Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DISHONEST IMMIGRATION LANGUAGE MASKS THE REAL ISSUES

DISHONEST IMMIGRATION LANGUAGE MASKS THE REAL ISSUES

By Georgie Anne Geyer
    May 3, 2007

CHICAGO -- This week's large immigration rallies, led in numbers by the estimated 150,000 marchers here on historic May Day, showed some new attitudes of illegal aliens that, if they were thinking squarely, they would not want revealed.

The revelations come, as so often, with the language used in the rallies across the country, words and phrases such as "anger," "rights," "path to citizenship," "immigration nation" and "legalization for all immigrants." Finally, there is the curious, almost innocent refrain that "We are not illegals."

Anger? These hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens -- not the fashionable "undocumented," but the genuine "illegals" -- were angry because the country they had literally broken into, without showing that respect for the nation that proper documentation entails, dared anyone even to question their right to be here. Yet the only people who really have a right to be here are citizens who have solemnly pledged their troth to America, or visitors with proper visas or other appropriate papers.

Demanding a "path to citizenship" is yet another curious claim. The United States already has a path to citizenship; it is a road that starts with applying legally, waiting your turn, and earning citizenship according to America's needs and decisions, not your own.

Instead, these folks are demanding their own special shortcut. They demand citizenship because they want it! Anything else is the equivalent of a double-cross.

Consider the phrases "immigration nation" and "legalization for all immigrants." The first, implying that the United States is primarily a nation of immigrants, has been used to death. Actually, ours is principally a nation of laws and sociologically a nation of citizens. Immigrants have usually been welcome, but only within the structures and limits of those two baselines of America: respect for the law and acceptance of the responsibilities of being a citizen.

But it is the final phrase -- "We are not illegals" -- that stands at the zenith of all the others. The dialogue of the entire immigration debate has become so convoluted and so filled with dishonesty that these "visitors" to the United States now really believe they are NOT illegal!

One young man in Los Angeles, where violence unfortunately broke out between the marchers and the police, went so far as to carry a sign saying, "There is no such thing as an Illegal." Doubtless this young man's mind was floating in some utopian world where no borders are necessary to order man's existence and where no man is an island.

Several changes stand out from the ebullient marches of the spring of 2006. Those marches, which were larger in numbers and were defined for many by the political mistake of marchers carrying Mexican flags and pictures of Che Guevara, were planned to show America it could not go "A Day Without Illegals."

This year's marches were far more demanding in their calls: that America accommodate them, not that they should accommodate, much less honor, America. Focus was on criticizing the recent deportations of illegals and, in particular here in Chicago, on recent police raids against ID fraud (perfectly legitimate, given the extent of the problem). Indeed, the idea underneath everything was that America was unbearably unfair and cruel to the "undocumented." But there were few Mexican flags this year -- they had learned.

The most cynical change was the use of children to raise sympathy. As more illegals have been deported, it was inevitable that families would be split up. This is always sad, often regretful, sometimes a tragedy. But let's be real. The children left behind are here because their parents chose to give birth to them in America, most often as a way of staying themselves, as the parents of a citizen (under the 14th Amendment, every child born in the U.S. is automatically a citizen). Just visit any hospital on the American side of the border and hear the stories.

As Homeland Security Chief Michael Chertoff commented correctly early in the day: "We're sympathetic, but you have to understand it was the parents' choice to break the law."

In short, we are seeing a new lobby form, mostly Hispanic and potentially powerful in numbers. It is aided by the many activist Latino groups such as MALDEF, the Council for La Raza and many others -- some of them, ironically, federally funded. Since most of the members came illegally, they can hardly have the deep respect for the law that characterizes most U.S. citizens. And more and more, it is they who are imposing their values -- and proud of that.

Only a few years ago, we spoke of 3 million illegals in America, then 5 million. Today it is between 12 million and 20 million. The Heritage Foundation has figured that, if only these people present in the U.S. stay here, they will be responsible for a rise in population of 103 million in the next 50 years, and doubtless their culture will come to dominate in many parts of the country.

Meanwhile, the border from which they are coming -- the 2,000 miles between the United States and Mexico -- is becoming criminalized to a degree never seen before. The Associated Press just reported from the border at Sasabe, Mexico, that drug lords are taking over the business of smuggling immigrants into the U.S., using them as human decoys to stop authorities from capturing cocaine shipments.

And in Mexico, the oligarchic rich who control that country and cut off virtually all upward mobility for their people, keep the American "escape valve" open.

How amazing that we take part in such a shoddy and dangerous charade.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucgg/20070503/c ... realissues
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

FINALLY --an article that encompasses all of what is wrong with these arrogant, illegal invaders and those of their raza who by no fault have become public officials in order to destroy America and turn it into Amexico.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Just when I thought I had heard all the latest PC terms for illegal immigration, along comes a new one and surprises me still. Dishonest Immigration? Wow! what will be next?

Demanding a "path to citizenship" is yet another curious claim. The United States already has a path to citizenship; it is a road that starts with applying legally, waiting your turn, and earning citizenship according to America's needs and decisions, not your own.
    They don't to follow the existing path to citizenship, they simply want it handed to them without having to earn it. I love the tag lines they use saying, "We built this nation."
    The illegal class must have been pretty damn busy in the last 30 years to build up our entire country. If this is the case, I need to contact my old high school history teacher and tell him he misinformed us by saying "Americans built this country."
    According to the illegal crowd, they built it for us because it's a job we didn't want to do!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

question to IsSmith 1338

IsSmith 1338, i love to read your articles! guess that's why you are the admin! I have a question. What if, and I hope that is a big IF, they pass the amnesty bill, how would that effect the Social Security offices? would not all of these folks have to obtain a SS#? what kind of a back log is that going to cause?

Banned
    What if, and I hope that is a big IF, they pass the amnesty bill, how would that effect the Social Security offices? would not all of these folks have to obtain a SS#? what kind of a back log is that going to cause?
    Welcome Lone!

I think the logjam for obtaining numbers from the SS office will be the least of our worries. If an amnesty passes, GW Bush is planning on signing the Totalization Agreement with Mexico which would allow illegals who have worked here using stolen SS numbers access to SS retirement benefits after working for only 1.5 years (even though Americans must work for 10 years to be eligible). I heard Robert Rector of the Heritage Foundation say a couple nights ago that for the 12 million illegals who are here, retirement benefits ALONE would amount to $2.5-3 TRILLION. Keep in mind that the national debt is $8.8 TRILLION.

Add in the other TRILLIONS for welfare, medicaid, food stamps, education and we're talking MANY, MANY TRILLIONS, and many times the cost of the Iraq War!!!

The revelations come, as so often, with the language used in the rallies across the country, words and phrases such as "anger," "rights," "path to citizenship," "immigration nation" and "legalization for all immigrants." Finally, there is the curious, almost innocent refrain that "We are not illegals."
    We noticed, here in LA, the marchers this year had a much stronger "in your face" attitude about them than in 2006. If this attitude progresses we are in for big trouble here in America. I doubt the hand wringers in Washington would have any idea what to do.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>