Dear Congressowmen Lofgren,

Thank you kindly for your response.

While I agree that the status quo is unacceptable, that is only because existing laws have not been and are not being enforced.

In 1986, the Immigration Reform and Enforcement Act was codified based on the promise that it would end illegal immigration. That act granted amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.

Twenty years later, IRCA has resulted in neither reform nor control. As a result, an additional 12-30 million illegal aliens have invaded America.

IRCA has never been enforced! Why should the American people believe that the government will enforce a new 1,000 page law?

While it may be difficult to agree on an exact definition of amnesty, one thing is clear: Most Americans are adamantly against legislation that rewards those who have ignored our borders and laws.

Our experience with IRCA proves that amnesty will not work! We must destroy the incentive for illegal aliens to invade our nation.

We need to secure the borders with military force if needed, enforce all existing laws including IRCA, and begin a systematic and intelligent system for deporting illegal aliens currently here.

I realize that President Bush has said that deportation is impossible. But he is the same president who told Pat Roberston that he (Bush) did not expect casualties in Iraq.

Bush also insisted that a troop surge would bring stability to Iraq.

May I suggest that quoting President Bush as a source of wisdom is not wise?

Again, my plea: Support no legislation that rewards those who have ignored our borders and laws. They are criminals and should be returned home to their native lands.

By the way, why not have a town hall meeting on this topic?

Sincerely,

John W. Lillpop

Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren <ca16ima@mail.house.gov> wrote:
Dear Mr. Lillpop :
Thanks for taking the time to share your viewpoint on immigration issues. As you know, I am working on solutions at this very time and value your input. One of the interesting elements of our current debate is this: no matter where one is along the continuum of opinion on immigration, nobody is satisfied with the status quo. Just about everyone agrees that there should be change.
President Bush and others have called for comprehensive bipartisan immigration reform. I agree that should be a goal. Towards that end, I have spent many hours soliciting the ideas of Republican members of the House, as well as experts in our country including economists, business and labor leaders, religious leaders and demographers. I have also met with the President's team several times and expect to do so again.
President Bush has made clear that rounding up and deporting the 11 million aliens in the United States without proper papers is not practical and will not occur. He has also stated that immigration reform should be without amnesty and "without animosity."
As I contemplate the need for change, the following principles, among others, will guide me: Whatever laws we enact must serve the best interests of the United States . The system we devise should end illegal immigration and replace it with a system where individuals who are permitted to enter the United States do so in an orderly and regulated process. Those immigrants who are permitted to immigrate to meet the unmet economic needs of America should do so without adversely impacting the American workforce. Enforcement of the rules against employers in the workplace who hire people not permitted to work in the US should be strong. Efforts should be made to strengthen the nuclear family. Immigrants should be expected to assimilate into America and our policies should promote assimilation. Our borders should be controlled.
I will do my best to help craft laws that accomplish these goals and pledge to work on a bipartisan basis in doing so.
Again, many thanks for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely
Zoe Lofgren
Member of Congress

John W. Lillpop
San Hose, California (There ain't no ~ in Hose, mate!)