Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Elvira Arellano Protests From Mexico

Elvira Arellano Protests From Mexico

NAM, News Feature, Roberto Lovato, Peter Micek, Posted: Aug 21, 2007

Editor's Note: Elvira Arellano was a symbol for many undocumented immigrants. She sought shelter in a church and lived there for a year until she left with her son for LA where she was arrested and deported. This is NAM's exclusive interview with her.

Why do you think you were arrested and deported now?
    They always had plans to deport me because I speak out. They saw me as a threat to the United States because of the actions I took in favor of legalization. I knew this. They need to send a message to the undocumented.

What message is that?
    Message the government is sending them is "Shut up, stop struggling" and that's the worst thing that they (the undocumented) can do because it will not unite families, it will not protect them from further exploitation, it will not stop the raids. My arrest was about creating intimidation and fear. I don't regret speaking out. It was necessary.

I think that this will create some fear, but it will also motivate many thousands to keep resisting the injustices our community is experiencing.

The undocumented must keep struggling, especially for laws that protect families and keep them together.

I will keep fighting from here. I knew the possibility of beingdeported but I needed to struggle and I will keep struggling to protect divided families like mine. I want the people and the government of the United States to see what they are doing to families. There are millions of families who are separated, millions who don't speak out for their rights and are being exploited.

What effect is this having on your son, Saul?
    It's very difficult for him. He still can't believe that I won't return to be with him in the United States. Yesterday was verydifficult for him. He had to watch as they arrested me and that scared him a lot. I tried to calm him. It hurt me to see my son watch. I hurt me deeply (sobbing). Yesterday was difficult for me and the evening was more difficult because he wasn't with me.

Where is he now?
    He's on his way to Los Angeles right now to attend a protest. He has a very difficult choice. He wants to be in his country (the US), but he also wants to be with me. I'm giving him the space to think and decide what he wants. He loves me and I think that in a few days he will probably decide to be with his mother.

I'm not obligating him to stay with me in Mexico. I'm giving him time to think about what he wants to do. If he wants to keep struggling for me that's his choice. I'm not going to oblige him to come to Mexico. He's always been a part of the struggle.

I'm not obligating him to do anything. I'm not that kind of mother. He is speaking out because he wants to be with his mother.

What are your plans?
    I'm a little confused right now because of what just happened. I'm going to take time to get clear. I will go and be with my parents, siblings and nieces and nephews in Michoacan. I haven't seen them in 10 years.

I've been talking with lots of people here in Mexico and in the US and their support has been outstanding. I will be here for a mobilization and actions planned for September 12th. People in many cities – Los Angeles, Chicago and others – are planning events. We are not going to stop struggling and I will continue to do my part from here.

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_art ... b26998341e

Message the government is sending them is "Shut up, stop struggling" and that's the worst thing that they (the undocumented) can do because it will not unite families, it will not protect them from further exploitation, it will not stop the raids. My arrest was about creating intimidation and fear. I don't regret speaking out. It was necessary.
    If you don't want to be exploited, then don't come here illegally.

If you don't want your families separated, then don't come here illegally and give birth to anchor babies.

If you don't want the raids, then don't come here illegally.

If you don't want to be arrested, then don't come here illegally.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Does she ever stop and think that she should be focusing her indignation on her home country? She must really hate where she came from. She SHOULD focus her energy and protest Mexico's broken system and corruption, instead of taking the easy way out and sneak into the U.S.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As long as she's not in this country, she can protest all she wants! Like others have asked, why isn't this idiot protesting against the mejican government??

Elvira is taking a holiday from parenting, seems to me.

Chertoff needs to do a media blitz especially spanish media.The message must be "Don't blame the US for your crimes and tell them they are ordered to leave the country if they are here Illegally and if they don't they will be arrested and deported,No More Excuses" !!
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

This woman needs to get a grip on reality!!!

If they wanted to have these people shut up and stop struggling, as she claims, ICE would be raiding their protests and rallies left and right and dragging illegals out of here by the thousands one event at a time.

THAT would be sending a message!!!

Arresting and deporting one no account, self important, publicity seeking, unfit mother of a criminal fugitive alien? Not so much.

Does anyone else find it odd that she steps off the Deportation Plane and right into her own little Acitivisim Central all ready and waiting for her ? But nooooooo........the Mexican Govt. isn't assisting these people in any way, shape, or form, are they?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

She's nothing less than a stalker at this point. Can we get a restraining order placed against her? Something like, come no closer to America than 300 miles.

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cribster
    She's nothing less than a stalker at this point. Can we get a restraining order placed against her? Something like, come no closer to America than 300 miles.
    She should have been deported deeper into Mexico maybe Veracruz or Mexico City!
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul