Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Deporting all fugitives impossible

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/165552.html

Immigration reality check: Deporting all fugitives impossible
    BY ALFONSO CHARDY
    achardy@MiamiHerald.com

PETER ANDREW BOSCH/MIAMI HERALD STAFF
    Veronica Ruiz of West Miami-Dad, with her daughter and son, is among more than 630,000 deportation-order fugitives believed to be living in the United States.Immigration officers pounded on the door of VerĂ³nica Ruiz's apartment in West Miami-Dade near dawn, their arrival marking the culmination of painstaking work to find a fugitive fleeing a final deportation order.

Ruiz, from Colombia, hid with her husband and two children that February morning and never opened the door. The officers left and Ruiz went into hiding again -- among the nation's more than half a million immigration absconders.

Her case illustrates the difficulty in expelling fugitives from deportation orders in a perennially underfunded and understaffed system. The mathematics of enforcement doesn't compute. Resources are simply insufficient. Rounding up all the fugitives would take decades.

The Senate immigration bill that collapsed in June would have helped millions of undocumented immigrants become legal and also promised $4.4 billion more to amp up enforcement. Now immigrant rights advocates predict an escalation in immigration raids by Homeland Security and local police. Deportation-order fugitives like Ruiz, many of their names already in the national database, are prime targets.

But even if the immigration agency were able to double the number of expelled fugitives -- as it maintains it will -- from the 17,817 deported in fiscal year 2006, it would take 20 years to return the 632,189 fugitives already identified. That doesn't take into account the thousands of others immigration judges would order deported during that time -- since September 2003, the fugitive list grew by an average of 68,184 a year.

In making his case for the immigration bill, President Bush called it an impossible task to deport the nation's estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants. But U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement hasn't given up on deporting the 632,189 who have been ordered to leave.

Like Ruiz, most of those deportation-order fugitives appear to be otherwise law-abiding. They have no criminal record but entered the country illegally or overstayed their visa. In 2003, ICE estimated one in five fugitives -- then counted at 400,000 -- had criminal records.

Recently retired immigration officers say drastic changes in enforcement would be needed to find and deport all absconders.

''It's impossible,'' said Frank Parodi, a senior ICE official who retired in October after 34 years in Miami and Washington. ``They would have to enlist the aid of every police officer in the country to do it.''

Bill West, a former ICE supervisor, said the government would have to more than triple the number of immigration agents who investigate cases from the nearly 6,000 today to more than 20,000, add thousands more detention beds and streamline convoluted deportation proceedings.

Another problem is the increasing difficulty in expelling some detained foreign nationals who have criminal records, according to Ames Holbrook, a former deportation officer in New Orleans.

BACK ON STREETS

In his book The Deporter, to be released in October by a division of the Penguin Group, Holbrook contends that some consulates in Miami and other major U.S. cities delay travel documents for detained foreign criminals, and they end up back back on U.S. streets.

Immigration officials are forced to release criminals who cannot be deported -- to avoid violating a 2001 Supreme Court ruling prohibiting indefinite detention of undeportable foreign nationals.

''Rapists, murderers, extortionists, kidnappers, armed robbers, arsonists, carjackers, identity thieves, bombers, child molesters: I have unleashed them all,'' Holbrook writes.

A recent internal Homeland Security assessment lists Haiti, China, Pakistan and India as ''difficult'' countries that resist accepting deportees with criminal records. The report listed Cuba, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam as largely unwilling to issue travel documents.

Holbook admitted lying to consular officials or threatening them with diplomatic sanctions to pressure them to issue travel documents.

Barbara Gonzalez, a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman in Miami, did not dispute the challenges but added her agency has made considerable progress in targeting fugitives, especially after the Fugitive Operations Support Center in Burlington, Vt., opened in June 2006.

''It is a crucial part of our effort to reduce the fugitive alien population,'' she said.

The center ''has resolved over 35,000 fugitive cases, generated and disseminated 150,000 leads to ICE fugitive operations teams and analyzed data associated with over 60 national ICE-[deportation and removal] enforcement initiatives resulting in thousands of arrests,'' she said.

Gonzalez also noted that 53 agency teams have been assigned since February to track down deportation-order fugitives, and Congress has added funding for 23 more teams for fiscal 2007.

BACKLOG

Yet even Homeland Security's inspector general notes that the teams can't keep up. Shortcomings in computer databases, personnel shortages and lack of detention space make reducing the fugitive backlog an elusive goal.

''Despite the efforts of the teams, the backlog of fugitive alien cases has increased each fiscal year,'' said a March report by the inspector general's office.

Agency officials recently announced the first-ever decline in the number of fugitives, a drop of about 500 people in the last two months. Not mentioned, though, was that the number of fugitives is now 232,000 higher than in 2003, when a strategy to find them was announced in a report titled Endgame. At the time, officials estimated a 400,000 backlog could be eliminated by 2012.

Even if all fugitives were detained within a year, authorities would not have anywhere to put them. There are an estimated 27,500 beds in detention jails nationwide.

Nor are all 632,189 detention orders necessarily final. Sometimes there are good reasons to reopen a case, and courts will grant legal status.

That's what Ruiz hopes will happen. Jorge Rivera, Ruiz's Miami attorney, said Friday he has filed a motion to reopen her case.

''I feel more protected now,'' Ruiz said.

Ruiz, 32, arrived in Miami in 2000, fleeing leftist guerrillas who had kidnapped her father in Colombia. Ruiz asked for asylum, but an immigration judge ordered her deported and two appellate panels agreed.

For now, she remains in hiding -- among the 632,189 and counting who are hoping the math will work in their favor.

My opinion and solution:
    This is utter nonsense. They are going about it the wrong way. ICE should show up on the jobsites where illegals work and they can get many birds with one stone. I personally could easily get 100 to 200 illegals a day. Any day labor sight will net a minimum of 15, large condo construction sites will net 50 or more and there are other locations as well. These people need to work so that is the best place to look.
    Step 2 if you can't get rid of the anchor baby then get rid of the benefits such as foodstamps and welfare and limit it to mothers who are in the country legally. You can't use the father or else they will pay an American Hispanic to put his name as the father of the child.

If this happens then many will leave voluntarily.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think if the gov't would just go after employers then the problem would sort of fix itself, also ending welfare-type benefits would be a huge help,they would then self deport.I am tired of hearing the lame excuse "we can't round them all up and deport them"-we never "rounded them up" and IMPORTED them.They came on their own two feet they can leave that way too.Sorry to sound so harsh,I'm just so tired of being beat over the head with these excuses about the lack of enforcement and how we (the American citizen)should just resign ourselves to the invasion and accept it.

Come on every day they are in accidents, stopped for speeding, questioned about crimes, Signing up for social services, schools, signing into hospitals. How hard would it be to pick them up? A few hear and a few there, Sooner or later they would get the point. That they need to go back home. You would think with the millions here they would form a organization and go back to Mexico and clean it up and make it safe for their families left behind. Take care of their own! This is what gets me, They come here and try to turn it into a country they can't wait to get out of!

I really do tire of hearing this lame excuse. We can do it, and we've done it before. President Eisenhower successfully had up to 3 million deported back in the 50's w/ fewer agents, not to mention our transportation system at the time was no where near as advanced as we have today.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

I have a good idea how about this Bush (sorry can not stomach calling him President) announce anyone here illegally after the next 7days will be considered felons and will be treated as such!! Including anyone hiring an illegal!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

This is a horrific message to send to our enemies. Are we telling them that if they can sneak a few million people across our borders (which they can) that we will surrender? Would we not have the means to throw them out of our country if they threatened our sovereignty? I have heard our president say dozens of times that the highest duty of a president is to protect the American people; well this does not make me feel safe.

MW
    Bill West, a former ICE supervisor, said the government would have to more than triple the number of immigration agents who investigate cases from the nearly 6,000 today to more than 20,000, add thousands more detention beds and streamline convoluted deportation proceedings.
    If that's what needs done, let's quit making excuses and get 'er done!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I wrote a similar comment as I did here after the article in the comments and the Miami Herald removed it. There was no name calling or rude comments posted. I am cancelling my subscription and telling them I refuse to support a pro illegal newspaper.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's amazing how on the front page this family posts their picture and says that they hid in their house while ICE came and knocked on their door. Such idiots! If I were wanted I'd hide from everyone and everything. Not brag about it like these idiots. Miami Herald is all about hispanics. Heck look how many work there. They always type sob stories about illegals but when it comes to hard working americans that lost everything you never hear a word.
    "I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio" - Rodney Dangerfield

I agree with WolfBaby. Go after the employers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast