Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

'Dog Whisperer' speaks up about success, easing pup predicam

Nowdays you never know where you'll run across a story about illegal immigration.

http://www.mcall.com

From The Morning Call
    July 30, 2006

'Dog Whisperer' speaks up about success, easing pup predicaments
    By Joanna Poncavage Of The Morning Call
    CESAR MILLAN of 'The Dog Whisperer,' the National

Geographic Channel's top-rated TV show, says he loves getting troubled dogs in tune with their

owners.

Courtesy of the

National Geographic Channel

Dog Whisperer Week begins today, the start of a six-night run of TV shows featuring Cesar Millan and his calm, assertive ways with man's best friend. With three new premieres and three previously aired favorites, the week of non-stop Cesar eases National Geographic Channel's top-rated show to a new time slot at 9 p.m. Mondays.

Two years ago, the world had yet to meet Cesar, who came to the United States from Mexico as an illegal immigrant. Today, dog lovers everywhere tune in to see The Dog Whisperer jump behind the wheel of a red Jeep and leave his Dog Psychology Center in Los Angeles to visit homes with pooch problems. Like a canine nanny, Millan uses exercise, discipline and affection to restore order and help dog owners regain their place as leaders of the pack.

The third season of this animal lovers' delight begins in October, and pup predicaments will take new episodes to New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Omaha and Cleveland. Featured will be some of Millan's celebrity clients, including Jada Pinkett-Smith and Oscar nominee Virginia Madsen.

The Millan empire has entered new media territory, too. Published in April, ''Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems'' (Harmony, $24.95, 320 pp.) tops the New York Times bestselling hardcover advice titles. The show has been nominated for a Primetime Emmy. DVDs of shows and dog-training seminars are available.

We recently sent Cesar Millan a list of 10 questions. Here are the questions and his answers:

Q: How did you come to have such a special gift for interacting with dogs? (Were you born with it, or can anybody learn it?

Cesar: Ever since I was a small boy, I can remember dreaming of becoming the best dog trainer in the world. I grew up on a farm in Mexico, and when it came to understanding and communicating with animals, my grandfather taught me to never go against Mother Nature. I took this to heart, and still apply it to my work with dogs, every day. I also worked with dogs for years before the show or the book — essentially I have worked with thousands of dogs for over 20 years. My experience with all kinds of dogs and my grandfather's lesson is what I attribute my rapport to.

Q: What kind of person would you describe yourself as?

Cesar: This is an interesting question. If you read my book, you discover that I am actually a different person now than I used to be. Just like anyone, I have changed and grown and learned as I've gotten older. I was a lot more ''macho'' in my youth. Things were much more black and white to me. I talk a lot in the book and in my lectures about learning women's psychology and how that helped me with my marriage. But at my core, I am simply someone who loves my family and loves my job — and it just doesn't get much better than that!

Q: What are your goals and what motivates you toward achieving them?

Cesar: I have been so fortunate the past few years that I have already achieved many of my goals. But my ultimate goal is to create a sanctuary for dogs with hundreds of acres where they can run, swim and live a long and peaceful life. Many of the dogs in my pack were going to be put down because their owners couldn't get anyone to help them control aggressive behavior. My pack now all lives in harmony, and I would love to increase the number of dogs we are able to take in and have a wonderful area for them.

Q: What's important to you?

Cesar: Family is the most important thing to me. My wife, Illusion, and my two boys. And, of course, my pack.

Q: Describe a typical day for you, at home with your family and at work.

Cesar: These days there is no such thing as a typical day. When I can, I like to get up early and take the pack for a run in the mountains or on the beach. But we are filming right now and I am traveling a lot, so every day is different.

Q: What was your life like in Mexico? What does the recent focus on U.S. immigration policy bring to your thoughts and feelings?

Cesar: My life in Mexico was probably not that much different than for other kids in Mexico. We lived on a farm, where I learned about animals from my grandfather. I came to America from Mexico in 1990, with no money in my pocket and the dream and ambition to become the best dog trainer in the world. It is not a secret that I crossed the border illegally, but I am now a legal resident and applying for full citizenship status. There is no country I'd rather live in. I started as a groomer, but in less than 10 years, I was working with packs of overly aggressive dogs. My business started to expand with no marketing — just word-of-mouth. This would not have been possible anywhere else in the world. I am now living the American dream.

As for the immigration issue, I discuss it in my book. When you are poor and living in Mexico, there is no way to get a legal visa. It requires a lot of money and connections, which my family did not have. I think immigration is a serious issue, and I am glad that it is being debated in this country. I hope someday the resolution will allow people like me with a dream and a desire to come to America to do so legally.

Q: Now you're famous. You've written a book, you've been written about in respected publications, you've been on Oprah Winfrey, and you are the Dr. Phil for Dogs. Has the extent of your fame surprised you? How has it changed your life and your relationships?

Cesar: I feel incredibly blessed by all that has happened to me. At the same time, I look at it like I had a dream in my mind — a crystal clear goal — and I set all my heart and soul and energy into making that dream into reality. I always tell my sons that if you truly set your mind to something and give it 100 percent dedication, you can make it happen. So in that regard, I think my story is just a lesson that anyone, no matter what their background, can reach a goal if they truly believe in it.

Q: Here in Allentown, police recently broke up a big, well-organized, dog-fighting operation, arresting several men and rescuing several wounded dogs. How does this kind of cruelty affect you? Are there some people who should not own dogs?

Cesar: This greatly saddens me. Dog fighting is a huge problem that I don't think most Americans are aware of. I often work with dogs that have been rescued from the street, or gang activity where they have been encouraged to develop violent, aggressive behaviors. This is abuse, and that is one of the reasons I want to create my sanctuary where animals like this can come live a peaceful life. Clearly people who use dogs for this type of activity should not own dogs.

Q: What do you think dogs can teach us about living peaceful, healthy and happy lives?

Cesar: Mother Nature is all about balance. When dogs are in a balanced state of mind, they are peaceful and happy. I think we can learn a lot from that. Balance is a good thing for anyone.

Q: What do you do to relax and have fun away from dogs? (If you are ever away from dogs.)

Cesar: Honestly, being with the dogs is what is most relaxing for me.

joanna.poncavage@mcall.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Damn.

Till this very moment, I had been a great fan of Cesar Millan and the Show The Dog Whisperer.

Now that I have found out that Cesar Milan came to America as an illegal immigrant, I will write him and explain that I am no longer a fan and will no longer watch the Show.

Me and my family had been recording the show on DVR and encouraging others to watch. That comes to an end today.

What a complete letdown.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

For me a better question is what is he doing to create jobs in Mexico.

It would be helpful if he advised others against coming here illegally.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If he had nothing to hide then he would'nt have to Whisper.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedeagle
    Welcome!!!! That is very well said.

Cesar Millan should consider helping out his own people as well as helping out the dogs he trains.

Cesar: Mother Nature is all about balance. When dogs are in a balanced state of mind, they are peaceful and happy. I think we can learn a lot from that. Balance is a good thing for anyone.
    Yes, Cesar, it is about balance the 12-20 million illegal immigrants upsets that balance.

Yes, Cesar, it is about balance the 12-20 million illegal immigrants upsets that balance.
    Well said CW. And I'm quite sure there are dogs running in packs in Mexico that could use his volunter help, too. Unfortunately, that won't get him his piece of the American Dream.

I heard about him through my daughter, who has a frisky puppy to train. She said she bought/will buy his book. Wish she would read "Mortal Danger", too but the puppy training at this point seems more important. Sigh.

Welcome Woundedeagle!
    Americans First!