Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Easley: Give back state authority of National Guard

Easley: Give back state authority of National Guard
    From Staff Reports
    May 11, 2007

Gov. Mike Easley today called on the nation's governors to help undue expanded presidential control of the National Guard in extreme emergencies.
    The move is necessary for governors to effectively respond to natural and man-made disasters, he stated in the letter.

The House Armed Services Committee this week approved the Fiscal 2008 National Defense Authorization Act, which includes language that would repeal the law adopted last year that expanded the president's control of the Guard. The bill is expected to go before the full House next week.

In his letter, Easley urges governors to contact their federal House members to lobby support for the new defense bill.

The expanded presidential authority, he said, "seriously weakens our ability to respond to disasters in our state. It throws into question our power to command the National Guard."

Only 10 times since World War II has the National Guard been federalized. Most of those events were for civil rights disruptions in the 1950s and 1960s.

http://www.newsobserver.com/114/story/573106.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sounds nice, but I don't trust former prosecutor & pro-illegal guvna
    Easley. He'll use it to remove NG from border patrol & pander to the
    illegal aliens in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by dem4labor
    Sounds nice, but I don't trust former prosecutor & pro-illegal guvna
    Easley. He'll use it to remove NG from border patrol & pander to the
    illegal aliens in NC.
    So right you are dem4labor.

Wonder what he'll do when this term's up? I heard mentioned yesterday that he'd be a "viable" VP candidate.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    I agree that the President's usurpation of Governor's control of the NG should be undone, and we should make the calls and send the faxes in support of this bill.

Easley has done NOTHING I repeat NOTHING to stop illegal immigrations in North Carolina. I will dance in the street the day he is out of office.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He's one of the main reason we have no control over illegal immigration in NC.

Bad governor - BAD!

Banned
    I don't doubt that Easley is a puke, but the fact remains that on this particular issue he is right.

The President has exceeded his authority. Control of the NG MUST be returned to the States.

I say any authority possible be taken away from Jorge!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn