Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

EU endorses sweeping new border security rules

EU endorses sweeping new border security rules
    By CONSTANT BRAND – 2 hours ago

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) — European Union leaders ordered their governments Friday to draft tough new border security measures including the fingerprinting and screening of all visitors who cross the 27-nation bloc's borders.

The heads of state told their administrations to draft legislation on tougher new border measures would include using a satellite system to keep out illegal immigrants and the introduction of a Web-based pre-travel authorization system for foreigners.
    That proposal would be drafted by 2010.

Such efforts has been met with growing international concern that Europe could be curbing privacy rights and the rights of those seeking refugee status in the EU.

Some of the border upgrades are similar to ones adopted by the United States.

The EU screening would apply to both people who need visas to enter EU nations, such as visitors from most African nations, and those who do not need visas, such as U.S. citizens.

The proposals, if approved by all EU governments, would represent one of the largest security overhauls in the European Union and could cost billions of dollars.

"Modern technologies must be harnessed to improve the management of external borders," the leaders said.

Setting common security standards at airports, harbors and land-border checks is meant to filter out illegal immigrants and catch criminals and terror suspects before they enter the EU's 24-nation passport-free travel zone.

Progress on crafting other common immigration rules has been bogged down by the complexity of aligning national immigration rules and strong disagreement over whether national authorities should give up control over who they let into their countries.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said he would make immigration one of his top priorities when he takes over the EU presidency from Slovenia next month.

Friday's agreement is meant to revitalize efforts to draft common immigration standards — first launched by leaders in 1999.

The leaders said they would "intensify work" on approving measures, including how to attract and admit highly skilled workers, what rights to give non-European residents and on signing pacts with other countries to ensure they take back illegals caught in the EU.

The renewed commitment comes a day after Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez criticized a new EU law on returning illegals, which is part of the EU immigration plans.

The new EU rules set loose Europe-wide standards on how to treat the detention of illegal migrants and expel them.

Chavez on Thursday threatened to cut off oil and bar investment opportunities to EU nations if they applied the new rules, which were passed by the European Parliament.

The rules set out basic rights including access to food, shelter and legal advice for illegal immigrants, and bind EU nations not to detain them for more than 18 months before deportation or releasing them.

Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg laughed off the threat.

"As far as I know, Venezuela supplies oil mostly to the U.S. ... so it would not be that much of a deal," he said.
    http://ap.google.com:80/article/ALeqM5h ... AD91DTO000
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is just MY opinion: In this day and age when you do not know who is a terrorist or not, I will willingly submit to any inspection to verify who I am.

The analogy to me is the same as a bank teller, who asks for our ID whenever we make a withdrawal. Yes, it may be an inconvience. But of what??? Just our time. That's all. What is the bigger picture? The teller is looking out for MY MONEY, making sure he is giving it out to the rightful owner. And why is this? Because bank tellers -- with all their years of experience -- cannot tell who is a legitimate bank customer and who is an imposter.

So it goes with traveling. It may cost me several minutes of my time, but these workers are, in the Big Picture, LOOKING OUT FOR MY SAFETY.

FYI, when bank tellers ask me for my ID, I ACTUALLY THANK THEM FOR DOING SO. They always have this relieved look on their face, coz most of the time they get crap from everybody. I wish more people would realize that these tellers are out to protect them, not give them grief. Sheesh.
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

I agree EX-OC. In this day we can't take anything for granted. I use to be a teller and every time they would complain about it I said "fine I'll jot down your name and next time anyone comes in here, even though I don't recognize them, I'll cash the check in your name." Their eyes would widen. No skin off my nose. You want to give your money to anyone that's just fine with me. LOL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    I agree EX-OC. In this day we can't take anything for granted. I use to be a teller and every time they would complain about it I said "fine I'll jot down your name and next time anyone comes in here, even though I don't recognize them, I'll cash the check in your name." Their eyes would widen. No skin off my nose. You want to give your money to anyone that's just fine with me. LOL
    Gogo, I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I used to be a teller too!! hahhaha. I hated it when customers shouted back at me: "ID?? What do you need my ID for?? I have half a million dollars in this bank and I have been banking here for 200 years. Why are you bothering me with ID??" Like that has anything to do with "the price of rice in China."

Sigh. Your technique was awesome, Gogo. Wish I had known that back in 1986.

Ya, in a situation like that you say OK I'll do it you're way no matter the consequences YOU HAVE TO PAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_OC
    This is just MY opinion: In this day and age when you do not know who is a terrorist or not, I will willingly submit to any inspection to verify who I am.

The analogy to me is the same as a bank teller, who asks for our ID whenever we make a withdrawal. Yes, it may be an inconvience. But of what??? Just our time. That's all. What is the bigger picture? The teller is looking out for MY MONEY, making sure he is giving it out to the rightful owner. And why is this? Because bank tellers -- with all their years of experience -- cannot tell who is a legitimate bank customer and who is an imposter.

So it goes with traveling. It may cost me several minutes of my time, but these workers are, in the Big Picture, LOOKING OUT FOR MY SAFETY.

FYI, when bank tellers ask me for my ID, I ACTUALLY THANK THEM FOR DOING SO. They always have this relieved look on their face, coz most of the time they get crap from everybody. I wish more people would realize that these tellers are out to protect them, not give them grief. Sheesh.
    I know where you are coming from, and I used to feel the same way you do. Anything to protect us. I don't feel that way anymore since I lost my trust in our government. Why did they leave our borders wide open after 9/11 if they truly wanted to protect us? Instead they are coming up with all kinds of high tech ways to 'protect' us. I don't trust it. To me, it's not logical to trust it. Any terrorist can so easily get across our borders. Why would they allow this? I think about this a lot.

Have you seen the new airport body scanners? It's a virtual strip search. Sorry but I am not willing to subject myself to this level of security.
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_9352834 10 airports have these now.

I love your posts and I'm not trying to start an argument at all. I just wanted to offer a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex_OC

I know where you are coming from, and I used to feel the same way you do. Anything to protect us. I don't feel that way anymore since I lost my trust in our government. Why did they leave our borders wide open after 9/11 if they truly wanted to protect us? Instead they are coming up with all kinds of high tech ways to 'protect' us. I don't trust it. To me, it's not logical to trust it. Any terrorist can so easily get across our borders. Why would they allow this? I think about this a lot.

Have you seen the new airport body scanners? It's a virtual strip search. Sorry but I am not willing to subject myself to this level of security.
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_9352834 10 airports have these now.

I love your posts and I'm not trying to start an argument at all. I just wanted to offer a different perspective.

Oh, no prob, Lynne.

I forgot about those scanners. I was just referring to IDs.

Checked out your link. Gosh. That is pretty gnarly. Thank God they will give us a choice of a pat-down instead. Sheesh!