Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'Earth-Shattering' Events Worry Chertoff

WASHINGTON - Homeland Security Chief Michael Chertoff's eyes narrow and his voice develops a stern, urgent tone as he reveals America's biggest vulnerability to terrorism.

"The great weapon they have is persistence and patience, and the one weakness that we have is the tendency to lose patience and become complacent," Chertoff tells WTOP.

"It strikes me as hard to accept that anybody would believe the threat is over. There is nothing these terrorists are doing or saying that could lead a reasonable person to believe that they have somehow lost interest. Our biggest challenge is making sure we do not drop our guard because time passes."

Chertoff recognizes it has been more than six years since al Qaida launched the Sept. 11 attacks, but some experts say that's how long it took to plan them, suggesting the U.S. may close in on another spectacular attempt by Osama bin Laden to topple the U.S. economy.

"If you're asking me what keeps me up at night or what I most worry about -- in the short term, obviously, you worry about homegrown terrorists or somebody coming in with an explosive device or the kind of act of violence or terror that we've actually seen occasionally carried out in this country by people who are simply nuts or like a Timothy McVeigh.

"But in the longer run, in terms of something that would really be earth-shattering, the kinds of things I'm worried about are a nuclear or a dirty bomb attack or a nuclear or biological attack. Now I don't believe that the capability to do that is around the corner."

What worries him, worries U.S. intelligence officials as well.

CIA Director Michael Hayden told the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence last week that al Qaida will continue trying to "acquire chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear materials (CBRN), and would not hesitate to use them in attacks."

Director of National Intelligence Michael McConnell said at that same hearing that "al-Qaida remains the pre-eminent threat against the United States."

Europe is at the top of the list of possible launch points for an attack against the U.S.

"One of the things we've become concerned about lately is the possibility of Europe becoming a platform for a threat against the United States," Chertoff told the British Broadcasting Company in mid-January.

Chertoff tells WTOP he's convinced by evidence from 2007 that the stakes are high.

"Just look at what's happened in the last year. We had the attacks in Britain. We had the disrupted plot in Germany. We had the arrests in Spain," Chertoff said. "Clearly terrorists and militants are able to operate within Europe."

The special travel relationship between the U.S. and Europe is worrisome for Chertoff.

"We have a visa waiver program with respect to Europe that allows people to come without getting visas. There's an obvious concern that people might seize that as they tried in August 2006 to use Europe as a platform to attack us."

And CBRN attacks, which are most likely from an organized al Qaida threat, would require the largest protective investment.

"I don't believe that the capability to do that is around the corner, but I also think that the preparations that we need to have in place to deal with this threat are going to take a while to build, and we're building them as we speak.

"But they're not going to be done in six weeks or even six months. So what is important is to stay focused on making the investments now that we will be very grateful for in several years if someone does get their hands on nuclear materials or a biological agent."

What is the Department of Homeland Security doing to prepare for the possibility? Chertoff recites a long list, including scanning capability, the ability to disarm, better intelligence focus and better capability to make sure that the radioactive material in this country is properly accounted for and secured.

"With respect to biological agents, we've got widely deployed biological sensors, but we now want to move to the next generation of sensor, which would be quicker, cheaper and even easier to disperse. We're creating an integrated intelligence fusion capability focused on biological threats, so that we can merge intelligence, clinical information and sensor data in order to rapidly identify and characterize a biological attack."

Chertoff is not sleeping any better than he was last year at this time, but he's not sleeping any worse. He feels the pieces are being put in place to counter an attack from al Qaida, and win the war on terror.

But there is one lingering question that has yet to be answered: Will the nation remain focused enough to finish it?

"We're moving properly and efficiently, but it only works if we don't lose interest in it. If we decide that it's no longer a concern, then we're going to be putting ourselves in danger."

[link to www.wtopnews.com]

He isn't worried enough to shut down our southern border.

Gees, brainiac, Chertoff.......SECURE THE BORDERS, HAVE THE MILITARY AT ALL PORTS AND BOTH THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN BORDER. AND IMMEDIATELY END THE VISA WAIVER PROGRAM FOR ANY NATION. 9/11 SIGNALED AN END TO OUR CARE-FREE, LET EVERYONE IN POLICIES. DO YOUR JOB, MR. CHERTOFF AND YOU WOULDN'T BE HAVING SUCH SLEEPLESS NIGHTS.

Chertoff & Co. are fear mongering again...but for all the wrong reasons. It's election time and McCain is running solely on his "War Hero" status. It's the same thing they did right before the 2004 elections when they dug up the tape of Bin Ladin to scare the public. It's election time soon, and the GOP wants McCain to become BUsh II...the only man in the world who will keep us "safe"!

I don't want to hear another word out of Chertoff's mouth! He makes me sick! SEAL THE BORDERS...or keep your mouth shut!

He could be trying to distract us, this week is the week that the UN trade sanctions against us are implemented. Just what we need while in a recession, but heck, Bushy had to protect his business friends with illegal tariffs.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What worries me is the fact that Chertoff has not slammed the door shut by locking down our borders. Until he closes the borders......its all just talk.

Scare tactic's to help Mc Cain become president!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I have to think about it----

Hmmmm!!!
    Let's see---would I rather be dead or ---living in a John McCain America????

What?? You say it can all be prevented??? Nahhh- too many fat butt lazy Americans who suddenly decide JMcC is a "war hero".

Re: I have to think about it----

Quote Originally Posted by misterbill
    Hmmmm!!!
    Let's see---would I rather be dead or ---living in a John McCain America????

What?? You say it can all be prevented??? Nahhh- too many fat butt lazy Americans who suddenly decide JMcC is a "war hero".
    I think of John McAmnesty as a Manchurian Candidate. He certainly isn't a war hero.

And still they will not secure our borders.

It strikes me as hard to accept that anybody would believe the threat is over. There is nothing these terrorists are doing or saying that could lead a reasonable person to believe that they have somehow lost interest. Our biggest challenge is making sure we do not drop our guard because time passes."
    It looks like America "dropped it's guard" September 12th, 2001.

Where is THE FENCE?

Terrorists are very patient. They have probably already crept into our country through the WIDE OPEN MEXICAN BORDER. And they will continue to keep coming and bringing their weapons.

If Chertoff has a hard time sleeping at night, maybe he should quit and get another job. IMO, he is only trying to make a BUSH MOVE, by instilling fear into Americans who might end up voting for WAR MONGER McCAIN.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast