Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ESCONDIDO CA, POLICE CHIEF BACKS DOWN

Escondido police chief against immigration officers at checkpoints

Escondido Police Chief Jim Maher gives the Escondido City Council his recommendations.

By: PAUL EAKINS - Staff Writer

ESCONDIDO ---- Having federal immigration officers work with police at traffic checkpoints would be "risky" and "unnecessary," police Chief Jim Maher told the Escondido City Council on Wednesday.

Councilman Sam Abed had said he wanted such a collaboration, but he and other council members were swayed by Maher's recommendations and his explanation of a new Police Department policy.

The new policy has officers working more with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and doing background checks on suspects for a broader range of misdemeanor violations, which means that more illegal immigrants who commit crimes in Escondido likely will be deported, Maher said.

"I think the standard of identification needs to be raised," said Maher, who became police chief in July.

The afternoon meeting at City Hall was attended by about 60 residents, several police officers, and members of multiple broadcast and print media. The media attention has become common at council meetings in recent months as the council has attempted to take on illegal immigration, first through a controversial rental ordinance last year and then with an anti-illegal immigration resolution in January.

The chief told the council that since the early 1990s, the Police Department has had a full-time immigration officer at its station to do status checks on suspects charged with felonies or serious misdemeanors requiring them to be sent to jail. That has resulted in 10 to 15 deportations of illegal immigrants per month, Maher said.

But for other misdemeanors, such as minor traffic violations, people usually were cited and released, he said.

Under the new policy, the police work more with the resident immigration officer to do background checks for lesser misdemeanors.

Now, unlicensed drivers' backgrounds, and their immigration status when necessary, are checked, he said. Before, unlicensed drivers were cited and their vehicles impounded, then they were free to go.

Legally, police can hold people for up to two hours under such circumstances to identify them, he said.

Maher said that having immigration officers at checkpoints would hurt the Police Department's relationship with parts of the community, making solving crimes more difficult.

"You have a shooting on a Friday, and by Sunday everyone in the neighborhood knows what happened and who did it, except the police," he said.

He also said that training the city's officers to handle immigration matters under a federal policy called 287(g), an idea floated by some council members Wednesday, would drain police resources.

Maher didn't say when the new policy was put in place, and he declined to comment further after the meeting despite requests from several TV and newspaper reporters.

Four people spoke to the council about Abed's idea, with three opposed to it and one in favor.

Council members said they were happy to see the work the Police Department is doing and didn't see a need for changes to the new policy.

However, Mayor Lori Holt Pfeiler argued with Abed over crime statistics he mentioned during the meeting, saying she questioned the statistical accuracy, and that Abed was contributing to a negative perception of the city while six TV cameras looked on.

"Immigration is an issue for this country, but it doesn't necessarily have to be 'the' issue for Escondido," Pfeiler said.

In other business, the council approved a stricter ordinance for adult businesses such as strip clubs, but with the caveat that the issue be returned to the council. Council members said they wanted city staff members to find an alternate site for one of seven centers designated as areas where such businesses can locate.

The ordinance was approved 4-1, with Councilman Ed Gallo opposed.

Several people told the council they don't want the designated areas to be near their homes or nearby schools and businesses. The city is required by law to allow adult businesses to operate, but it may restrict the businesses to designated locations.

-- Contact staff writer Paul Eakins at (760) 740-5420 or peakins@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/03 ... 3_7_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Puzzled wrote on March 08, 2007 1:33 AM:"I'm all for enforcing the immigration laws in this country, but what's the benefit of deporting illegal aliens caught during "driver's license checkpoints"? To deter illegal aliens from living in Escondido, just fine them $1000 to pay for the police time and ICE collaboration costs for not having a driver's license."

Escondodo wrote on March 08, 2007 2:42 AM:"If the mayor doesn't think that illegal immigration is a huge issue in Escondido, I have some ocean-front property in Arizona to sell her. Does she really believe that businesses and families looking to relocate won't do any research beforehand? Maybe she should crawl under the rug with the problem that she wants to sweep under it."

El Guero wrote on March 08, 2007 6:07 AM:"To Chief Maher's objection to having federal immigration officers work with police at traffic checkpoints: How could having additional law enforcement officers participating in a law enforcement operation be considered 'risky'? Oh, yeah. 'Having immigration officers at checkpoints would hurt the Police Department's relationship with parts of the community, making solving crimes more difficult. You have a shooting on a Friday, and by Sunday everyone in the neighborhood knows what happened and who did it, except the police.' But enforcing immigration laws at Police checkpoints won't hurt the 'relationship' because there is no relationship. Illegals won't cooperate with law enforcement anyway because where they come from almost all cops are corrupt and to be avoided. The scenario that should appeal to Chief Maher is that there are no witnesses to the shooting on Friday. No witnesses, no assailant, no victim, because with no more illegal immigrants in Escondido, there is no shooting."

Pete wrote on March 08, 2007 6:48 AM:"As always, the police chief and the mayor continue to worry too much about being "politically correct.""

Syl
    wrote on March 08, 2007 7:01 AM:"The easier it is for Illegal Aliens to be established in Escondido, the harder it will be to remove them and the longer they will stay. The police chief has just made it a little easier for the Illegals to saty. No matter what the Police Department does, the Illegals will never trust them. remember they are from other countries where the Police could not be trusred."

Disgusted wrote on March 08, 2007 7:08 AM:"Do I understand this correctly? Rather than offend the illegal Hispanic community and arrest them for harboring a fugitive we want to keep them happy by not having an ICE officer at the checkpoints so they might identify felony suspects in their community? As for the Police Dept not having enough money for the enforcement-they should according to my property tax bill! This is just more nonsense. By the way thank you city council for pushing the Hispanic gang members into my neighborhood>"

Ray wrote on March 08, 2007 7:34 AM:"That is not his job people, That is federal jurisdiction his job is "To serve and Protect" "

IMVet wrote on March 08, 2007 7:37 AM:"Once again, what the American public wants and demands is being ignored. 80% of Americans want Illegal Immigration stopped!"

To the Mayor wrote on March 08, 2007 7:37 AM:"According to Ms. Pfeiler, illegal immigration isn't "the" issue in Escondido. To my family it is. My kids do not go to our neighborhood school because 90% of the kids on the playground are speaking Spanish. The signs in front of the school are in Spanish, and most of the kids are termed "English Learners". This means that my kids are denied an education (at least at that particular school) because they're waiting for the majority of the class to become proficient in English."

Robert24 wrote on March 08, 2007 7:40 AM:""The chief told the council that since the early 1990s, the Police Department has had a full-time immigration officer at its station to do status checks on suspects charged with felonies or serious misdemeanors requiring them to be sent to jail. That has resulted in 10 to 15 deportations of illegal immigrants per month, Maher said". Awesome!! 10 to 15 deportations per month, 40,000+ illegals living in Escondido! Hmmm, at this rate (10 to 15 per month), we should have the city cleaned up by........Never!! Must be "new math"."

Policy, Policy, who has the stupid policy? wrote on March 08, 2007 7:50 AM:" I'm sure that having federal immigration officers at check points would have an impact on the community - a very positive impact. If done right it would rid Escondido of a lot of law breakers. What does a federal officer do when he arrests a criminal who is guilty of a local crime - a misdemeanor? Does he turn them lose and leave it up to the local cops to catch him/her again? The illegal criminals must be rolling on the ground laughing at the stupid gringo. I do some times - but most of the time I get this thing that wells up in my throat when I think of living in an area where the local police have a criminal in hand that is guilty of a felony and releases them expecting the Feds to catch him again. If I'm not mistaken all federal crimes are felonies. It is such policies as that, and the policy of releasing felons on tickets, that doubles and triples the overall work of our law enforcement, requires increases in taxes,and increases the danger to the VOTING PUBLIC and them other people or things that do not vote. "

Danny wrote on March 08, 2007 7:52 AM:"I hope we can work together as a community and don't let politicians to divide this city more, is time to get the real facts ;if yu want to know more about immigratio just check this report: thanks to the leadership of Chief Maher! "

I don't understand wrote on March 08, 2007 7:59 AM:"if you are going to check the background and status of drivers without licenses, wouldn't it make more sense to have a border patrol agent there who can then take them into custody immediately, rather than cost the City time and money to take them in id them transport them to Vista and then wait for the Border Parol to come and get them. I don't want my tax dollars being wasted on a dumb idea as the one the Police Cheif has!"

Ed Weirdness wrote on March 08, 2007 8:07 AM:"The people of Escondido are in the unenviable position of having a Mayor and Chief of police who seemingly prefer to "choose" which laws are enforced. It's unfortunate when elected or appointed officials and bureaucrats allow their self interests or those of the business community to usurp the will of the people. Fortunately a solution to this only as far as the next election. As for negative impact of community relations, I'm nor certain that I would want police policy to reflect deference to any segment of the population where their cooperation with local authorities is dependent on said authorities ignoring violations of immigration laws. Indded, the view that some "illegal activity" must be allowed in order to insure that "informants" are available, or for that matter, that any law isn't important enough to enforce, seems curiously out of touch with the entire mission of law enforcement. I would remind the "Chief" that as such, his continuation in that position is voluntary. If he runs afoul of prudent law enforcement practices that he finds repugnant, he should resign, rather than attempt to craft enforcement policies he "thinks worthy of enforcement". Certainly it would only require the commission of one horrendously violent crime at the hands of an illegal immigrant to test his vision of "selective enforcement". An illegal immigrant that he might otherwise have apprehended if he'd chosen to be a "full service law enforcement agency". The concept of burdensome fines rather than deporting illegals apprehended at drivers license check points ignores the fact that the only control we now exercise over illegals is during custody. Writing a ticket to someone who is willing to violate our immigration laws, willing to commit numerous frauds or identity theft in order to remain here illegally, would be a moot point. What are the chances they'll go home and write a check? They'll simply move their border crossing antics to another location, and sooner or later they'll find a place to cross. Immigration reforms, as with all successful law enforcement, should have the same objective. That objective, to make it uncomfortable and untenable for law breakers to remain in our midst. It's laughable when I see a (ostensibly) professional officer of the law state that "enforcement" of our laws makes a segment of the community "uncomfortable". Arguably, thats the whole point of enforcing any law, to make those who break our laws, or those who condone the continued presence of law breakers in our community, change their minds and do the right thing. I doubt that it makes good social policy to adapt our enforcement strategy to condone "illegal aliens in our communities" on the assumption that they will somehow provide a valuable resource that couldn't more respectfully be obtained through other means. One could hardly expect American citizens to cooperate with police without some commensurate "reward" if that were the case!"

Impound illegals' cars? wrote on March 08, 2007 8:17 AM:"In 2005, State Senator Gil Cedillo (D-Los Angeles, Alta California) introduced SB 591 to specifically exempt illegal aliens from impound laws. This is the same guy who for nearly decade has been on a crusade to grant driver licenses to illegals, and the people in L.A. keep voting him back into office. So if Cedillo eventually gets his way (a governor representing illegal aliens gets elected who won't veto Cedillo's bills) only a legal resident caught driving without a license will have his car impounded. Another double standard."

Concerned-1 wrote on March 08, 2007 8:33 AM:"The best thing about all this is the media can't ignore it any longer. They can still run the drabble from Jillings and La Raza and CSSMU, but the more they print and broadcast, the more the real truth is exposed. Illegal immigration is a huge problem that is eating away at the social infrastructure of Southern California. Let the truth prevail, and hopefully we can find a solution that works socially, economically, and morally."

Tired of Illegals wrote on March 08, 2007 8:41 AM:"Mayor Lori what's her name has her head in the sand over the illegals issue. A "negative perception" of the city IS REAL, and it's because the fools who run the city have no cajones to deal with the issues! Elect me to office, and I will see to it that every illegal alien will be deported on the spot when caught! I could clean up this ghetto in about two weeks, and won't care if someone gets offended - wahh! Hey NCT - you are also a part of the problem, with your racist reporters who spent too much time in sensitivity class! I'll bet you won't print this, either!!! "

Escondido Police Chief wrote on March 08, 2007 8:44 AM:"and Lazy Lori the Mayor better start paying attention to what the VOTERS want in Escondido. The polls in the NCT's alone says it all. We want MORE protection and ILLEGAL immigration is a HUGE problem Lori."

La Guera wrote on March 08, 2007 8:47 AM:"THis is to el Guero, Look 99% of illegal people come here to work the jobs that most of us wont work,and most of the shootings come from gueros like you that talk to much caca about hard working people, it's os easy for you to talk your caca and then you wander why the shootings to people like you. Gueros like you molest inocent children and under age kids,at least illegal immigrats don't go molesting kids like most of you gueras do, and what do you get? your name on the molesters list and free to keep leaving in US, please be more humand no don't just talk your caca, casue when you walk in a resturant to eat your being feed by a hard working illegal person that is earning his living and would be a great person for this place if he was given a green card. People like you make me sick so easy to talk your caca with out thinking."

la_mexican wrote on March 08, 2007 8:56 AM:" illegal immigration is NOT!!! a huge issue. Immigration is all over the world. why just try to fix escondido. the people who do want immigration here in escondido they just dont like mexican people and hey they could hate all they want cause mexican are hard working people and nice. it just that some of those mexicans people go the bad way but thats life. and if this If the mayor doesn't think that illegal immigration issue is not bad hey thanxs mayor i dont think so either.but if it keeps on going the way it going i think its going to get ugly. there is a lot of mexicans here in escondido all all of them support the immigration.!!!!! AND FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HATE US DONT HATE CAUSE WE DONT!!!. AND THAT IS messed UP.!!!"

lilia wrote on March 08, 2007 8:57 AM:"I am in favor of chief's opinion, you are taking about people who have to drive to work every day and need to take their kids to school I have no objection if the person is drunk and is cought drivign or comiting a crime than really bothers me. I have always defend the fact that illigal people should be allow to stay in this country but if the oportunity to change and make your life better is not taken then why should one stay here. "

bryan wrote on March 08, 2007 9:00 AM:"BS, police cheif is worried about the impact to the illegal alien community. What about worrying about the impact of doing nothing to the legal residents. He says he has ONE officer to check legal status of some crimes, come on. One officer to handle all the crimes that happen in this city, your kiggin me. city council caved, Implement 287G now then move on with regular city business, RAISE MY TAXES if needed to cover 287G costs. 287G solves everything. City Council caved to the illegal alien preasure its over, put out the welcome mats for the illegals. City Coucil do something or shut up, your all talk and no action...."

Unsolved Murders wrote on March 08, 2007 9:13 AM:"The Police Chief doesn't not have any unsolved murders in Escondido because on Sunday, the whole neighborhood knows the killer, and tells the police department. What an exaggeration! The Police Chief is against the political will of the City's residents."

Joe wrote on March 08, 2007 9:19 AM:"The police chiefs argument for not supporting the Border Patrol tagging along during checkpoints operations seems bogus.We know crime in Escondido is out of controlby an assortment of non-english speaking gangs. Just follow the graffity, and recent court orders. However, the only time I do see the immigration status released or printed is when it involves perpetrators other than Mexican, black or asian. Let's see some hard facts to support your claim. I doubt the illegals are afraid to come forward because their afraid of the police or immigration officers. I remember thousands coming out last May. I remember hundreds surrounding councilman Abed's gas station. They don't come forward because their afraid of retaliation from the gang bangers terrorizing their community. You need to begin protecting the citizens of Escondido."

Oh I see wrote on March 08, 2007 9:21 AM:"so the reasoning being that the police don't cite drug users because they are afraid that if the drug user gets his drugs stolen he might be afraid to report it to the police. Sounds like Political Craziness to me, but then again all politicans have to be PC. "

Illegal Immigration is THE ISSUE! wrote on March 08, 2007 9:23 AM:"Wake up Mayor! Illegal immigration IS the issue for Mexcondido! Your tax paying constituents with high disposable incomes aren't spending their money here at the CalMex. High end retailers are rushing to locate in our shopping centers. You and the council are attracting concrete plants as major employers. And, the main source of employees are non-tax paying illegal aliens. Our Center for the Arts is a financial fiasco because patrons are afraid to be in the city after dark! Wonder why you don't see more status cars like Mercedes and Lexus tooling around town? We know that there are too many unlicensed, uninsured illegals on Mexcondido's roads. Pfeiler is the only one contributing to the negative image of the city because she panders to illegals instead of the taxpayers! Now, she is taking Maher along for the ride!"

Hey NCT wrote on March 08, 2007 9:24 AM:"looks like by your survey, the majority of tax payers who pay the cheif to protect us, thinks having Border Patrol at check points is a good idea. Maybe time to recall the Cheif and get someone in there who will obey the law and the wishes of the tax payers."

THANKFUL wrote on March 08, 2007 9:30 AM:"The Escondido City Council and Chief Maher are doing a great job and should be commended for creating a innovative and workable policy to find and prosecute unlicensed drivers from our streets. When found without a license, insurance or other form of ID, the city's assigned ICE agent will handle the verification and processing (even for minor infractions). THIS IS AWESOME! And it is perfectly legal. "

Ken wrote on March 08, 2007 9:34 AM:"So, this really does mean that the police want Escondido to be an illegal alien friendly city. I had heard the the city didn't want them immigration officers in the city, this makes me believe that is true. We need all the help we can get. Does the chief think the immigration officers will show that the local police aren't really doing a good job?"

Open Your Eyes Mayor wrote on March 08, 2007 9:39 AM:"Unbelievable. Our Mayor Pfeiler doesn't feel that illegal immigration is "the" issue for Escondido. Well, for the vast majority of us who are seeing Escondido go further down the Tijuana Highway, it IS the issue. And our Mayor sits and watches it happen."

Is Illegal Immigration a Misdemeanor?? wrote on March 08, 2007 9:43 AM:"Chief Maher says, "Under the new policy, the police work more with the resident immigration officer to do background checks for lesser misdemeanors." What lesser misdemeanors?? I hope that includes illegally entering this country! If illegal immigrants are stopped for anything and identified as such, they should be immediately deported. End of story."

Don't Offend the Illegal Immigrants wrote on March 08, 2007 9:48 AM:"The illegal immigrant community doesn't cooperate with the police anyway. They stopped cooperating with police when they broke our laws entering this country. What is our Police Chief thinking? Heaven forbid that we offend the illegal immigrants. We wouldn't want to be called racist! Apparently, we don't want to be called enforcers of the law either!"

quinnie wrote on March 08, 2007 9:56 AM:""with no more illegal immigrants in Escondido, there is no shooting" thanks for the laugh. Do you vote with that grasp of Deductive Reasoning? "

quinnie wrote on March 08, 2007 10:01 AM:"Escondodo... perhaps if you don't like it here you should MOVE to that ocean-front property in Arizona. With the money you save on rent you can take some Reading comprehension classes."

pablo wrote on March 08, 2007 10:01 AM:"Chief Maher's position that Escondido should not have some of its officers cross-trained with ICE under 287(g) is confusing at best. He ignores the fact that his department's failure to apprehend illegal entrants makes Escondido a sanctuary city which has forced normal law-abiding family groups out to be replaced by overcrowded slums teeming with gang members, drug dealers, prostitutes, graffiti vandals, car thieves, sex molesters, unlicensed drivers, unregistered vehicle drivers, uninsured drivers, drunk drivers, etc. He said that cross-training Escondido officers with ICE would drain police resources right after he said that he tripled the officers assigned to gang detail from two to six. I think it stands to reason that those four officers, if cross-trained with ICE under 287(g) before being assigned to the gang injunction area, would be much more beneficial to the city in the long run. Councilman Abed said the training took five weeks and Councilwoman Waldron said the council would support whatever steps the Chief deemed necessary. Further, according to the Chief the police will now pursue misdemeanor traffic violations with ICE but apparently failed to include illegal entry into this country, which is a misdemeanor, as an offense that would be pursued. All of which begs the unasked/unanswered question, if Escondido had officers cross-trained with ICE would those officers then be able to enforce the illegal entry violations? Why do Mayor Pfeiler and Chief Maher resist cross-training some officers with ICE? Don't they realize local police without this training cannot enforce illegal entry law creating a class of lawbreakers, the "Escondido Untouchables?" "

Floyd wrote on March 08, 2007 10:02 AM:"Not only should we not have immigration officers at the checkpoints, we shouldn't have police officers at the checkpoints either. In fact, we shouldn't have the checkpoints! The philosophy behind the checkpoints -- guilty until proven innocent -- isn't the way the law is supposed to work! "

ex-condidan
    wrote on March 08, 2007 10:24 AM:"Chief Oscar Maher needs to cut the bologna . They need to be deporting 10-15 a day. How about showing some guts Maher? Escondido should be welcome to such a program and stop enabling.Wake up Maher!"

Making Excuses-- wrote on March 08, 2007 10:26 AM:"Sounds like Escondido needs to replace Chief Maher and put someone in who can clean up the illegal problem. He does not make sense. Why would it be risky to have additional help from Federal Officers? And, if an illegal only has minor law violations he is usualy allowed to remain and not deported. Check points with immigration officers would hurt the Police Departmens relationhip with the illegal community! Being popular with illegals is not what it is all about, enforcing the law is what the community wants. "

JJ wrote on March 08, 2007 10:42 AM:"Nice Cheif. Your job is to serve and protect. Part of that slogan is to protect me and my family from illegal immigrants driving with no insurance. Yes, you do the checkpoints, but THEY ARE STILL DRIVING. You honestly think they all go to court and pay fines/restitution? NO, they just go out and buy a another car and drive it until they're caught...again. Catch and DEPORT. I pay your salary as a resident. This is a democracy! Your action should reflect the voice of the citizens...not your independant opinion. "

Concerned-1 wrote on March 08, 2007 10:52 AM:"Leave it to Ray, and we'll all moving soon. Thanks Ray, as long as you are politcally correct and you've wrapped yourself in your freedoms, you'll be alright. Now, about that bridge..."

Does anybody wrote on March 08, 2007 11:19 AM:"know, can we do a citizens arrest on the Cheif and Mayor for aiding and abetting Criminal Illegals? And if we can't, how do we go about getting a recall and placing someone in those positions who will obey our laws?"

Change wrote on March 08, 2007 11:21 AM:"Fire the Chief, impeach the Mayor. It is obvious the positions they hold are so far over their heads they haven't a clue. All they have are excuses and plans from the 90's. Nothing creative, same old school get along tactics while the crime goes up, cops get lazy and they continue to get paid. Hookers keep walking Esco Blvd., drugs dealt in the open, illegals with no insurance crash and walk away and all that can be said is " Our resources are drained". By the way Chief, I don't think you should enforce laws that effect legal residents so you can make sure they aren't afraid to work with you. Do you not see how lame your reasoning is? Enough, headed out of Escojuana, exactly what any smart law abiding citizen should do!"

This is Crazy! wrote on March 08, 2007 11:31 AM:"Illegal immigration is "THE" issue here in Escondido. That insane Mayor must not live or shop here or she'd know it."

Say What? wrote on March 08, 2007 11:35 AM:"Just how stupid does this police chief think we are? He wants to protect the sanctity of the relationship his department has with "parts" of the community. Gosh, could he be referring to the part that is law abiding, tax paying citizens (US citizens!) that care for their neighborhoods and want to protect the property of the families around them? Nah, his greater concern is to limit the work load for his department and divert any additional responsibility for enforcement of laws he doesn't feel warrant his attention. With the resulting cut in crime Escondido would see, this guy should turn in his badge rather than continuing to draw a paycheck. from the taxpayers."

Pablo wrote on March 08, 2007 11:35 AM:"Loony Lori sounded unglued, screeching that mid-income people won't come to Escondido if council members talk in front of news reporters about illegal immigrants and crime in the community. Doesn't she realize that Escondido has totally failed under her lack of leadership? Thanks to loony Lori half of Escondido is now one big slum, referred to as Mexcondido and Escon-doodoo? Is she so stupid that she thinks potential law-biding families have not read about the rapidly expanding gang injunction areas in Escondido in the newspapers?"

El Guero wrote on March 08, 2007 11:36 AM:"To La Guera: thank you for your caca, I mean your comments. Now could you repeat them in English?"

WOW
    wrote on March 08, 2007 11:45 AM:"Don't you people see that the ICE agent assigned to Escondido will be given the folks detained at the checkpoints who do not have the drivers license, etc...? This is a great thing. The ICE agent will be working on this and available at the police station where the holding cells are. I praise the chief and council for taking this step. All misdemeanor and felony suspects who do not have a drivers license or valid ID because they are illegal WILL go through the ICE agent and the EPD will request FORMAL DEPORTATION. This will make a huge impact!"

AResident wrote on March 08, 2007 12:01 PM:"ONE AND ALL: IT'S TIME TO STOP SHOPPING AND SPENDING MONEY IN THE CITY OF ESCONDIDO. CAN YOU DO IT? I HAVEN'T SPENT A DIME SINCE THE "DAY WITHOUT". IF MORE PEOPLE GOT ON THE BAND WAGON THIS CITY WOULD SEE THE IMPACT. PLEASE E-MAIL ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS THAT YOU KNOW."

Let me get this wrote on March 08, 2007 12:22 PM:"straight, in February the City Attorney put into law that no shopping carts are to be removed from the Store's parking lots, right? So when the police stop these cart theives and they have no ID, the police will haul them in for an interview with an ICE Agent? Ooops stupid me, I forgot the police are catering to the illegals which is why we still have shopping carts all over the town! You know what the City should stop taxing property owners and start taxing all of the illegals, since they are getting all of the services through are Mayor and the lousy clown who calls himself Cheif. "

Concerned-1 wrote on March 08, 2007 12:38 PM:"NCT, sorry but the posts you allow from the illerate are becoming a little annoying. Please feel free to edit/censor them anytime."

Johyp
    wrote on March 08, 2007 12:41 PM:"Everything the Chief said does not make sense. Get someone who can do the job. "

Like I said wrote on March 08, 2007 12:47 PM:"Have ICE at the check points, they can ID and take immediately into FEDERAL CUSTODY, that means it doesn't cost the taxpayers of Escondido a dime. With the Cheif's idea this is going to cost us more and more. "

Comprehensive Law Enforcement wrote on March 08, 2007 12:49 PM:"Local police departments have the power enforce Federal immigration laws. An excellent law review article by Professor Kris W. Kobach is published in the Albany Law Review, volume 69, page 179, titled, 'The Quintessential Force Multiplier: The Inherent Authority of Local Police to Make Immigration Arrests'."

Dan (Temcula) wrote on March 08, 2007 12:56 PM:" Who cares if a neighborhood won't coperate with a murder because they are mad that the border patrol will be at these check points. It's there cowardly act that makes them un American. Or even if there scared to be deported which doesn't happen when coperating with such a crime. Shoot 30% of are prison system are illegals, and a huge # have already been arrested up to 6 times without deportation. (Read that somewhere) Illegals have more rights than an American citizen that in itself is enough to say go home you are not welcome unless you are legal. "

Taxpayer wrote on March 08, 2007 1:07 PM:"Sounds like Escondido needs a new mayor AND a new police chief!"

Dan (Temcula) To: Joe at (9:19 wrote on March 08, 2007 1:14 PM:" You hit it on the head buddie.Your whole post. But I'm really interested in the gang injuction. I'm an x Oceanside deep valley resident who lived along side 2 latino gang neighborhoods who now have taken over my old one. Anyways Oceanside did the same thing with the gang injunction many years ago. The gangs did not take it serious at 1st, but eventually they did. The only problem with that is they go to gang school, and are out way to soon. I think instead of possible prison time they should be jailed, and made to pick strawberries, and fight fires to learn to get off there lazy butts. Oceanside also changed the street names of these gang areas to flowers, which didn't really do much, but not a bad idea. How about a gang called tulip holmes. Oceanside did clean up for a while but there back out, and smarter (crimnally wise) more than ever. I think all cities should deport any gang member after 1 arrest, and that means white, black, or brown. Go Esco!!!!"

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

Most Commented-On
    Stories This Week

Escondido gang members given notice (94)
    Letters to the Editor - 3/2/2007 (91)
    Activists gear up for immigration reform debate (90)
    Border patrol may work alongside Escondido police (83)
    Escondido police chief against immigration officers at checkpoints (77)
    Solana Beach building measure victorious after tally (70)
    Letters to the Editor - 3/7/2007 (64)
    Letters to the Editor - 3/6/2007 (5
    Letters to the Editor - 3/5/2007 (55)
    Letters to the Editor - 3/8/2007 (53)

http://www.nctimes.com/opinion/

No Border Patrol at checkpoints

Misdemeanor arrest policy to be tightened, stops added

By J. Harry Jones
    STAFF WRITER

March 8, 2007

ESCONDIDO – The Police Department will work closer with federal authorities to identify illegal immigrants who are committing crimes, but it will stop well short of asking federal authorities to work side-by-side with officers at traffic checkpoints.

In a presentation to the City Council yesterday evening, Police Chief Jim Maher warned that having the Border Patrol or other immigration officials at checkpoints would destroy the trust of illegal immigrants that police have worked hard to foster. He also said he feared the courts might view having federal authorities at checkpoints as unconstitutional and that it might even jeopardize the ability of police to conduct such operations throughout the state.
    Councilman Sam Abed had asked Maher to explore the possibility of having the Border Patrol accompany officers at checkpoints. As recently as last week, Abed was pushing such a policy.

The council appeared poised for another immigration battle, much like the housing ordinance debate last year that split the city and its leaders.

But after Maher outlined what the police already are doing and announced a small revision in the way they will handle misdemeanor arrests of potential illegal immigrants, all five council members seem pleased. No vote was needed or taken by the council.

Maher said that when someone is found to be driving without a driver's license or proper insurance at a checkpoint, the car is impounded and the driver is cited.

Under the new policy, Maher said, those people can be detained up to two hours while their identity is checked. He said a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent already has an office at the Police Department and has been working with officers for several years.

In fact, he said, between 10 and 15 illegal immigrants have been deported each month with the ICE agent's help.

Those taken into custody at checkpoints – for not having a license, insurance or proper vehicle registration – who are suspected of being in the country illegally will be referred to the agent, who will try to determine if they have a criminal background. If so, they could be deported.

However, Maher said ICE will not usually deport someone simply for committing a misdemeanor crime, such as driving without a license or shoplifting.

Abed had said he wanted any illegal immigrant found to be without a license to be deported. Last night, after the presentation by the chief, Abed had changed his mind.

“I'm not concerned about minor violations, like somebody not wearing a seat belt.

“I think we have gone far enough with the new policy, and we will have to see how it works. I think we might have to revisit the issue later. I think it is a measured change and the police chief is comfortable with it, and the council is comfortable with it. I think we are going to see a substantial reduction of crime in our city. That's our goal,” Abed said.

During his presentation, Maher said police also plan to increase the number of traffic checkpoints. They average about one a month now but will add one or two. He said a recent checkpoint found 40 drivers without licenses in a two-hour period.

City Manager Clay Phillips said a new policy has not been made, but instead the existing policy has been tightened concerning misdemeanor arrests.

Many residents attended the council meeting out of concern that the council would implement a stricter policy.

They said they were relatively pleased with Maher's outlook and his reluctance to include immigration agents at traffic stops.

Mitzy Valdes, 17, of Escondido said the City Council's immigration views continue to upset her and others in the city's Latino community.

“They don't represent us,” she said after the meeting.

“They keep saying the same thing and hassling immigrants. They say they are focusing only on crime, but at the end of every sentence I keep hearing 'immigrant.' ”

Tisha Bennett, who encouraged the council to work with Border Patrol at traffic checkpoints, said she was “very disappointed” the council didn't push for stricter policies.

“We really wanted our Police Department to work with the federal government on 287 (g), which trains officers to implement immigration laws. With the way it is now, everybody is falling through the net.”

Staff writer Kristina Davis contributed to this report.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070308/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. Harry Jones: (760) 737-7579; jharry.jones@uniontrib.com

Comments On This Story

Just so you know wrote on March 08, 2007 1:29 PM:"This policy is by far the most aggressive in the county in responding to the issues of illegal immigrants. Most PD's don't even inquire but instead rely on the jail screening process. Most of you won't be happy until the response involves tatoos and detention centers on the edge of town. "

Backed into a corner wrote on March 08, 2007 1:33 PM:"The Escondido police chief is being bullied and backed into a corner by Illegal alien activist and the ACLU types. Someone has got to stand up and do whats right for the legal citizen's. I can feel his frustration and fear , but it is his job to do the right thing for the right people. Bless you chief, I will pray for God to give you the strenghth and protection you need."

Patriot wrote on March 08, 2007 1:40 PM:"To la_mexican and other like-minded, I don't hate Mexicans, but I do find it unfair to legal immigrants that our government has allowed all the Mexican nationals to enter this country illegally ahead of legal immigrants. Legal immigrants often wait years to come to the United States in respect for our immigration laws. When they finally arrive, they find the entry level jobs taken or paying artificially low wages, schools bursting with struggling Spanish-speaking children, hospitals failing and health insurance premiums skyrocketing. No, I don't hate you, but the wrong you are doing to legal residents and citizens cannot endear you to us."

El Guero wrote on March 08, 2007 1:46 PM:"It is a fact that molesters are mostly white guys. Just go to the Megans law webiste and see who is registered. Mostly all white guys. Deport white guys now!!!!"

Bye bye wrote on March 08, 2007 2:01 PM:"Lori and Chief Maher you have to go."

Have some sense wrote on March 08, 2007 2:08 PM:"It's clear from 90% of the comments above that there are some unrepentant racists in this town. Think clearly for a second and you will realize that the vast majority of Latinos in Escondido are here legally. Don't take Sam Abed's twisted figures as the final word on the illegal tally here because the San Diego DA has already crushed him on that tip. Sure, there is a problem with illegal immigration and we need a better plan to deal with it, but what it sounds like most of you are against "Mexicans" and not just illegals. Guess what? There are an estimated 50,000 illegal IRISH immigrants in the US right now, most of them here on overstayed visas. Sounds like a small number, but would you even notice if they were all in San Diego county? Of course not, because they "look like you". I agree, enforce the laws, build a giant wall at the border if you must, but don't pretend like this isn't about race. Speaking of Sam Abed, I wonder when he arrived here, and if his family followed proper channels toward legal status?"

Very Upset wrote on March 08, 2007 2:11 PM:"Hey to all who are in an up roar about all the illegals in Escondido! Why so much hate towards all of us Mexicans? Don't say it's not just the Mexicans because all of you know pretty darn well you can't stand us being here. I never hear of any other race being picked on. Take a good look and see who is really the problem. Lets start with ... who are bombing our country, all the crazy white folks who are shooting in our schools. There is crime every where it doesn't matter what race you are. The Mexicans are the ones coming not only to Escondido but all over the country to work hard for a better life. The reason you don't pay high prices for your grocerys is because they are out there picking them for low wages. Man everyone just open your eyes and deal with whats really happening!!"

Mario wrote on March 08, 2007 2:30 PM:"Once you leave the trailer and receive an education you will understand that illegal immigration is such a big issue that nothing will be done that could possibly hurt big buss. or small buss, that is why nothing has been done yet. In addition, racial profiling is a problem you cant stop Latinos who have been in this country for generations. who is the real illegal pilgrim"

El Guero wrote on March 08, 2007 2:38 PM:"To WOW: I hope you're right about people taken into custody at the checkpoints being turned over to the BP agent at the police station. I read that a single BP agent had been assigned to the Escondido station and he checks the status of perps the cops bring in. But is he on station 24 hrs a day? I believe the checkpoints are conducted at night (although I may be mistaken). The story says that those arrested at the checkpoints may be detained for up to 2 hours. What if no one from the Border Patrol is available to process them in that time? Will they be cited and released according to the old policy? Don't get me wrong: any progress is good. But I'd feel much better knowing that absolutely EVERY illegal immigrant stopped at the checkpoint for driving without a license or insurance will be deported. I don't get that sense of certainty with the new policy."

Pablo wrote on March 08, 2007 2:50 PM:"Responding to WOW at 11:45, The Chief's new policy is a crock. Crime in Escondido like everywhere else occurs 24/7. Because the Chief didn't say and nobody asked him, nobody knows if this ICE agent is assigned exclusively to Escondido or not. Further, even if he is it is reasonable to conclude he would only be available 40 hours a week. What about the other 128 hours in the week? Escondido needs to have several officers cross-trained with ICE to ensure that there is always someone with proper authority and training available to handle all suspected illegals. "

Enforce the Law! wrote on March 08, 2007 3:38 PM:"Am I understanding this correctly?? The Escondido Police Chief is afraid to enforce the law because he might offend the criminals?? Looks like Mayor Pfeiler has company now."

Very Very Upset wrote on March 08, 2007 3:42 PM:"Hey, I'll pay more for my groceries if I don't have to pay to build new prisons to house these guys who came "to work hard for a better life", or pay for my kid to ride the school bus so the illegals' kids can ride for free, or pay more for my health insurance to cover free emergency care for the illegals, or pay higher auto insurance to cover against an illegal hitting my car, or pay for social services to all the children born to illegals."

Very Upset wrote on March 08, 2007 3:48 PM:"In past couple of days as I am reading comments that are very full of hate. I want to anwswer some of the questions that were passed my way. YES! I am a US Citizen and a registred voter and no I am not a field worker. To the person who commented on Escondido History. Where did you get your information from??? You need to get an education and find out who was on this land first! I just want to say Hats off to our Mayor and I am behind you for the next 4 years. "

Let me put it wrote on March 08, 2007 4:26 PM:"this way, you and your family are waiting in line for the new movie that just came out. Problem is there is only 150 tickets but thats ok as you are 10th in line. Now some bozo who is third in line lets 146 of his friends cut in line in front of him. Wouldn't you be upset? Thats why people that are waiting their turn in foreign lands are so upset with the illegal criminals that have cut in line. "

DJ wrote on March 08, 2007 4:36 PM:"Escondido, your mayor is not sleeping, she doesn't have her head in the sand, she is exactly who she's been long before the last election. I feel your pain, but really... think about it!"

Maher and the Mayor need to be FIRED!... wrote on March 08, 2007 4:50 PM:"Illegal Immigrants are Breaking The LAW! They are Criminals. If the Maher's/Mayor's do not want to enforce the law, FIRE THEM! We don't want their lame excuses. We want the law enforced 100%."

Get rid of wrote on March 08, 2007 4:58 PM:"the police chief and the mayor. If illegal immigrants are reporting crimes then I'm sure they are doing it anonymously because they don't want to have anything to do with the police. "

DJ
    wrote on March 08, 2007 5:40 PM:"Dear La Mexican... No, we *don't* hate Mexicans, lots of us marry them. We are just grieving a loss of everything familiar and comfortable... everything is changing so quickly, all at once. "

Concerned wrote on March 08, 2007 5:54 PM:"The new policy is a step in the right direction. One must walk before they can run. In regards to the Border Patrol, call or write your Congressman. Currently, politics will not let them patrol Escondido. Temecula Border Patrol knows that Escondido is a safe haven for illegal aliens. The problem is their hands are tied by Washington D.C."

DEBBIE wrote on March 08, 2007 5:57 PM:"Immigrants are not only hispanic. You can work into stores, work and theme parks etc.. and hear people speaking several other languages. You hear people talking about family members racing, speeding, running red lights, forgetting to renew insurance. I have also seen car with expired tags. What is to be done about this people that came from oversea?"

To:very upset wrote on March 08, 2007 6:34 PM:"To address your question; Why the Mexicans? Because there are approx 2 to 3 million illegal MEXICANS in California! Not illegal Canadians or Africans, Isralies, Russins or Germans,etc.. JUST MEXICANS! I Hope this helps you understand why!It has nothing to do with race, but rather "numbers" I dont know of any other foriegn race waving there flags and protesting American Laws!!!Dont you agree that this will surely cause animosity! We all want a better life, but we dont break laws in order to obtain it! Breaking our immagration laws so you can pick fruit and vegetables, is far from a better life."

Reardon wrote on March 08, 2007 8:07 PM:"Hmmmm....seems like the work that US citizens can't or wont do is...enforce existing laws! Let me see if I get this right...robbing a bank is a federal crime, so if a bank in Escondido is robbed the Escondido police will not respond because it is a federal responsibility? I don't think so! Kidnapping is a federal crime, so the Escondido Police Dept will not respond to a victims plea? I don't think so. The good Chief selects which Federal laws he will assist in, and which he won't. Time to get a new Chief...one who actually arrests lawbreakers. I'll bet the Chief would arrest a lawbreaker from Florida, or Oregon -- but he won't arrest one from Mexico or Brazil? Gimm' a break!"

Ingrid
    wrote on March 08, 2007 8:23 PM:"I was really disappointed to hear Police Chief Maher say ICE will not usually deport someone simply for committing a misdemeanor crime, such as driving without a license or shoplifting. What else can Illegal Aliens get away with before being deported? To me driving without license and insurance is a very serious crime that puts law biding Americans in jeopardy. And I am glad to see that the police chief thinks that shoplifting is not a serious crime."

To : Very Upset wrote on March 08, 2007 8:24 PM:"Last night another 6,000 Illegal Aliens snuck over our Southen Border. According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the resident population of the United States, projected to 03/09/07 at 04:24 GMT (EST+5) is 301,335,945."

And MEXICO'S IMMIGRATION LAW States : wrote on March 08, 2007 8:32 PM:"Mexico reserves the right to arrest and deport anyone it deems inconvenient, without the benefit of judicial process... ...Foreigners are not allowed to participate in the political proces or demonstratioins. "

Wesley wrote on March 08, 2007 8:54 PM:"" A LINE IN THE SAND: CONFRONTING THE THREAT AT THE SOUTHWEST BORDER" Homeland Security Iraq's Learning Spanish Before Crossing Border Senator Mc Cauls Website http://www.house.gov/mccaul/ "