Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

East L.A. parade marks country's battle against Spain

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_4316642

Article Last Updated: 9/10/2006 09:13 PM

Mexican pride
    East L.A. parade marks country's battle against Spain

BY SUSAN ABRAM, Staff Writer
    LA Daily News

To hearty shouts of Viva Mexico!, Mexican Independence Day festivities kicked off Sunday with a parade in East Los Angeles, where thousands gathered in one of the largest celebrations of its kind in the United States.

East Cesar Chevez Avenue overflowed with green, white, and red - the colors of the Mexican flag - as paradegoers donned bandanas, waved banners and threw confetti.

"This parade shows how we like to celebrate in Mexico," said Socorro Perez, who drove in from Fullerton with her two daughters to take part in the festivities.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa led the parade as grand marshal before heading out for scheduled appearances at cultural events that have come to define the city's diversity: the American Lebanese Festival at Griffith Park; a Greek Festival at St. Sophia Cathedral on Normandie; and the start of the annual Chabad telethon later in the evening.

"What I like about the parade is that people from many countries come to see it," Los Angeles resident Erika Ivanez said. "Many people enjoy it."

Billed as the largest Mexican independence celebration outside of Mexico, the parade featured crowd favorites: handsome charros riding atop horseback, pretty young women in folklorico skirts, and hypnotic Aztec dancers stepping in unison to rhythmic beats.

Mexican Independence Day falls on Sept.16. On that day in 1810, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla woke up early and rang the bell of his church in the town of Dolores Hidalgo, shouting: "Viva Mexico! Viva Fernando VII! Muera el mal gobierno!" or "Long live Mexico! Long live Fernando VII! Death to bad government!"

His shout, known as El Grito, spawned the beginning of an 11-year war in which Mexico won independence from Spain. Central American countries followed his example, which is why many Latin American countries celebrate Independence Day this month.

For many paradegoers, the event offered a bit of nostalgia.

"We try to come each year, to see the horses and because our friends are in it," said Julio Velasco of Los Angeles, who attended with his wife, Imelda, and their two children.

"It's kind of good for our kids to see this so that they learn about the traditions," Velasco said.

While politics seeped into the celebration in the form of placards asking to legalize the undocumented and to allow them to apply for driver's licenses, most paradegoers focused on the good weather and the positive community spirit.

For 10-year-old Angie Colon and her sister Yadira, 11, Sunday's parade was the first time they had participated as Aztec dancers with the Danza Huiziloposti group of Ingelwood.

Both were a little nervous.

"I don't want to trip," Angie said from under a crown of green feathers. "And I hope my headdress doesn't fall down."

susan.abram@dailynews.com

(81 713-3664
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Billed as the largest Mexican independence celebration outside of Mexico, the parade featured crowd favorites: handsome charros riding atop horseback, pretty young women in folklorico skirts, and hypnotic Aztec dancers stepping in unison to rhythmic beats.
    Being as Los Angeles is the second largest Mexican city in the world, next to Mexico City, why no observance of their real traditions? Where's the traditional fighting of the cocks? Or the ceremonial tripping of the horses and killing of the bulls? Why no celebration of the customary 19 anchor babies per family? What about the traditional DUI and Hit & Run reenactments?

And by the way, where is ICE? I'm sure they could set up some checkpoints along the parade route, call it a safety check, and ask for ID's and residency documents, and viola, round up all the illegals present. Oh yeah, that's right, Bush would't want to alienate his main consituency...

[b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

Mexico and Mexican's are not part of American culture, so why do we allow them to encroach on America and form their own pathetic holiday's that are divisive and anti-American?

You know, I'm starting to think this way: OK--their connection is obviously with Mexico and Mexican culture and history, NOT American history. I've had it with all of these various celebrations of foreign national hoidays on American soil. So, let's just let them have what they want. Give them freakin' California. BUT....relocate Americans who have their connection to America. Relocate businesses into other states that are still part of the US. There are plenty of states that would love to have the business. THEN, THAT'S IT, FOLKS. You can dance to your Aztec heart's content. You can celebrate all of the Mexican culture you want. BECAUSE, the FREE RIDE IS OVER!! You are now part of Mexico. No more American tax-payer funded welfare programs. No more American tax payer funded free public school educations unless YOU find a way to pay for it all! No more tax money to maintain all of the infrastructure! Good luck, Mayor! Of course, I realize in the rational part of my brain that this is not practical. But, wouldn't it be great to see how they function?

His shout, known as El Grito, spawned the beginning of an 11-year war in which Mexico won independence from Spain.
    The irony? Mexicans have more european blood coursing through their veins (Spain) than Aztec, they speak a european language (spanish), and practice a european religion (catholic).

I'd be with ya on that. Unfortunatly they've invaded way beyond the Atzlan map. From the signs in recent protests.....it's THEIR CONTINENT now Their greed is as bad as the business people who support this. Nothing is ever enough. Nothing will ever be enough.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Death to bad government!"
    I suppose they've gotten over the bad government thing? They seem to like ours.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    I'd be with ya on that. Unfortunatly they've invaded way beyond the Atzlan map. From the signs in recent protests.....it's THEIR CONTINENT now Their greed is as bad as the business people who support this. Nothing is ever enough. Nothing will ever be enough.
    It makes me wonder if they managed to remake the US into another failed country like Mexico, if they will then move onto Canada and tell the Canadians that they need to move aside too! Where will it end with these people?

It makes me wonder if they managed to remake the US into another failed country like Mexico, if they will then move onto Canada and tell the Canadians that they need to move aside too! Where will it end with these people?
    I'm sure the initial phase is under way......it is afterall a huge part of the continent with untapped oil reserves, lots of land and who knows what else. Clean water, forests.............and nice people. Another easy target.

Just don't think the French Canadians will tolerate "must speak Spanish"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)