Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Escondido, CA: Hard-Line Policies Prompt Immigration Meeting

Comments are being left at the source link.
    ~~

Hard-Line Policies Prompt Immigration Meetings

POSTED: 9:54 am PDT May 21, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:03 am PDT May 21, 2008

SAN DIEGO -- The Escondido chief of kicked off a series of town hall meetings with community members, addressing immigration policies and other issues.

Escondido has made national headlines because of its controversial policies on illegal immigrants. The first meeting in the series was held at a community center in East Escondido on Tuesday night.

"I know there's a lot of misinformation, because I can say repeatedly, 'If you're a victim or a witness, we don't care about your [immigration] status, we're here to protect you,' " Maher told the crowd. "So what we're trying to do is explain in a very black-and-white way that if you don't commit a crime, we truly do not care about your immigration status. If you commit a crime, that rule doesn't apply. I'll do anything I can to get you out of Escondido."

"There are too many people driving in Escondido who have no right to be," longtime Escondido resident Carline Hancock said. "They have no license, they have no insurance, they have no car registration, and, quite frankly, a lot of them don't know how to drive, and they're a danger to us."

"I hear a lot of complaints from people who do not like the checkpoints, and they do feel like it is targeting people who are undocumented," Consuelo Martinez, who is with the Escondido Human Rights Committee, said.

Maher also talked about a new way of policing that is based on geography. He said he believes it is helping to cut down on crime in Escondido.

Community members also asked about graffiti, policing foreclosed homes and intersections that are dangerous for pedestrians.

Maher joked that the city staff he brought with him almost outnumbered the number of citizens who showed up, but he chalked that up to the fact that people in Escondido appear to be satisfied with the job his department is doing. One man who attended the meeting told NBC 7/39 that he agreed.

www.nbcsandiego.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thats so nice! Wish they would do that here. Oh, that's right they did! It worked out so well the illegals complained so much,a city council member had to step in and stop it. I feel like I'm in Mexico. The ones that live by me throw their trash on everyones lawn, use the neighbor's lawn as a toilet. The music is up so loud they think I want to hear it. Someone in the house gets the cars registered and everyone drives it, license no problem, insurance also no problem just be careful and the police will be nice to you. Move! I am stuck here for now. They take over the black neighborhoods by sheer numbers and expand. Now it looks like I am in Mexico, I have to read in spanish (where am I)? I have lost my government.
    Thanks for being their ALIPAC. I am proud to be apart of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Home
    Thats so nice! Wish they would do that here. Oh, that's right they did! It worked out so well the illegals complained so much,a city council member had to step in and stop it. I feel like I'm in Mexico. The ones that live by me throw their trash on everyones lawn, use the neighbor's lawn as a toilet. The music is up so loud they think I want to hear it. Someone in the house gets the cars registered and everyone drives it, license no problem, insurance also no problem just be careful and the police will be nice to you. Move! I am stuck here for now. They take over the black neighborhoods by sheer numbers and expand. Now it looks like I am in Mexico, I have to read in spanish (where am I)? I have lost my government.
    Thanks for being their ALIPAC. I am proud to be apart of this.
    Welcome! We are glad to have you here. Keep your comments coming....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Last modified Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:14 PM PDT

ESCONDIDO: Police chief to host meetings on immigration

By North County Times

Escondido Police Chief Jim Maher is scheduled to conduct a series of town hall meetings addressing the department's policy on immigration.

The department has been criticized in recent months by some members of the city's Latino community over police check points, the department's cooperative efforts with immigration authorities and its efforts to arrest illegal immigrants who have committed crimes and are wanted for deportation.

Members of the audience will have the opportunity to ask questions during the meetings.

The meetings are scheduled for: 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Escondido Public Library, 239 S. Kalmia Street; 7 to 9 p.m. June 4 at the YMCA, 1050 N. Broadway; and 7 to 9 p.m. June 17 at the Escondido Church of Nazarene, 1555 S. Redwood.

www.nctimes.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn