Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Eagle Forum Tells Bush:'No Means No' On Amnesty for Illegals

Eagle Forum tells Bush:'No means no' on amnesty for illegals
    Jim Brown
    OneNewsNow.com
    June 12, 2007

One of the conservative activist groups instrumental in at least temporarily derailing a Senate bill that would grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens living in the U.S. warns the fight against the measure is far from over. The executive director of Eagle Forum says the recent downfall of the bill can be attributed in part to the strong activism of grassroots Americans.

The Bush administration insists the so-called "comprehensive immigration reform" bill is not dead. Yesterday, a defiant President Bush told reporters, "I'll see you at the bill signing." The president plans to head to Capitol Hill this afternoon to meet with Republican senators in hopes of convincing them to embrace the bill.

Jennifer Echard, executive director of Eagle Forum, says the bill may be resurrected for debate, but grassroots Americans have made their opposition known. Echard observes that it is common knowledge that President Bush is "rather persistent when he thinks something is right."

"But the American people are equally as persistent," she counters, "and 'no means no, Mr. President. No means no.'" The Eagle Forum spokeswoman says the American people do not want this bill,. "They don't want to give legalization to all of the illegals who have come here and broken our laws," she argues, "and, I think you're going to see the coalition that formed to oppose the bill over the last few weeks continue to go strong."

According to Echard, senators received an earful from their constituents. "No power is greater than the calls of constituents to senators," she says, "and they were feeling the heat for a good two-and-a-half weeks straight."

She believes the intensity of the sustained public reaction brought about its intended result. "I think the White House was surprised that the American people could be so persistent," notes Echard. "I don't think they doubted that the American people don't actually want this bill -- but the fact that they kept up the heat for [as long as they did] really forced senators to have to look long and hard about their vote."

Both Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) have indicated their willingness to revive debate on the bill.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/06/eagle ... o_mean.php
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Chalk up one win for Americans !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne
    Chalk up one win for Americans !!
    I don't know that it's officially dead yet.

I'm going to keep on calling. Everyday, I'm going to ask my Senators if they have made up their mind. Officially they refuse to take a position. I suspect both of them would support a compromise bill.

Everyday, I'll ask them if it's dead. I'll ask them to do sometning for Americans, not illegal Americans ( aliens ).