Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Do you want to watch the border? Just log on!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4307770.html

Nov. 3, 2006, 8:21AM
    Do you want to watch the border? Just log on!

SAN ANTONIO — The public is getting its first chance to view images from cameras installed along the Texas-Mexico border as part of a state program meant to cut down on drug activity and illegal crossings.

Images from eight border surveillance cameras were opened to the public Thursday at the Web site www.texasborderwatch.com.

The test run is a step forward for Gov. Rick Perry's "virtual border watch" program, a plan to spend $5 million placing cameras in vast stretches of remote, criminal hotspots along the border and broadcasting the images live on the Internet.

While the program has fallen behind Perry's goal announced in June of having the cameras up in a month, the latest advancement is an important test, officials said.

"There is only one way to test it, and that's open it up for business," said Texas Homeland Security Director Steve McCraw.

State officials said six companies have developed demonstration models for parts of the system, such as cameras, since June at no cost to the state. Fifteen surveillance cameras have been operating in South Texas, but the images have been available only to law enforcement and landowners where cameras are located.

McCraw said a Plano company, Tactical Resource Gear Emergency Management Solutions Ltd., designed and built the Web site for $100,000. He said the money paid to the company came from $5 million in federal grants for border security and was earmarked for the web camera program.

The state hasn't awarded a contract for the program, but its technical specifications were scheduled to be released by today. Companies will then have 30 days to submit proposals.

McCraw said the project will grow to include at least 70 cameras throughout South Texas, some of which will have zoom lens and thermal capacity.

Members of the public who see criminal activity over the Web cameras can e-mail authorities. The messages will go to the state's operations center in Austin and local law enforcement officers in the affected area.

The cameras will operate at 13 hotspots for illegal activity, including at Amistad Reservoir in Del Rio and Falcon Lake in Zapata. Others will be in other border zones, as well as along highways, at rest stops or near inspection stations that are frequented by criminals, officials said.

Some civil rights groups have criticized the virtual border watch plan, saying it will instill fear in border communities and could lead to fraudulent crime reports and racial profiling.
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

Banned
    Members of the public who see criminal activity over the Web cameras can e-mail authorities. The messages will go to the state's operations center in Austin and local law enforcement officers in the affected area.
    So they can respond 3 days later?

Unless they have enough border patrol close by and ready to catch the intruders, how can they think this would ever work?

That's what I thought too--nothing like an email in the time of cell-phones, text messaging, and Instant Messaging. Leave it to government to ignore technology at the peril of citizens...
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

I agree with you guys, but I logged on and it's pretty cool.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

All I need to watch the border is to go sit out in my yard.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Can anyone log-on or only residents of Texas? I signed up over an hour ago, but have yet to receive a password.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Can anyone log-on or only residents of Texas? I signed up over an hour ago, but have yet to receive a password.
    Maybe they are running a background check to make sure you're not a smuggler?

Banned
    MW, maybe this is a government ploy to get anti-open borders citizens to contact them so they can track them!

Just kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Same with me???
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That might be the case. My password was instantly emailed to me - it did go into my junk mail folder (how appropriate).
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast