Deportation, not drivers licenses

The Berkshire Eagle (Pittsfield, Massachusetts)
December 3, 2009
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

After reading the immigration reform story on the front page of the Nov. 26 edition, I felt my blood start boil.

I have always considered myself to be one of the silent majority of Americans in this country who are too busy working and raising a family to get involved in politics.

Now it's time for the silent majority to speak up.

The article mentioned a state report recommending 131 immigration reforms including allowing illegal immigrants to apply for drivers licenses.

My first thought was why is the state spending its time and money on immigration reform when Congress is charged with Immigration?

Second, what part of illegal don t they understand?

I thought illegal meant against the law, as in it's illegal to speed or fail to stop at a stop sign.

I think it's still illegal to murder someone.

I can't conceive how anybody in their right mind would even consider issuing an illegal immigrant a drivers license. If they are illegal they should be deported.

The people who made the 131 recommendations should have visited other countries to research what they give illegals. I ll bet they don t offer what we do.

I support legal immigration, that s how this country grew from it's beginning.

When will our elected officials in Washington start doing their job to close the borders and start tracking down and deporting the illegal immigrants?

It s been well-documented that illegal immigrants are costing the rest of us money for health care, education and welfare, not to mention taking work away from Americans and taxes they probably aren t paying since they often work for cash.

J. ELOVIRTA
Becket

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/En ... 79&start=3