Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dick Durbin a traitorous idiot

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... dt.01.html

DOBBS: As we've reported, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff today said his goal is to expel every single illegal alien caught in this country. My next guest feels quite differently from Secretary Chertoff and countless American citizens on the issue of illegal immigration. Senator Richard Durbin of Illinois and other Democrats have asked Secretary Chertoff to promise not to deport any illegal alien found seeking aid in the wake of the Gulf Coast hurricanes.

Senator Durbin, a member of the Judiciary Committee where Secretary Chertoff testified before today, joining us from Capitol Hill.

Senator, there are estimates that run as high as 20 million illegal aliens in this country, three million crossing just last year. Why would you make such a request of Secretary Chertoff?

SEN. RICHARD DURBIN (D), ILLINOIS: It's the same thing we did after 9/11. After the 9/11 crisis, this same administration announced that, when it came the to people coming forward who were victims are 9/11 are members of their families seeking assistance from this government, this same administrations said, we're not going to deport you.

Now the rules have changed. I asked Secretary Chertoff, why change it? He said, I wasn't aware they were changed.

DOBBS: In your judgment, why would it be important to do that in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, quite a different disaster, quote a different circumstance?

DURBIN: Well, of course, but we had at least five different instances where people went to basic shelters for food and for water and for just some roof over their head for their children, and they were deported for turning up and asking for that.

It seems harsh to me. And why would we do -- take on a policy so inconsistent with what we did just a few years ago?

DOBBS: One is that, since 2001, we have seen illegal immigration skyrocket in the country, three million illegal aliens successfully entering this country last year. We have 150,000 other than Mexican illegal aliens crossing our borders, at least, who have been captured, perhaps three times that many successfully entering the country.

My question, I guess, Senator, is why would there be a focus on this issue rather than the fact -- the incredible burden that those who hire illegal aliens in this country are placing upon the middle class, depressing wages, costing billions of dollars in social and health services across the country?

DURBIN: Lou, were you aware of the fact this same administration, when it came to Hurricane Katrina, said that they were going waive employer sanctions for those who hired the undocumented?

DOBBS: Senator, I'm not only aware of it; I have criticized this administration roundly for rolling back Davis-Bacon in an effort not to pay a prevailing wage in the very area that's been decimated by these disasters.

The very suggestion is obscene when, at the same time the federal government is putting out cost-plus contracts to construction and contractors.

DURBIN: Well, right on.

DOBBS: I find absolutely deplorable.

DURBIN: But if you think that this policy in Hurricane Katrina from this administration is hard to follow, maybe unintelligible, the same thing can be said of our immigration laws. My point is this: I don't understand the Katrina policy and neither of the secretaries today could explain it: why you say to employers, go ahead and hire the undocumented in one instance and then when a person shows up with a child in a shelter asking for food and water, they're saying, we're deporting you right now. That doesn't make sense.

But let me just concede the obvious. This immigration system is not working. It has failed. But we've also got to acknowledge the fact that we have some 10 million Americans who are now undocumented and a part of our economy in the United States.

We have people who are a major part of the economy in the city of Chicago.

DOBBS: When you say a major part -- excuse me, Senator. But, you know, I've heard this line of reasoning from too many people suggesting they're a major part of the economy.

What they are is a way in which employers manage to pay less than fair wages so that they have labor, rather than paying prevailing wages to U.S. citizens. You know, this nonsense that illegal aliens do work that Americans won't do -- that is utter nonsense.

DURBIN: Well, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

DOBBS: Americans will do work at the wages that are being offered.

DURBIN: I have to disagree with you. There is exploitation. There is no doubt about the exploitation. I'm not sitting here trying to defend it any way.

But I will just tell you, point blank: Go to a major city in America -- certainly a major city in my state -- and ask restaurant owners and hotel owners how their businesses would fare without undocumented workers, and you'll see the harsh reality.

These men and women are doing things in jobs every single day. They're an important part of the economy. And if you had your wish and they all left tomorrow, it would have a dramatic negative impact.

We've got have a system. We've got have a system that enforces our laws, but creates a means by which people can earn their way to legal residency if they work hard and pay taxes, they're good citizens, and basically follow the rules.

DOBBS: Senator, they broke the law and they violated every aspect of our immigration laws.

DURBIN: Lou, I wish you could sit in my office.

DOBBS: I wish you would come to my office.

DURBIN: I wish you would sit in my office and hear some of the cases. What about an 18-year-old girl who came from Korea at the age of two, whose parents didn't file the necessary and proper paperwork?

She learns at age 18 she is undocumented.

DOBBS: Senator, come to my office and listen to the thousands of people who are lined up to get immigration -- legal immigration into the country, who are absolutely distraught.

You and every one in the United States Senate who is not dealing with this issue -- the United States Congress and this White House have effectively put Vicente Fox in charge of America's immigration.

DURBIN: Don't overstate my position because I haven't really been asked to explain it. But I will tell you what I feel.

First, the system is terrible. It needs to be enforced for our security and for our economy. There is no question about it.

Secondly, if the system is going to work to get ten million plus to come forward and to make certain we know who they are, where they are, where they're working and when they're going to stay or go home, then we've got to have a system that doesn't basically say, if we catch you, you're gone.

And I think the systems that we've heard may make us feel good, that we're getting tough. But I don't think they answer that basic question.

DOBBS: And the basic question that I was waiting to hear asked of Secretary Chertoff testifying before your committee today: Secretary of Homeland Security, Mr. Secretary, how can the president of the United States talk about border security? How can you be the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security and permit three million people to enter this country illegally?

DURBIN: Well, I think the reality is that is one of the national security issues that we have to own up to. It's a real one, and it's a legitimate question. But let's also be very candid about this.

The idea that we can close our borders to Canada and Mexico and keep everyone out is not a realistic proposal.

DOBBS: Should we just, then, surrender?

DURBIN: No, of course not.

DOBBS: Well, then why in the world can't the greatest superpower on the face of the earth, the greatest economy, the greatest society and democracy, have the leadership and the will to provide security for its borders?

We're spending $200 billion a year on a war against terror and we don't have the capacity to protect our own borders?

DURBIN: We do have that capacity to some extent.

DOBBS: Why don't we do it? DURBIN: But to say that we can keep every person out who wants to cross a 2,000 mile border is unrealistic. What we've got say is, once you're here, those who want to go to work -- we're going to hold employers responsible for hiring undocumented people.

We've not done that. I think that's got to be part of the enforcement of this. We also have to understand 10 million are here.

What are we going to do to move to where we want to be?

DOBBS: Senator Durbin, it is good to have you with us. We're out of time.

At least it appears an awakening has begun on the part of the administration. Hopefully, it will be a profound and real one. We thank you.

DURBIN: Thanks, Lou.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

DOBBS: Senator, come to my office and listen to the thousands of people who are lined up to get immigration -- legal immigration into the country, who are absolutely distraught.

You and every one in the United States Senate who is not dealing with this issue -- the United States Congress and this White House have effectively put Vicente Fox in charge of America's immigration.
    Go get them President Dobbs. My Man Lou hit the nail on the head with this statement.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

lou

Well Dobbs is the man in our corner, I can't help but feel he is just another cog in the elites manipulations to divide the populace over this issue.

Oh how divisive it is as we well know.

If I were the head of some scummy elite I would foster this rage and then rob the bank of our great nation.

Hey, while the country burns is anyone paying attention to the national debt, personal bankruptcys', the TRADE DEFICIT, the inablity of our government to sell its worthless bonds these days? Whew! Meanwhile we scream ourselves hoarse over this issue.

I feel Dobbs is genuine, however he is the flip side of a majoraty that is throwing this immigration reality in out face. Remember the dialectic, and pray for Lou, if he is for real. cheers glenn

just about everyone i talk to is totally peeved with illegal immigration but the politicians do nothing......the minutemen are heroes....