Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

El Paso Women Perform Hunger Strike In D.C.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/25639602/detail.html

El Paso Women Perform Hunger Strike In D.C.
    Danielle Chavira/KFOX Weekend Assignments Editor & Associate Producer

Posted: 6:29 pm MDT November 4, 2010Updated: 8:22 pm MDT November 4, 2010
    EL PASO, Texas -- Ten women will launch a hunger strike in front of the White House on Nov. 8 in an effort to bring awareness and change for women and families affected by the violence, poverty and unemployment in Juarez and El Paso.

The women, who are part of La Mujer Obrera, want federal decision-makers to focus on long-term and immediate resolutions to help develop the nation's poorest region. La Mujer Obrera is one of many organizations along the border committed to long-term development.

The women are upset because their livelihoods, communities and futures are not seen as important issues, but rather "necessary casualities."

The women say national and international governments are focusing on short-sighted security solutions while border women are trying to create their own initiatives despite their own personal tragedies with border violence.

Although jobs in construction and border security have been produced, the communities still struggle with more than a 10 percent unemployment rate for women.

Through a day care, restaurant, festival marketplace and a network of artisan women in Mexico, the women are creating genuine border security.

La Mujer Obrera is one of many organizations of low-income women on the border who want to create jobs, change lives, and work to break the cycles of poverty and abuse and restore pride and dignity in their neighborhoods.

For these reasons La Mujer Obrera in conjunction with women workers' development organizations on the border seeks an immediate investment to: -Convene a national summit to identify public-private initiatives in support of a Border Development Commission and border women's efforts to restore their communities from the damaging effects of international trade policies, global economic restructuring and the current "war on drugs" raging on the border. -Provide economic sustainability for women and their organizations.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First issue I have with this is who is the dumb ass who wrote the headline?
    How does one "perform" a hunger strike?
    The rest of it is grotesque. More Mexicans demanding more from the US.
    If they starve to death....I won't care at all.

Perhaps they'd like to have a hunger strike in Mexico City?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Performing" a hunger strike in Mexico accomplishes nothing in their eyes because Mexico has nothing to offer them and they know what SUCKERS there are in the US that'll even give them the time of day about what they want in a country not their own.

I wonder how many meals they will miss during their performance? We can't let them starve to death omg!!!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

The WIC wagon will probably drive up to save them.

On another subject while I'm thinking about it....
    My husband and I were at the doctor's office the other day. One that pretty much caters to Mexicans. There was a display with brochures for something you could apply for to get help with medical expenses so we wanted to check it out to see if we could sign up. First thing we read spelled out a big NO.
    The maximum income to qualify was $25,000 a year for two people. What a joke.

I wanted to post when I saw this this morning but they won't let posts......go figure since ElPaso is now the new Juarez!

Quote Originally Posted by dgremark
    I wanted to post when I saw this this morning but they won't let posts......go figure since ElPaso is now the new Juarez!
    More mexicans
    demanding more from us .if they stave to death I don't care at all
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)