Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Duncan Hunter Makes Official Presidential Bid!!

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs. ... 0770125014

http://www.gohunter08.com/Home.aspx

by The Associated Press
    updated January 25, 2007 9:23 am
    Spartanburg, S.C. – U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter made his Republican presidential bid official today in the early voting state of South Carolina.

"Let's begin this race for the American presidency and let's win," Hunter said, wrapping up a 25 minute speech.

Advertisement
    Before the speech, Hunter said South Carolina "is the heartland of what I call the arsenal of democracy." The Spartanburg area played a key role in textile products for the military in two world wars, but that manufacturing base is going away, Hunter said.

"Nobody wins the presidency without winning South Carolina," Hunter said.

The 14-term conservative from California set up his exploratory committee last week for his long-shot presidential bid.

Hunter has made no secret of his White House aspirations. He announced his intentions in October, becoming the first GOP candidate to declare, and then began making stops in early primary states, including Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Little known outside of Congress and his San Diego district, Hunter can use the exposure. He is a strong foe of illegal immigration, an issue that plays well in South Carolina, which has some of the nation's lowest wages as well as one of the country's highest jobless rates as manufacturing jobs leave the state.

Hunter already has some deep-pocket allies in South Carolina, including textile magnate Roger Milliken, who supports Hunter's promise to protect U.S. manufacturers.

"I'm thrilled that he's running," said Milliken, who hasn't yet endorsed a presidential candidate. "This point of view he represents must be heard."

Hunter also wants fences extended along the U.S.-Mexico border and supports the prosecution of smugglers bringing illegal immigrants across the border.

Hunter was born in Riverside, Calif., and was an Army Ranger in Vietnam. He worked his way through law school with farming and construction jobs. Hunter won his U.S. House seat in 1980 and has been an ardent military supporter, serving as House Armed Services Committee chairman until Republicans lost control of Congress in November's elections. His son has spent a pair of seven-month tours in Iraq.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Glad to see that it is official.

This does a heart good!

So far - unless we find out otherwise........this guy & Tancredo are the only real Americans in the race.

I very much like his long term experience and the fact that he is a Vet in good standing - not some wannabe parading around in medals & awards obtained by ill gotten means.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Has he set up a web site?

I really look forward to hearing more out of him. I too like the fact that he is a vet. In the limited numbers of times I have seen him, I have really liked what he has had to say.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    Has he set up a web site?
    Kate, I just found this link.

http://www.gohunter08.com/Home.aspx
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by anniealone
    I really look forward to hearing more out of him. I too like the fact that he is a vet. In the limited numbers of times I have seen him, I have really liked what he has had to say.
    Yup, ANNIE
    He speaks well and is not a one-note guy. Imo, right now {I'm always cautious} he truly loves the USA and our Constitution.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/poli ... nter1.html

Hunter makes it official: He's a candidate

By Finlay Lewis
    COPLEY NEWS SERVICE

10:38 a.m. January 25, 2007

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter, hoping to become the first San Diegan to occupy the White House, became an official candidate for president Thursday morning with a forceful pledge to carry forward Ronald Reagan's policy of “peace through strength.”

Associated Press
    Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter, best known for his advocacy on behalf of the military, launched a longshot bid for the presidency Thursday in this early voting state.
    Speaking at a breakfast rally in a ballroom filled with about 250 enthusiastic supporters, Hunter offered a staunchly conservative message that attacked unfair trade deals, warned about China's mounting military might and voiced support for President Bush's troop surge in Iraq. He also said he would toughen border security and to appoint judges opposed to abortion to the federal bench.
    Hunter's announcement propels him into the 2008 race for the GOP nomination as an extreme underdog – one who registers only 1 percent in most polls.

With the campaign sorting itself into a top tier of two front runners – former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Arizona Sen. John McCain – with everybody else below, Hunter clearly begins his effort on the bottom rung.

Hunter made an earlier announcement of his campaign intentions in October in San Diego. He billed his appearance Thursday in South Carolina as his formal announcement. South Carolina is an early primary state with a strongly conservative, protectionist, anti-abortion, pro-military tradition.

The 58-year-old Alpine Republican presented himself as a Vietnam combat veteran and as the son of one Marine and the father of another. He cited his service on the House Armed Services Committee – including a four-year stint as chairman that ended three weeks ago – as having helped to reverse the policies of the Clinton Administration. He said those policies caused the deterioration of the armed services.

He listed some of the winners of the Congressional Medal of Honor for valor in combat and the estimated 600,000 Americans who died in 20th Century wars and then declared, “Our obligation is to stay strong. That's what they want us to do.”

He listed security threats now being posed by North Korea, Iran and China, and said, “We have lots of problems. We're going to have to work on those. We're going to have to look over the horizon.

“But, you know something? We can do it. We can do it with a policy of peace through strength. And, ladies and gentlemen, I want to lead that policy of peace through strength.”

Afterward, Roger Milliken, 91, a wealthy textile magnate, applauded Hunter, in particular his stance against trade agreements he and others have blamed for the loss of U.S. manufacturing and its factory jobs to lower-cost rivals overseas.

“What's happened is that we've lost three million manufacturing jobs over the last six years. That's a disaster,” said Milliken, a prominent bankroller of conservative Republican causes. “Nobody is worried about how we defend our manufacturing strength and our middle class, Duncan Hunter understands that.”

Hunter also won the support of Carole Wells, 63, a Spartanburg resident who recently left a position as South Carolina's Commissioner for Employment Security.

“I believe he carried my thoughts and how I feel about the situation,” said Wells, an unsuccessful candidate for Congress two years ago. “It's very important to be strong on immigration, and I'm pro-life. That's my two defining issues.”

Hunter mentioned his support for legislation to build a border fence along San Diego County's that he credited with halting the “smuggling of hundreds of thousands of people” and of “tons of illegal narcotics.” And he mocked Washington bureaucrats he said are blocking efforts to fence off an additional 700 border miles in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

He said border security has now become a national security as well as an immigration issue and urged swifter action, saying, “Let's do it.

“We have just one message: . . . When you want to come to the United States, come knock on the front door, because the fence is gonna be up and the back door is gonna be closed.”

Hunter definitively sides with the president on Iraq at a time when a number of prominent Republicans, including another presidential candidate, Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas, are opposing Bush's determination to bolster U.S. forces in Baghdad by 21,500 additional troops. “In Iraq, freedom hangs in the balance,” Hunter said.

“Any political party that tries to cut off reinforcements or supplies in shooting war will never be forgiven by our troops and will never be forgiven by the American people,” Hunter said.

But Hunter also had harsh words for the administration on China. He said it had failed to confront the Chinese government over currency policies and cheating on trade deals that he said have made Beijing billions of dollars it could use to build up its military to a point from which it could threaten America's national security.

He referred to a recent delegation to China, led by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, that he said flinched at pressing the issue with high-ranking Chinese officials.

“I thought that Republicans didn't appease Communists, and that's what we did,” Hunter declared.

“Today starts the time for choosing, for every American manufacturer and laborer,” Hunter said. “You can either choose to give into China's cheating, or you can choose to join me to enforce fair trade.”

Many of those attending paid $250 into the coffers of the fledgling campaign, but others were invited as guests, and campaign officials did not have a final figure on how much the event grossed.

Hunter's official entry into the race – following the formation of an exploratory committee about three weeks earlier – was recorded by a bank of television cameras representing most of the local broadcast media outlets.

Later in the day, Hunter was to appear on CNN and Fox News before heading to Charleston, S.C., for events there on Friday and in Myrtle Beach, S.C. on Saturday. Hunter is then scheduled to campaign in New Hampshire before heading back to Washington.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I just signed up for his newsletter. Thanks for the link Sippy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Quote Originally Posted by anniealone
    Yup, ANNIE
    He speaks well and is not a one-note guy. Imo, right now {I'm always cautious} he truly loves the USA and our Constitution.

I totally agree. I am being cautious too, but he is someone who I believe will instill confidence. I think he is of very strong character. But the jury is still out for me. It will be interesting.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast