Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Editorial : Illegal aliens are illegal and alien

By THE WASHINGTON TIMES Wed, Dec 29th Watering down the language doesn't change the facts.
    Are "illegal aliens" simply misunderstood "undocumented immigrants?" The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Diversity Committee believes so, and it's engaged in a campaign to "inform and sensitize journalists as to the best language to use when writing and reporting" on the issue. That may sound nice, but there is nothing insensitive about calling a crime a crime.

Leo E. Laurence of the SPJ diversity committee contends that, "Frequent use of the phrases 'illegal immigrant' and 'illegal alien' by our mainstream media is being questioned in order to remain faithful to the principles of our U.S. Constitution." The issue, however, is more political than constitutional. SPJ asserts that because under the Constitution someone is innocent until proven guilty, the use of the word "illegal" is prejudicial. "Simply put," writes Mr. Laurence, "only a judge, not a journalist, can say that someone is an illegal."

Mr. Laurence is confusing several points. First, there is a difference between the use of the word "illegal" as applied to an individual and as applied to the general issue of illegal immigration. A person arrested for stealing may be referred to as an alleged thief, but those who are collectively committing burglaries are rightly referred to as thieves. As well the Constitution applies to the behavior of government, not individuals. Journalists don't face the same constitutional restrictions as the government and don't have to observe the same formalities. If the logic of fealty to constitutional restrictions were applied generally to the journalistic profession, it would mean the end of reporting as we know it.

The expression "illegal alien" became common parlance in the 1970s. At the time, it was the successor to descriptive terms such as "undesirable alien" that were popularized in the 1920s. The legal definition of "alien" is "any person not a citizen or national of the United States;" that shouldn't be controversial, unless someone is afraid foreigners are being unfairly confused with Martians. The word "illegal" accurately describes the issue at the center of the controversy. A legal alien or immigrant is someone who has gone through the legal process for entry to the United States; an illegal alien or immigrant is someone who has not. This definition is enshrined in law -for example the "Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996" - and in terminology used by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Mr. Laurence maintains that the "preferred phrase" is "undocumented immigrant." But preferred by whom? Certainly, wiggle words are preferred by activist groups, such as the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, which opposes the use of the term "illegal immigrant." In such matters, though, it doesn't make sense to take guidance from activists because they have a conflict of interest, particularly those who are most vigorous in defending those involved in the illicit activity in question. Everyone who commits a crime would prefer to have it rebranded in a way that takes the emphasis off the illicit or immoral natures of their actions.

The term "illegal alien" is highly specific and accurately describes the problem, unlike "undocumented immigrant," which purposefully removes a stigma that should rightly remain.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... and-alien/

"Your Avatar is a big head legal Alien!"

http://video.foxnews.com/#/v/4477656/wo ... t_id=86856
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    "Your Avatar is a big head legal Alien!" Yep

Banned
    JA MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Banned
    "preferred by who"

Yes indeed , The open borders reconquista mob is going to try to water down the invasion in any way they can.

Illegal alien has been the correct term used by our govt for years referring to foreign nationals that do not have status or legal presents in this country.

No matter how you package it , it still stinks

"Your Avatar is a big head legal Alien!"

Stevetheroofer, YOU ARE JUST TOO MUCH LOL WHAT IN THE SAM HILL ARE WE SUPPOSE TO CALL THEM I CALLS EM AS I SEE'S EM. THEY ARE ILLEGAL ALIENS OR EITHER ILLEGAL ALIENS. THATS MY CALL AND I'M STICKING WITH IT.

Thanks LadyStClaire I love messin' with TS' ugly little big head legal Alien
    cause my Avatar is a Handsome Roofer
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Good article. Its solid and rock hard in its arguement. Theres seriously no reasonable arguement for changing the term. Its point on and legally correct terminology... least for anyone who understands and knows the english language.

I do have to apologize to all my martian friends who are looking bad with the term alien because of the whacked political agenda of illegals. We love martians.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thanks LadyStClaire I love messin' with TS' ugly little big head legal Alien
    cause my Avatar is a Handsome Roofer
    THERE YOU GO, AND RIGHT ON I'M GOING TO CALL THESE PEOPLE EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE "ILLEGAL ALIENS" PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF WALKING ON COTTON AND SUGAR COATING THINGS FOR ILLEGAL CRIMINALS. THEY STOLE THEIR WAY INTO THE COUNTRY, THEY ARE STEALING JOBS THAT THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO HAVE, AND THEY STOLE THE 14Th AMENDMENT BY COMING HERE ON PURPOSE TO DROP WHAT IS KNOWN IN MEXICO AS A JACKPOT BA THEY ARE ILLEGAL ALIEN THEVIES AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast