Since the Mexico mob crushed Escondido's feeble attempt to clean out illegal aliens, we've heard mere peeps and seen no action. This piece is remarkable because of what wasn't in the mayor's State of the City address and what was in the reader comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Eakins, North County Times

Mayor: City must focus on economic development, jobs
PAUL EAKINS, Staff Writer, Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:28 PM PST

ESCONDIDO -- The revitalization of downtown, improved transportation and cultural amenities are among some of Escondido's strengths, Mayor Lori Holt Pfeiler said Wednesday night during her annual State of the City address. But the city has some challenges ahead as well, she said, particularly improving economic development and attracting jobs. Pfeiler's speech at City Hall on North Broadway, where some 115 community members, city staff members and recipients of 10 community service awards were in attendance, was mostly upbeat. Pfeiler began her speech talking about volunteerism and the dedication of residents who had improved the community, mentioning many by name.

<snip>

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

We can leave wrote on February 22, 2007 6:38 AM: "The mayor says we can't leave because it'll be the same in other cities. Wrong! My family can and will move as soon as we can. As much as we loved it here when we moved here about 7 years ago, things have changed drastically. More graffiti, violence, yard/garage sales, street peddlers, shops that look no better than the ones in Tijuana, Mariachi music everywhere including a high school PA system. School API scores middle of the road as compared to other school districts. There are other places where these problems don't exist and we found one we're moving to. I wish the best for Escondido and the families who have no choice but to stay. "

Observer wrote on February 22, 2007 7:16 AM: "If our bumbling mayor truly wanted to keep jobs in the downtown she would not have spearheaded the move by PPH to move its primary hospital to the inoutskirts. It will be a sad day for downtown when the hospital moves and takes thousands of professional jobs with it."

Escondeeter wrote on February 22, 2007 8:32 AM: "The mayor did deal with the issue of illegal immigration, but she did it euphemistically. Her solution was: "Learn to live with it." "

April wrote on February 22, 2007 9:10 AM: "Turn a blind eye, sweep illegal immigration under the rug and lets concentrate on downtown! Boy is this Mayor clueless!!! Sure downtown(Grand Ave)is a nice place on a summer evening but this city has some very serious issues with the illegal immigrants. In the past year at least 8 families in my neigborhood have moved out of state because of this issue. The only new business that I have seen in this city have been hispanic markets, taco shops, laundry mats. Look at San Marcos, that is where all the top notch new business have gone. We were fortunate to have a Lowes but why not also more quality stores. I was very excited thinking maybe this city could get a Major market on the east end of Valley Parkway but what we have is a Cali/Valley Max store with spanish writing out front on the signs. Enough is enough! To expand Grape day park when we need to spend more money and hire more code enforcement officals and get some sort of daily task force to drive around everyday and gets these illegal vendors off our streets! I counted 4 ice cream trucks in our neigborhood in one afternoon. They all happened to stop and socialize on the cornor, are they licensed? I did not see any psotings to the fact. And what's with these vehicles, hispanic drivers I have noticed, without dated registration? I saw a car yesterday March 2006...It's Feb.2007! How hard is it to get the car legal? It's milking the system. Enough with this Mayor and her cherry coating.... I want a "Sense of Place" for the WHOLE city not just downtown!!!"

PPH wrote on February 22, 2007 9:41 AM: "Actually "Observer" you're incorrect about the hospital's move. When PPH moves to its new facility over 2000 new jobs will be moved from Rancho Bernando to the current PPH site. It will create net positive result. "

American woman wrote on February 22, 2007 9:56 AM: "Pfeiler is an inadequate Mayor. She lacks the strengths of character and fortitude to lead. Her remark about the 'people making the city what it is' is absolutely true...we can all agree on that. Look at the population of Escondido. 'Nuff said? Then she has the temerity to suggest that parks are one of the answers to Escondido's problems. Yikes! Well, on the other hand, illegals do soooo enjoy parks! Ms. Campbell pointed out the fact that illegal immigrant presence in large numbers is a NEGATIVE! The city has had opportunities to reduce illegal alien numbers, and rejected them. Under the present leadership, Escondido will go nowhere. I can see Marie Waldron as Mayor. She is strong and would be more likely to get things done for her city. Some of the Council members are living in denial, and that will continue to prevent any appreciable progress for Escondido. Not only Escondido, but America herself must WAKE UP before it's too late! We are losing our country, and Southern California has proved herself to be a jumping-off point for the clandestine plan of the current Administration. The North American Union is under construction. Bye-bye, sovereignty. So long, U.S. Constitution. Farewell, borders (such as they are)."

Addressing the Real State of the CIty wrote on February 22, 2007 10:11 AM: "The noticeably missing issue of illegal immigration, how it affects the city & its residents and what it costs IS the major problem in Mexcondido. Jobs will not be attracted to the city until the problems with the overwhelming illegal population is resolved. Upscale retail that will attract tourists and business visitors to our city will not locate in the city until the problems created by the illegal polulation is addressed. Those of us who already live here will not spend our disposable income in Escondido when we have beautiful new centers close by in San Marcos offering the kind of shopping experience Escondido does not provide. Her naive ommission of the illegal problem shows that she does not realize that her dream list of what needs to be accomplished hinges upon solving the city's biggest problem, illegals. Cities that are great do not have drug dealers, homeless and illegals laying around their parks all day. Even those of us who live in the upscale neighborhoods in the outskirts of the city, do not have a sense of belonging here and we never will as long as the city remains a haven for illegals. The parks, restaurants and cultural attractions simply are not enough to change that, nor attract outsiders other than illegasls who Do have a sense of belonging here."

observer wrote on February 22, 2007 10:26 AM: "Dear PPH, We will see where the jobs end up. You are great at making promises but don't have the money to back them up. No way will downtown be better off."

AResident wrote on February 22, 2007 10:37 AM: "To ALL in these Blogs. It's my opinion that Escondido is not going to clean it self up until we the people clean up the city officials. Don't re-elect the Mayor. Elect new blood that can see what the heck is happening to this town. My girl friend just moved out of Escondido because of the crime. Gang members selling drugs 2 doors down. The house was finally raided. Guess what? 5 little kids in their also. You can put a dress on a pig, but it is still a pig. Bringing jobs to Escondido is going to be a very difficult task. Either there will be low paying assembly jobs or food workers. The average family can't live on those wages. I would like the city council to take one of these jobs for a year and try to support their family's. Not one of them would step to the plate. The other issue is that Escondido has such a high illegal rate that no Tech business would re-locate here. There is not enough skilled labor to support tech company's. One has to step back and understand that the real problems have to be addressed and solved FIRST. You can't continue to put your head in the sand or turn a blind eye to these problems. If Escondido city officials continue to not inforce laws that have been on the books for many many years. How do they expect any company to move here? It's a dream that will not come true. Developing down town: It will never be the gas lamp. You can only go the the theature or arts so many times. Then what? Walk Escondido Blvd.? Come on. Start cleaning it up from the ground floor. Don't build walls (Condos) around the parts you choose not to deal with. I could go on for days here. But as with most of the words written in these blogs, the CITY DOES NOTHING. Make it a great day."

AResident wrote on February 22, 2007 10:42 AM: "If you want a new library and park. Go bust all the drug dealers the live on mission and rose. Seize their drugs, cash and property. Seized the homes and appartment complexes that let them do it. You will not only have cash but you can tear down those infested apartments and have more room for more parks..............LOL"

Esco Local wrote on February 22, 2007 1:07 PM: "The vision for an expanded Grape Day Park is a great one. This would be a huge benefit to all of Escondido. Imagine a mini Balboa Park here in our town(!). I look forward to this."

Escondodo wrote on February 23, 2007 4:40 AM: "What more can I say? The majority of the previous comments have expressed my views. What happened with PPH showcases the mayor's influence; as always, follow the money. This will be Escondido's NAFTA. Get ready for that great sucking sound. The mayor's actions demonstrate her goal of accumulating well-heeled donors at the expence of addressing the real problems that we're dealing with. I talk to so many of my peers who love Escondido but don't want to sacrifice their future retirements for it. Eventually we all are forced to read the writing on the wall. Do we stay or do we go? "

anomaly wrote on February 23, 2007 3:38 PM: "Just like always, dodging the truths and trying to sugar coat things. Can't our mayor see? This city is a mess. Drug dealers, graffiti, homeless, trash everywhere, and what jobs could she be talking about bringing here? The reason we have to shop in other cities is because no decent stores or resturants want to come here, because they can see the mess. Expanding Grape Day park is a nice thought, but how about worrying about the real problems we have first. The city is always complaining about how the police department is understaffed, (the famous excuse for everything)well, why dont we spend our money on more police officers instead of more parks that the officers need to patrol? The city could be doing simple things to help make this a nice place to live, like enforcing laws that are already in place, they dont even do that. Code enforement is a joke, why do I see so many violations, and they cannot? Why am I paying thousands of dollars a year to register my vehicles? More and more Baja Calif. plates are hitting our streets and not paying a dime(just another loop hole I see)Maybe if the city would crack down on that problem, they would get more revenue from registration. Just like AResident said, I could go on all day, but the CITY DOES NOTHING"

Al wrote on February 24, 2007 9:54 AM: "Pheiler is the most boring and inept mayor I have ever seen. So out-of-touch with reality. She refuses to do anything to stop flood of ILLEGALS's here in EscoMexico and the attendant problams that accompany it. This town has a bad image to those who live outside it's borders.(i.e. middle and upper cass white folks who have the money.) She is mainly responsible for that negative perception. Can't wait util this one is out of office." The Unabridged Story
The citizens almost universally criticize local government for failure to correct the illegal alien scourge. Escondido has become the living example of what happens when you don't fight this illegal invasion. And BTW, just fighting is not enough. These fine people learned what happens when you lose. They had three choices: Flee, learn to live with it or go underground and remove them vigilante style. Seems most in Escondido are learning to live with it but a significant number are fleeing a bad situation.