Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

April
    Aug 19, 9:48 PM EDT

Immigration activist arrested in L.A.

By PETER PRENGAMAN

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- An illegal immigrant who stayed in a Chicago church for a year to avoid separation from her 8-year-old son, a U.S. citizen, was arrested Sunday and being processed for deportation.

Elvira Arellano, who arrived in Los Angeles on Saturday after leaving her sanctuary to campaign for immigration reform, was arrested before 3 p.m. outside Our Lady Queen of Angels Catholic Church where she had been speaking to reporters, said the Rev. Walter Coleman, pastor of Adalberto United Methodist Church in Chicago where she sought sanctuary.

Arellano was "being processed for removal to Mexico based upon a deportation order originally issued by a federal immigration judge in 1997," U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said in a news release.

Immigration activists promised protests and vigils to support her.

"We are sad, but at the same time we are angry," said Javier Rodriguez, a Chicago immigration activist who worked with her. "How dare they arrest this woman?"

Anti-illegal immigrant groups said the arrest was long overdue.

"Just because the woman has gone public and made an issue of the fact that she is defying law doesn't mean the government doesn't have to do its job," said Ira Mehlman of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, which favors limits on immigration.

Arellano, 32, has become a symbol of the struggles of illegal immigrant parents and a source of controversy. She had said Saturday she was not afraid of being taken into custody by immigration agents.

"From the time I took sanctuary the possibility has existed that they arrest me in the place and time they want," she said in Spanish. "I only have two choices. I either go to my country, Mexico, or stay and keep fighting. I decided to stay and fight."

Arellano came to Washington state illegally in 1997. She was deported to Mexico shortly after, but returned and moved to Illinois in 2000, taking a job cleaning planes at O'Hare International Airport.

She was arrested in 2002 at O'Hare and convicted of working under a false Social Security number. She was to surrender to authorities last August.

She sought refuge at the storefront church on Chicago's West Side Aug. 15, 2006. She had not left the church property until deciding to be driven to Los Angeles, Coleman said.

As news of her arrest spread Sunday, members of the Chicago church began arriving to pray.

"People will be sad about what happened to Elvira," said Catherine Archibald, a member of the congregation and a friend of Elvira's. "But I think it is very important now that we mobilize and push even harder."---

Associated Press writers Michael Tarm in Chicago and Raquel Maria Dillon in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
    I guess we have not been loud enought with yells of joy!!!! NO SADNESS HERE and go ahead and PUSH we will be there with the SHOVE!!!

your late.
    we already have three other posts on this in news
    and two in general.

Thanks ICE!

A bit late for my liking, but overall, it's good to see the Feds doing they're jobs...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Okay...there are way too many of these Elvira threads.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Here is Video from LA on this. I am betting on some riots down there tonight.

http://kutv.com/topstories/topstories_s ... 93239.html

Right hand side of the page.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

April
    I copied and pasted this from Adrian's link and commented because it is a pro illegal view of the story and I just had to COMMENT on the PUSH statement!

April
    Thanks for the video Paige. I cannot believe the reporter called Elvira a very renouned immigration acitivist. What a load of donkey doo!!!