Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Drug suspect: I’m just driver

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/13030322.htm

Posted on Sat, Oct. 29, 2005

Drug suspect: I’m just driver

By KEVIN AMERMAN kamerman@leader.net

“I was afraid of getting caught with a suspended license.�

Carlton Deveraeux Arrested after flight

WILKES-BARRE – Carlton Deveraeux says being an illegal immigrant from Jamaica has made it hard to find a job in the United States.

But, while he was in New York, he found out about a job in Wilkes-Barre’s growing drug market.

Deveraeux, 33, who says his birth name is Carlton Nosworthy, spoke softly and with regret during a telephone interview from the Luzerne County Correctional Facility on Friday. He was arrested Thursday after he and another man allegedly sold drugs to an undercover officer, then temporarily avoided arrest by fleeing.

Deveraeux was stopped after allegedly crashing into a police car and, moments later, into a pickup, injuring a Wilkes-Barre man and his 16-year-old daughter.

“I was afraid of getting caught with a suspended license.�

Deveraeux said he had worked as a photographer for a cruise line, but hopped off the ship in Miami for a better opportunity for his mother and his four children. He said he took a bus to New York City and worked as a taxi driver, sending some money home to Jamaica.

He said someone in New York made a phony drivers license for him, but he was eventually caught by police.

He said he accepted the job in Wilkes-Barre and moved to Maffett Street about a month ago in desperation, knowing it was wrong.

“I spoke to this one guy and he set me up with someone. He said all I have to do is drive,� Deveraeux said.

“I knew it wasn’t the right thing to do. It’s the first time I broke the law.�

Deveraeux insists he did not sell drugs, but did drive around a drug dealer whom he identified only as Ryan, the passenger who was in his car Thursday. Ryan ran from the crash scene and avoided arrest. Police said they have a good idea who Ryan is and expect to arrest him.

“It was the other guy who had the stuff on him,� Deveraeux said.

Lt. Frank Hacken of the state police at Wyoming, said he’s not surprised Deveraeux claims he only drove and didn’t deal drugs.

“Everybody when they’re arrested says, ‘I’m a runner, I’m a nobody,’ � Hacken said. “It’s a common reaction.�

The lieutenant said “drug money� was found on Deveraeux after the arrest.

Hacken said it’s becoming increasingly common for out-of-state drug dealers to open shop in Luzerne County.

“We’re seeing more and more people coming into the Northeast specifically for the purpose of dealing drugs. “There is a demand and that’s a major concern.�

Hacken said an increased number of drug dealers leads to competition, which lowers illegal drug prices, making it easier for people to afford drugs and support their addictions.

“We will continue to combat that,� he said. “The goal is to improve quality of life for the citizens.�

Deveraeux is in jail in lieu of $100,000 bail on charges of criminal use of a communications facility, possession of a controlled substance, possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance, recklessly endangering another person, fleeing or attempting to elude police, simple assault and aggravated assault.

Deveraeux said he wants to turn his life around.

“I want a chance to do what everybody else does,� he said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“I knew it wasn’t the right thing to do. It’s the first time I broke the law.� OK so he hopped ship ILLEGALLY and bought a fake drivers license and this is the first time he broke the law?

Ryan ran from the crash scene and avoided arrest. So Carlton, being 33, isn't so fleet of foot anymore.

I want a chance to do what everybody else does. So obey the law stupid & deport yourself when you get out of prison.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)