at the same time it notes that Hispanics are the only major ethnic group in the U.S. whose wages have declined since President Bush took office.

"Democrats recognize the entrepreneurial energy of the Latino community and support minority small-business initiatives that foster economic success," the document offers. "Democrats will also continue to fight for an increase in the minimum wage, which disproportionately affects the economic well-being of many Latinos. Democrats are committed to Latino economic empowerment through our support of linguistically – and culturally – appropriate programs that provide educational, financial and technical training for Latinos. Democrats support equitable employment policies that give Latinos an equal opportunity to compete for good jobs in the public and private sectors."

At the same time, each of the points in the agenda criticizes Republican actions, such as tax cuts that Democrats say favor the wealthy, or inactions, such as blocking increases in the federal minimum wage, in every one of its target areas.

Republicans contacted did not provide an immediate response to the agenda, which was being released as they were contacted.

The agenda offers its strongest prescriptions in the area of education, supporting programs and legislation from kindergarten to college, with an emphasis on helping English-language learners. "Democrats want the DREAM Act to become a reality, make college tuition deductible from taxes permanently, cut student loan interest rates and expand Pell Grants," the authors write. The DREAM Act would allow some undocumented high school students who wish to attend college or serve in the military a chance to do so by amending their immigration status.

The agenda also says Democrats would invest in dropout prevention, college preparation and outreach programs while strengthening so-called Hispanic-serving institutions and community-based organizations.

On immigration, the Democrats accuse the Republicans of failing to deliver a legitimate reform package while shutting down efforts to advance a Senate bill with some bipartisan support and the most Democrats behind it. The agenda calls for a path to legalization for undocumented immigrants already in the country and a temporary worker program.

On hand to release the agenda were Sen. Reid, the Senate minority leader; House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.); New York senator and presumptive presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton; California's Rep. Grace Napolitano, chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus; and New Jersey's Sen. Robert Menendez, who is in a tough re-election fight to retain the seat he was appointed to earlier this year.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hey...I want inclusion at every table...where's the Mutt Agenda!!

MUTTS UNITE!!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm curious as to exactly how many politicians actually speak and/or understand spanish?

Democrats will also continue to fight for an increase in the minimum wage, which disproportionately affects the economic well-being of many Latinos...
    Increasing the minumum wage will give everyone a raise, not just Latinos, so how does that resolve their issue?

I don't even want to go into what I think about the rest. Heh.

[/b]
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

These traitorous leaders must have been promised something very big if the NAU takes affect. What do each of them get their own provence once they've carved up America?
    And where is the statement which should include ALL AMERICANS?
    That's the only explination I have for our leaders who continue to sell out America.

I don't know how they sleep at night, but I guess you need to have a conscience first.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Ladydrake said:
    I'm curious as to exactly how many politicians actually speak and/or understand spanish?
    I've often wondered about that too. How long will it take for their jobs to be bilingual???
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senator Dick Durbin is on CSPAN 2 this very moment pushing THE DREAM ACT.

"Why would we turn our backs on these young people."
    He says these are tomorrow's soldiers and marines and doctors. Wants colleagues to join him in supporting this bill. Oh dear, the violins are playing.
    [/quote]
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach
    Senator Dick Durbin is on CSPAN 2 this very moment pushing THE DREAM ACT.

He says these are tomorrow's soldiers and marines and doctors. Wants colleagues to join him in supporting this bill. Oh dear, the violins are playing.
    [/quote]

I heard some of his talk too. He really turned the sympathy on so much I had to turn the volume down. Didn't want to get sick. I'm not a cruel person but after seeing how some illegals feel about us, like in Maywood, I'm not falling for the bleeding heart speeches.

Here's an answer: Because they aren't Americans!

Here's a question for him: Why would we turn our backs on our own young Americans?
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

In promoting economic empowerment, for example, the agenda acknowledges the growth of the Hispanic business sector at triple that of the nation as a whole, but at the same time it notes that Hispanics are the only major ethnic group in the U.S. whose wages have declined since President Bush took office.
    ONLY ethnic group who's wages have declined? Well since their ONLY concern is about their ethnic group I guess they haven't bothered to look around to see it's bothered EVERY ETHNIC GROUP! God I'm so sick of these people!!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=72955

Pelosi: With Hispanic Agenda, Democrats Recommit to a New Direction for Latino Families

9/21/2006 5:02:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: National Desk

Contact: Brendan Daly or Jennifer Crider, 202-226-7616, both of the Office of Nancy Pelosi

WASHINGTON, Sept. 21 /U.S. Newswire/ -- House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi joined Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid, Congresswoman Grace Napolitano, Chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Senator Hillary Clinton, Senator Bob Menendez, and other Members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus at the seventh annual Democratic Hispanic Summit today. Below are Pelosi's remarks:

"Thank you, Leader Reid. Thank you for your hospitality here this afternoon. Here we are again, another day of dialogue with the Hispanic community from across the country.

"In the House of Representatives, we have so many Members of the Hispanic Caucus led by the Chair, Congresswoman Grace Napolitano of California. Congresswoman Napolitano is one of our caucus's most effective advocates for a New Direction for all Americans.

"I am proud to join Senator Reid as we observe Hispanic Heritage Month and the accomplishments and contributions of the Hispanic community to our country. I'm proud to join you in presenting the 'Compromiso Democrata con el Pueblo Latino: A New Direction for Latino Families,' our commitment to the Hispanic community for a better future.

"But first I want to thank the community. You have been a constant reinvigoration of America for centuries. My state of California can attest to that as well as those who show up on our shores or in our country on a daily basis. It's a constant reinvigoration with optimism, with hope, with courage, with determination, to make a better life for their families. Everybody who comes here with that spirit makes America more American.

"So in that spirit, I acknowledge the leadership of the Hispanic community and I thank you for your considerable contribution to the national security of our country. We all know that in many homes across the country, a great source of pride is the photo of the young man or woman in uniform who is serving our country, making America stronger. Thank you to the Hispanic community for your patriotism and strength.

"'Compromiso Democrata con el Pueblo Latino: A New Direction for Latino Families,' talks about promoting economic empowerment for Latino families. Part of the proposal is to raise the minimum wage, which affects millions of Hispanics in our country. It talks about all that can be done for small businesses. So many Latinos are involved with small businesses. And nobody understands the issue better or has done more to advocate for small businesses in the country, than our own Congresswoman Nydia Velazquez of New York, who will soon be the Chair of the Small Business Committee.

"Senator Reid talked about quality education, and God willing if we have the opportunity in January, we will pass the DREAM Act. It's the American dream; that's what people flock for our shore for so many years. Why should it stop now? And then access to affordable health care, dignified retirement for our seniors. We have a golden pledge to preserve Social Security.

"With immigration reform, we have the answer: comprehensive bipartisan immigration reform that recognizes the contribution that newcomers make to our country, secures our border, secures our workplace, but provides a path to legalization to the many people who are already here. And we want to do so by building bridges, not by building walls.

"I am proud of the Compromiso Democrata con el Pueblo Latino. This is our commitment to you. We will do this to make our country stronger, and make the Latino community's fulfillment in our country one that is the face of America into the future."

To view the Democratic Hispanic Agenda in its entirety - in English - please visit the following site: http://democrats.senate.gov/pdfs/compro ... _92106.pdf

http://www.usnewswire.com/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast