Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Environmental role urged for Latinos

http://www.pe.com

Environmental role urged for Latinos

SUMMIT: Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez puts global warming into a public health context.

12:41 AM PDT on Saturday, September 9, 2006

By JENNIFER BOWLES
    The Press-Enterprise

The man behind California's recently passed landmark bill to curb global warming said Friday that he hopes Latino voters will take an active role in the issue and help put it on the national agenda for the next presidential election.

"Climate change is a reality, and it puts in danger our sustainability," said Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez, D-Los Angeles.

"It should be of special importance to Latinos because Latinos for the most part live in the inner cities and are exposed to many carbon-based gases (from industries), which not only impact the environment but public health."

Nuñez made his remarks to reporters after addressing the National Latino Congreso, billed as the first major summit of Latino leaders and community members in nearly 30 years.

The four-day event in downtown Los Angeles devoted Friday to examining environmental issues, with much of the talk focusing on global warming and praise for Nuñez's role in leading the charge.

"It's great to have such a strong leader and one who can speak about the issue in both English and Spanish," said Irma Munoz, president of Mujeres de la Tierra, an environmental group that is taking part in a revitalization of the Los Angeles River, among other projects.

Nuñez and Assemblywoman Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills, co-authored the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, which would limit emissions of heat-trapping gases from power plants, refineries and other sources.

Known as AB32, it was passed by the Legislature last week and awaits Gov. Schwarzenegger's signature.

The governor announced his support for the bill after reaching an agreement with the Democrats on key points of contention.

Nuñez said after his address that he was always an activist and had a good voting record on environmental issues but had never taken a strong leadership role on an environmental issue before.

"But when I learned more and more about global warming, I came to the conclusion that we've got to do something to stop it," he said.

"I take a look at my own children and think that if we don't do something significant, ultimately, we're going to run ourselves down."

He said he hopes other states and countries follow California's lead.

"These heat-trapping gases really are going to destroy this world. They're going to destroy this planet. It's no joke."

Reach Jennifer Bowles at 951-368-9548 or jbowles@PE.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"These heat-trapping gases really are going to destroy this world. They're going to destroy this planet. It's no joke."
    I don't know about that.

I think people having 8 to 10 kids they can't support might do it first.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

America is dealing with a foreign invasion and the Latino Congress is concerned with "air quality"?

La La La La La La La Land.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California or ground zero of the invasion
    I believe Nunez is on to something here. Let's deport all the illegals. That should make a big dent in the green house gas problem. The quality of life would improve with a lot less cars on the road. Cleaner air by deportation.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ALC
    This is just pandering to try and get the environmentalists on the side of the illegal immigrants. Nunez knows that many in the environmental movement will desert the left over the destructive impact that out of control immigration is having on the natural resources of the U.S. Just look at the rebellion in the Sierra Club over this issue. I don't think anyone will buy it.

1/2 these people probably don't even know the word environment.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    1/2 these people probably don't even know the word environment.
    I think they do.

They know the environment is that thing they trash on their way to breaking into the country. You can see how concerned they are about it by looking at pictures of the areas they pass through.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Yes Brian...the number one environmental issue in the US today is OVERPOPULATION.

Start deportations immediately so we can reduce population and consumption that contributes to green house gases and poor "air quality".

Besides, I'm sick and tired of listening to all this whining illegal alien "hot air"....how about y'all?

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Not to mention environmental "noise" pollution.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A month ago there was an article, where some scientists climbed a mountain in California, took air samples and determined the pollution was from China!!!

Yep, all the way from China, and they said it would get worse for Ca. in the coming years.

Yep, the Chinese will choke off Ca., after they have taken all our manufacturing jobs!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast