Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Don't Bring Your Mexican Flag - It Might Look Bad

http://www.ksl.com

Bring Mexican Flags
    April 5th, 2006 @ 10:00pm
    Samantha Hayes reporting

Thousands of Utahns will march again this weekend over Immigration reform.

However this time, some Latinos will be leaving the Mexican flag at home.

In an open letter, Representative Chris Cannon urged protestors to consider how they are expressing themselves.

There are protestors who say the Mexican flag is a symbol of pride, others who say the issue is American Citizenship - and only American flags should be seen.

While protesting a very controversial issue, Utah students created a bit of controversy themselves: Walking out of class, and waving Mexican flags.

It prompted this statement from Utah Representative Chris Cannon:

"Marching through the streets carrying the flags of other nations, burning flags, chanting racial slurs, and otherwise demeaning those of differing opinions are not the kinds of "protests" that contribute to a meaningful debate.."

You may have seen a commercial from the local Colonial Flag store:

"I am proud of my Samoan heritage, and I am proud to be an American."

"My name is Victor… I am proud to be a Mexican, and I am proud to be an American."

Paul Swenson, Colonial Flag: Its okay to hold your flag in one hand for your heritage and the U.S. flag in the other."

Some Latinos say waving the Mexican flag has become misunderstood.

Josie Leos: "I'm supportive of the Mexican flag because it is who we are its part of our heritage and pride but a lot of people don't understand."

But Josie Leos, and others in the community are preparing signs - rather than flags- for a Sunday March downtown.

Many Latinos say through making these posters they hope to send a visual message to the U.S. government and to the public. Their goal is to do it in a non-offensive way.

Organizers are asking participants to only bring USA and Utah flags as a sign of respect.

Tony Yapias , Proyecto Latino De Utah: "Basically we want to have a positive message about our march that we are going to be having Sunday."

Demonstrations are planned for Sunday and Monday- where thousands of people- many with opposing views- will be gathering in the same place.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

If you have to tell them to leave their mexican flags at home or ask them to bring an American flag, what's the point? They're obviously not interested in becoming Americans.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

If you visit COSA, they are spreading the word that the protesters should carry only the American flag.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

From the Pro-Illegals

http://www.miracoalition.org/press/p...ed-by-politics
    4/ 7/2006 12:00 pm - After over a month of debate and the glimmer of a compromise, today the U.S. Senate failed to pass comprehensive immigration reform legislation.

Dreams of a New America Derailed by Politics

Boston, MA – After over a month of debate and the glimmer of a compromise, today the U.S. Senate failed to pass comprehensive immigration reform legislation.

As news of the complex compromise emerged last night, the immigrant community braced itself for deciding votes today on a bill viewed as a small step forward, but far from perfect. Instead, partisan bickering blocked any chance of real progress.

"Today, the U.S. Senate lost an opportunity to lead our country forward," said Ali Noorani, executive director of the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition. "The hard work of Senators Kennedy and McCain was cast aside by unrealistic, irresponsible political posturing of those who claim that only increased enforcement is enough to fix our immigration system."

Noorani continued, "A major reason immigrants come to America is because our democratic process serves everyone. Today, unfortunately, our democratic process failed the dreams and aspirations of the immigrant community. Everyday the President and Congress fail to act, immigrants die in the desert, taxpaying immigrants live in the shadows and our communities weaken."

"It is important to realize that no law has passed. The Senate may take up the issue again after their upcoming two week recess."

Noorani concluded, "On April 10, 2006, over a million immigrants and their allies will gather in 75 cities across the United States to say We Are America. In Boston, thousands will gather for a peaceful rally at the Boston Common at 4:00 PM, and at 5:15 PM march with U.S. Flags to Copley Square for a concluding rally."

The April 10th event is being coordinated by a vast coalition of organizations, churches, leaders and businesses known as the April 10th Committee.