Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Drier Rejects Senate Version of Immigration Bill

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3861567
    Article Launched: 05/24/2006 12:00:00 AM PDT

Dreier rejects Senate version of immigration bill

Glendora Republican will stick with House colleagues on immigration measures
    By Sara A. Carter, Staff Writer

Rep. David Dreier announced Wednesday that he will not vote for the Senate's version of immigration legislation, breaking ranks with the White House and bolstering his image as a hard-liner on the border.
    Emblematic of the impending battle for a compromise, the Republican chairman of the House Rules Committee said he will fight with his colleagues to ensure the Senate bill does not take precedence over the border security bill passed by the House in mid-December.

The Senate's proposal to grant a path to citizenship for an estimated 12 million to 20 million illegal immigrants would create an ill-equipped bureaucracy, said Dreier in an interview with the Daily Bulletin on Wednesday. He added that border security must remain a top priority in any immigration reform proposal.

"I'm in the business of finding a solution to this pressing critical problem, but we have to secure our border first," said Dreier, of Glendora. "My view is legislation should be citizen neutral. Anything that gives any advantage to someone who is here illegally is troubling and wrong. The massive huge new bureaucracy that the Senate bill will create is just another problem with the bill."

On Wednesday, in a vote of 73 to 25, the Senate closed the debate on the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Package, opening the door for the measure's passage this week. The final legislation, however, will have to be negotiated with the House.

According to some House Republicans, the Senate's proposal is tantamount to amnesty without any real teeth in terms of border security. Dreier added that the bill offers Social Security benefits to illegal immigrants.

Dreier's stance on the bill could signal a shift in power, said Jack Pitney, professor of government at Claremont McKenna College and author of numerous essays about the Republican party.

"The conference resolution could end up being closer to the House bill," Pitney said. "Dreier is a considerable figure in the House, which could put Senate Democrats in a difficult position because if they vote against the House, they may be the ones responsible for the defeat of immigration reform. Whether it works out that way nobody knows."

The prospect of no legislation being enacted could pose another problem for the president, who has publicly pushed for a guest-worker program and seen falling approval ratings.

Dreier, a strong supporter of the administration, said he understands Bush's concerns but will work with his colleagues to forge legislation to protect the nation's borders first.

His opposition to the Senate is similar to other House Republican leaders who have resisted the White House efforts for a bill that combines a guest-worker program with border enforcement.

"I've met with the president and talked to him about how strongly I feel about this," Dreier said. "I've had many discussions about the issue with him, and I hope that any compromise has every provision that was included in the House bill -- strategic border fencing, increase of Border Patrol and now our utilization of the National Guard."

Dreier said he hopes a compromise can be reached. But if House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., blocks the Senate's bill from making it's way to a full vote, the legislation may never reach the president.

Among other things, Pitney said, Dreier's move publicly signals his alliance with fellow House members.

"There are several reasons why Dreier decided to openly oppose the legislation -- his strong belief in stopping illegal immigration, his concern about his constituents and the upcoming elections," Pitney said. "And the support for his colleagues -- David Dreier is a man of the House."

Sara A. Carter can be reached by e-mail at sara.carter@dailybulletin.com or by phone at (909) 483-8552.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is very good news. Drier has been wishy washy on immigration in the past. He got a wake-up call though in his last re-election when he was opposed in the primary by a conservative republican who criticized Drier's immigration stance. He nearly lost.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Congratulations Congressman Drier.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Read what he says not what you want him to say!!! He's not saying he won't pass a bill that combines a guest worker bill (which is responsible for over 50% of the illegals here today) with the Border Security Bill. See Below:

"I've met with the president and talked to him about how strongly I feel about this," Dreier said. "I've had many discussions about the issue with him, and I hope that any compromise has every provision that was included in the House bill -- strategic border fencing, increase of Border Patrol and now our utilization of the National Guard."
    In fact, I bet you $50 bucks to be donated to ALIPAC that he tries to sell a guest-worker bill on a promise for border-security just like the 1986 Amnesty Bill!! His votes will tell

It's fantastic news when a slimy Bush-bot like Dreier goes on record against Bush and the Senate's bill.

We'll need to keep the pressure on these Congressman to keep them in line. We're scaring the crap out of them with all of our emails, faxes and phone calls.