Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Economy Tests Advocate ( Gutierrez ) for Immigrants

Economy Tests Advocate for Immigrants Article
    Comments (4)
    By MIRIAM JORDAN

This was supposed to be a golden moment for Rep. Luis Gutierrez, a longtime champion of revamping U.S. immigration laws. The new administration had pledged during the election campaign to overhaul the get-tough policy pushed by Republicans.

Instead, rising unemployment and fears of economic dislocation have put immigration off limits for President Barack Obama. Mr. Gutierrez, a Democrat from the president's hometown of Chicago, now finds himself leading a charge against the prevailing political winds.

Luis Gutierrez
    "We understand there is an economic crisis, but we also have an immigration system that is destroying families," he said. In recent weeks, he has appeared at churches in Providence, R.I., Atlanta, Phoenix and elsewhere, showcasing families torn apart by the policy of stepping up arrests of illegal immigrants.

In an interview last month on a popular Spanish radio talk show, El Piolin de la Manana, Mr. Obama explained that he has more-pressing priorities than immigration at the moment.

"It's probably tougher now than it was, partly because of the fact that the economy has gotten worse," Mr. Obama said. "So...I've got to focus on the economy, I've got to focus on housing, and make sure that people feel a little bit more secure." He also said he hoped to convene pro-immigrant groups to discuss legislation "over the next several months."

Mr. Gutierrez is in the midst of a cross-country campaign to promote legislation that would allow millions of undocumented immigrants to gain legal status in the U.S.

At St. George Catholic Church in Ontario, Calif., last Saturday, 18-year-old college student Wilber Vilchis described the December morning when federal agents knocked on the door and took away his mother as she vomited in distress; she was later deported to Mexico. The same evening in San Francisco, nine-year-old Ivan Torres told a full house at St. Anthony's Church that he fears his father, a janitor, will be forced to leave the U.S. "If he is deported, who will pay the bills?" he said.

Mr. Gutierrez, a slight 55-year-old with a penchant for impassioned speeches, has attracted some prominent politicians to the events. After hearing testimonials in San Francisco, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) took the stage to condemn as "un-American" any raids and deportations that break up families. An event at a large evangelical church in suburban Atlanta was attended by Rep. John Lewis (D., Ga.), a veteran of the civil-rights movement.

Though Mr. Gutierrez's 20-city tour is drawing crowds, it isn't clear whether it will have the desired impact. His campaign is also firing up politicians and organizations that want to maintain a tough stance on illegal immigration. "It's a victim parade," said Randy Pullen, treasurer for the Republican National Committee and chairman of the Arizona Republican Party.

Last month, groups that make up the Coalition for the Future American Worker launched a national television advertisement that says, "Congressman Luis Gutierrez is pressuring President Obama to stop worksite enforcement...so employers can keep hiring illegal workers." The 30-second spot also calls on viewers to let the president know they support worksite enforcement, whereby federal agents round up undocumented employees for deportation. The get-tough approach has also resulted in beefed-up border security, including erecting barriers and deploying more agents.

Mr. Gutierrez is trying to widen his support with a new tack. Whereas pro-immigration campaigns have stressed what undocumented workers contributed to the U.S. economy, he is now emphasizing the impact crackdowns have on families.

"To put reform back on President Obama's radar screen, we are galvanizing faith-based communities and telling stories of the devastating effects of the current immigration policy on families," Mr. Gutierrez said. "Most Americans are appalled that a mother would be separated from her children."

Event organizers are gathering signatures that Mr. Gutierrez, who is chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus' immigration task force, plans to deliver to Mr. Obama.

Congress twice declined to pass a comprehensive immigration bill during the Bush administration, amid deep divisions over how to deal with 12 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S.

Mr. Gutierrez, who is of Puerto Rican heritage, has pushed for immigration changes since winning a House seat in 1993 to represent a Chicago district with a large Mexican population. Recounting several exchanges with the president, Mr. Gutierrez said, "We understand that the president has a lot of advisers, none who are telling him to deal with this issue. We have to counterbalance."

Write to Miriam Jordan at miriam.jordan@wsj.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1236989 ... ss_US_News
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Mr. Gutierrez, a slight 55-year-old with a penchant for impassioned speeches, has attracted some prominent politicians to the events. After hearing testimonials in San Francisco, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) took the stage to condemn as "un-American" any raids and deportations that break up families.
    Both of these people need to be sent packing.Get them out of here.
    We understand there is an economic crisis, but we also have an immigration system that is destroying families,"
    It is the same ole cliche out of the mouths of these hipocrites! And I would gamble ,to say, they are not looking after the welfare of ILLEGAL ALIENS. BUT looking out for their own agendas as they would go down in some future history book. LaRaza is the same way! LaRaza does not represent the whole of the Hispanic communities.

Let us turn them OFF and get down to real business with our country!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

"We understand there is an economic crisis, but we also have an immigration system that is destroying families," he said. In recent weeks, he has appeared at churches in Providence, R.I., Atlanta, Phoenix and elsewhere, showcasing families torn apart by the policy of stepping up arrests of illegal immigrants.
    This was I believe the winning argument during the 1986 Ronald Reagan One and Only Amnesty charge. What started as amnesty for a little over 1 million has mushroomed into ten times as many. IMMIGRANT FAMILIES ARE ALWAYS TORN APART. And the more they bring the bigger the divide and the need for even more. This argument about families being torn apart is nothing but a FRAUD.

[img]Luis Gutierrez
    "We understand there is an economic crisis, but we also have an immigration system that is destroying families," he said. [/img]

And to put it in card terms, I believe the economy, that is destroying millions of American families, trumps families of illegal aliens. What gall this man has...

[img]Though%20Mr.%20Gutierrez's%2020-city%20tour%20is%20drawing%20crowds,%20it%20isn't% 20clear%20whether%20it%20will%20have%20the%20desir ed%20impact.[/img]

Events like this do back-fire with the American public. Keep it up Luis.

[img]"Most%20Americans%20are%20appalled%20that%20a%20mo ther%20would%20be%20separated%20from%20her%20child ren."[/img]

No. I believe we are savvy enough to understand that the children can just go with the parents. Remember how appalled we were when at first Elvira was going to leave her son with the dreadful Emma Lozano and Slim Coleman? Then I think she woke up and took her son with her. My heart says she was going to leave him to make a political statment...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)