Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

E-VERIFY VICTORY

E-VERIFY VICTORY -- 7 Senators Switch Sides Since March Defeat

By Roy Beck, Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 1:05 PM

After several defeated efforts, Sen. Sessions (R-Ala.) finally won over a majority of his colleagues this morning. They agreed with him that illegal aliens should not get jobs created with federal tax dollars.

In March, the Sessions E-Verify amendment was killed by tabling in a 50-47 vote.

But this morning, the tabling motion failed 44-53. (The amendment then passed on voice vote.)

12 Democrats and 1 Independent defied Party leadership and voted with all 40 Republicans to:

permanently authorize E-Verify, so the pro-amnesty forces can't constantly threaten to kill it if they don't get their way

require all federal contractors to use E-Verify so returning veterans and other unemployed Americans will get jobs created with federal tax money.

7 SENATORS WHO SWITCHED TO THE GOOD SIDE TODAY

E-Verify won today because these Senators -- who voted to kill the E-Verify mandate in March -- switched today and voted for using E-Verify to keep illegal aliens out of federal contractor jobs.

Kent Conrad (D-N.D.)
    Bryan Dorgan (D-N.D.)
    Mary Landrieu (D-La.)
    Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.)
    Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.)
    Mark Pryor (D-Ark.)
    John Rockefeller (D-W.Va.)
    All of you who live in those states -- especially North Dakota and Arkansas -- take a bow. Thanks for all you have done to help these Senators see the error of their March vote.

6 OTHER DEMOCRATS WHO VOTED TO HIRE AMERICANS

We have to give special thanks to the Democrats who stood with us and unemployed Americans today, because they had to defy their Party leadership to do it.

These Democrats voted for mandating E-Verify both today and back in March:

Max Baucus (D-Mont.)
    Kay Hagan (D-N.C.)
    Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.)
    Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.)
    Ben Nelson (D-Neb.)
    John Tester (D-Mont.)
    If 10 of these 13 Senators continue to put American workers first in their voting, they spell absolute doom for plans to legalize 12-20 million illegal aliens with an amnesty.

If you live in their states, do all you can to express your appreciation for what they did today -- and encourage them to stop all government policies that import foreign workers while 15 million Americans are officially unemployed.

ONE SENATOR WHO WAS A BACKSLIDER TODAY

Jim Webb (D-Va.)

I have to conclude that you Virginians have let down in your contacts with your Senators. Sen. Warner (D-Va.) voted both in March and today against requiring federal contractors to hire American workers.

But Sen. Webb in March was 1 of 7 Democrats who voted for E-Verify. Why did he turn against it today and vote to table it? Webb is known as a maverick. Surely he isn't a lap dog for the Democratic leadership which is demanding that all 8 million illegal aliens currently holding jobs be assured of keeping those jobs, instead of U.S. citizens getting them.

Sen. Schumer (D-N.Y.) is the Democrats' leader who is expected to introduce his "comprehensive immigration reform" amnesty legislation later this year. Amazingly, he tried to get all Democrats today to vote against the E-Verify mandate because he said E-Verify isn't TOUGH enough. Can you believe it?

Schumer widely takes credit for getting the first mass amnesty passed in 1986. He has worked with Sen. Kennedy (D-Mass.) ever since to ensure that immigration laws aren't enforced. Now he says that we shouldn't require E-Verify because it isn't tough enough? What he wants is a national bio-metric ID card. Of course, it would be several years before that would be ready to put into use, allowing scoundrel businesses several more years of easily hiring their illegal work force.

Everything Schumer does seems to be about delays to give time so that all illegal aliens will be legal residents so that when a national ID card went into effect it would be too late to open up jobs for Americans.

Well, a 9.5% unemployment rate and stories of returning National Guardsmen who can't find jobs -- plus constant pressure from home-state voters -- has finally produced a victory for mandating government contractors to use E-Verify to keep from hiring illegal aliens.

A dozen Democrats today indicated they aren't going to be part of Schumer's stalling tactics.

Now, we have to stop House Speaker Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Reid (D-Nev.) from killing this E-Verify amendment behind closed doors in the House/Senate negotiating session. If we do, hundreds of thousands of additional Americans will get jobs over the next year and stay off the unemployment rolls.

GIVING REPUBLICANS THEIR DUE CREDIT

I do not for a minute take for granted the unanimous Republican support for American workers against the wishes of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

In past years, we might easily lose a dozen and even a majority of the Republicans to the wishes of the Big Business lobbyists.

That was a bold and courageous thing the Republicans did today. I know that many of them didn't want to do it but felt compelled by voter pressure.

I am especially thankful for strong leadership from Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell who made it clear that he wanted his Party to stand against the anti-American-worker efforts of Sen. Schumer. This is a strong position to be in, because I am quite certain that the majority of all business owners and managers in America stand with the American people against the hiring of illegal foreign workers.

Sen. Sessions' mandatory E-Verify bill is as good for honest, patriotic businesses as it is for U.S. workers.

ROY BECK is Founder & CEO of NumbersUSA

Views and opinions expressed in blogs on this website are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect official policies of NumbersUSA.

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusab ... efeat.html

Related:

The vote recorded for the DeMint Fence Amendment is here-
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-162333.html

The vote recorded for the Sessions EVerify Amendment is here-
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-162331.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

It the Right thing!

This is great news! It is only fair that Americans be hired for these jobs that were created via our tax dollars. I'm really pleased and grateful to Sen. Sessions and all the political leaders that fought for this bill.

I am also feeling more positive about the Democratic party for standing up for the American people.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great news and I will have to write to these Senaors to thank them
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

i thought max baucus voted against e verify in march because i remember making phone calls to all his offices demanding answers on why he KILLED a vote on the sessions amendment in march

This is a GIGANTIC VICTORY!!!!

SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN WORKING THEIR BUTTS OFF TO PRESERVE THIS VALUABLE TOOL IN THIS BATTLE FOR OUR COUNTRY!!! :P
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

This is fantastic news!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

If you live in their states, do all you can to express your appreciation for what they did today -- and encourage them to stop all government policies that import foreign workers while 15 million Americans are officially unemployed

I'd like to add that even if you don't happen to live in those particular states, it might be a great idea to contact these people and thank them for doing the right thing.

After all, it's just as easy to thank someone as it is to criticize them and this is precisely what we've wanted all along.....

All we've asked is that our reps stop pandering to the special interests and harmful agendas of this administration, stop playing the political partisanship game, grow a backbone and stand up for the rights of the American people for a change.

And 12 dems have done exactly what we asked of them. Let them know we're thankful for that!!

Yes, I realize that there is a problem with out-of-district emails and faxes being rejected BUT........

There is still good old fashioned snail mail Peeps!!!

It might take a little bit of extra time but what is a few minutes when talking about issues which will impact this country forever?

Besides that, it might not hurt to re-acquaint ourselves with the "old fashioned" way of doing many things because, let's be realistic, we don't ever know when something could happen to interrupt our use of quick and easy modern conveniences we've all become so reliant upon

Surprise, I contacted John Rockefeller office this morning and could not capture an answer of yes, no, or undecided. I guess he made up his mind. Did Byrd get to vote? They are not my Senators but I will adopt several when a I vote is near.

This was posted by "James62" at this link
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-162333.html

Alabama: Sessions (R-AL), Yea..... Shelby (R-AL), Yea
    Alaska: Begich (D-AK), Nay..... Murkowski (R-AK), Nay
    Arizona: Kyl (R-AZ), Yea..... McCain (R-AZ), Yea
    Arkansas: Lincoln (D-AR), Yea..... Pryor (D-AR), Yea
    California: Boxer (D-CA), Yea..... Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
    Colorado: Bennet (D-CO), Nay..... Udall (D-CO), Nay
    Connecticut: Dodd (D-CT), Nay..... Lieberman (ID-CT), Nay
    Delaware: Carper (D-DE), Nay..... Kaufman (D-DE), Nay
    Florida: Martinez (R-FL), Nay..... Nelson (D-FL), Yea
    Georgia: Chambliss (R-GA), Yea..... Isakson (R-GA), Yea
    Hawaii: Akaka (D-HI), Nay..... Inouye (D-HI), Nay
    Idaho: Crapo (R-ID), Yea..... Risch (R-ID), Yea
    Illinois: Burris (D-IL), Nay..... Durbin (D-IL), Nay
    Indiana: Bayh (D-IN), Yea..... Lugar (R-IN), Nay
    Iowa: Grassley (R-IA), Yea..... Harkin (D-IA), Nay
    Kansas: Brownback (R-KS), Yea Roberts (R-KS), Yea
    Kentucky: Bunning (R-KY), Yea..... McConnell (R-KY), Yea
    Louisiana: Landrieu (D-LA), Yea..... Vitter (R-LA), Yea
    Maine: Collins (R-ME), Nay...... Snowe (R-ME), Yea
    Maryland: Cardin (D-MD), Nay..... Mikulski (D-MD), Nay
    Massachusetts: Kennedy (D-MA), Not Voting..... Kerry (D-MA), Nay
    Michigan: Levin (D-MI), Nay..... Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
    Minnesota: Franken (D-MN), Nay..... Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
    Mississippi: Cochran (R-MS), Nay..... Wicker (R-MS), Yea
    Missouri: Bond (R-MO), Yea..... McCaskill (D-MO), Yea
    Montana: Baucus (D-MT), Yea..... Tester (D-MT), Yea
    Nebraska: Johanns (R-NE), Yea..... Nelson (D-NE), Yea
    Nevada: Ensign (R-NV), Nay..... Reid (D-NV), Nay
    New Hampshire: Gregg (R-NH), Yea..... Shaheen (D-NH), Nay
    New Jersey: Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay..... Menendez (D-NJ), Nay
    New Mexico: Bingaman (D-NM), Nay..... Udall (D-NM), Nay
    New York: Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay..... Schumer (D-NY), Yea
    North Carolina: Burr (R-NC), Yea..... Hagan (D-NC), Nay
    North Dakota: Conrad (D-ND), Yea..... Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
    Ohio: Brown (D-OH), Nay..... Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
    Oklahoma: Coburn (R-OK), Yea..... Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
    Oregon: Merkley (D-OR), Yea..... Wyden (D-OR), Yea
    Pennsylvania: Casey (D-PA), Nay..... Specter (D-PA), Yea
    Rhode Island: Reed (D-RI), Nay..... Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay
    South Carolina: DeMint (R-SC), Yea..... Graham (R-SC), Yea
    South Dakota: Johnson (D-SD), Nay..... Thune (R-SD), Yea
    Tennessee: Alexander (R-TN), Yea..... Corker (R-TN), Yea
    Texas: Cornyn (R-TX), Yea..... Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
    Utah: Bennett (R-UT), Yea..... Hatch (R-UT), Yea
    Vermont: Leahy (D-VT), Nay..... Sanders (I-VT), Nay
    Virginia: Warner (D-VA), Nay..... Webb (D-VA), Yea
    Washington: Cantwell (D-WA), Nay..... Murray (D-WA), Nay
    West Virginia: Byrd (D-WV), Not Voting..... Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
    Wisconsin: Feingold (D-WI), Nay..... Kohl (D-WI), Nay
    Wyoming: Barrasso (R-WY), Yea..... Enzi (R-WY), Yea

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00220
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Now I feel good. I got all my e-mails out to those Democrats to personally thank them for their support and to Senator Jeff Sessions for his victory!
    Bryan Dorgan (D-N.D.)
    is Byron Dorgan
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast