Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Derbez Slams U.S. Bill on Immigration

http://www.mexiconews.com.mx/miami/16270.html

Derbez slams U.S. bill on immigration

El Universal
    December 13, 2005

A bill that would toughen U.S. immigration enforcement is "wrong" and U.S. groups should lobby against it, Foreign Relations Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez said on Monday.

The bill, sponsored by Republican Representative James Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin, passed the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday. It would make undocumented migration, now a civil offense, a federal crime.

"We are trying with great force to avoid" passage of the bill, Derbez told a local radio station, according to a transcript of the interview supplied by his office.

"It appears wrong to us, because it is a bill that tries to deal with migration issues judicially, with control measures," Derbez said.

Mexico has long opposed treating undocumented migrants as criminals, and espouses a broad approach to migration that would provide legal means for migrants to work in the United States.

"This type of law that builds walls, puts more people on border patrols, or hardens the sanctions against those who hire an undocumented person, doesn´t lead to adequate solutions," Derbez said.

He said that during meetings last week with business groups in Chicago he suggested that business, community or church groups oppose the measure.

"Speaking with them (businessmen), speaking with the Catholic Church on the issue´s social aspect, of the impact on their communities, we´re trying to get them to make themselves heard and lobby in the Senate and in the U.S. Congress," Derbez said.

The bill may go to a vote in the full House next week before Congress adjourns for the year.

The 169-page bill goes beyond increasing border patrol agents and equipment to enlist military support in border surveillance and reimburse local law enforcement in border areas for assistance in combatting alien smuggling and illegal entry.

It requires the U.S. Homeland Security Department to detain until removal all who try to enter the country illegally and sets new mandatory minimum sentences on smugglers and people convicted of re-entry after removal.

Three drunken-driving convictions would become a deportable offense for legal immigrants.

All employers in the country would be required to participate in a verification system under which the government would confirm that a worker or a job applicant has legal status.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hail Sensenbrenner...I LIKE THE BILL and it's only the first one that I ever have liked...if only the teeth in it would be enforced.

Damn Derbez! His efforts to hold the US in paralysis for the foreseeable future benefit only mexicans and other illegals who want to swamp this country.

Not to infuriate the catholics in our midst but I do happen to remember what I read about the cathholic church helping the war criminals from WWll to escape paying for their crimes. The church was their underground railroad to Brazil, Canada, etc. And now the 'church' wants to undermine the laws of our nation in order to aid and abet felonius individuals in our country today.

This is not a religious issue any more than it's a racial issue...it's a legal, and constitutional issue.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner
    Hail Sensenbrenner...I LIKE THE BILL and it's only the first one that I ever have liked...if only the teeth in it would be enforced.
    Not to infuriate the catholics in our midst but I do happen to remember what I read about the cathholic church helping the war criminals from WWll to escape paying for their crimes. The church was their underground railroad to Brazil, Canada, etc. And now the 'church' wants to undermine the laws of our nation in order to aid and abet felonius individuals in our country today.
    This is not a religious issue any more than it's a racial issue...it's a legal, and constitutional issue.
    RR
    The Catholic church makes it a big deal because they need the money. Americans were outraged when the sex scandals started coming out. Hispanics were bought up in a culture that thought ANYTHING like rape, incest, and homosexuality were all normal and if they prayed, it would be okay. The Catholic church is following the money' just like any other big business would. I was bought up Catholic, but my sisters and I switched, after witnessing the priest 'wacking off' directly before my father's funeral mass. I cant even begin to explain how this made me feel. But I have moved on to another church and will have nothing to do with the Catholic church again!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If the Mexican government is against it, it must be right.

Absolutely, gearhead...

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones