Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Fabian Nunez: Bush 'Turned His Back' on Mexico

www.hispanicbusiness.com

Nunez: Bush 'Turned His Back' on Mexico

August 30, 2005

Monica Medel

California's top state legislator says U.S. President George W. Bush "turned his back" on Mexico and failed to give the United States' southern neighbor the respect it deserves.

Fabian Nunez, head of the California legislature's lower house, commented in an interview with EFE on Sunday, right before wrapping up an official visit to Mexico that included a meeting with President Vicente Fox.

"I don't believe that they've shown this administration (of Fox) the respect it deserves and I don't think that as (Fox's) term draws to a close he's going to be given the respect that he didn't receive earlier," said Nunez, a Democrat.

Born in Sand Diego, the California legislator ended a four-day visit to Mexico on Sunday. During his trip - which he characterized as "positive and fruitful" - he met with state and local legislators, businessmen, union leaders and professors.

In his judgment, the relationship between the two countries cannot be considered "bilateral" because the United States unilaterally imposes its opinion on its neighbor, something that Nunez said he feels constitutes "a lack of respect."

He said that Mexican aspirations within the relationship had not been in any sense fulfilled since immigration reform remains stagnant and Mexican investment in the United States has not been facilitated.

Nunez said that he would push for modifications in California law so that Mexican businessmen would find it easier to invest in the state.

He criticized Bush's lack of support for the immigration reform bill sponsored by Republican Sen. John McCain and Democrat Ted Kennedy, which allows family unification, reduces the number of pending immigration cases and sets up an immigration status legalization program - but does not provide amnesty - for those who entered the country illegally.

In his judgment, one of the main problems between the two national governments is on U.S. immigration policy, which "has allowed racial prejudices to enter" into the matter, something that has made an "intelligent, honest" dialogue impossible.

Currently, there are more than 10 million Mexicans living in the United States, 4.5 million of them undocumented and who send a total of billions of dollars in remittances - crucial to both the small-scale family economies and that of the nation itself - to their families in Mexico.

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington halted the bilateral dialogue on immigration, while Mexico's refusal to support the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 increased the tension in the bilateral relationship.

The increase in violence along the mutual border due to turf wars among Mexican drug cartels revived the tension between the two countries and led earlier in August to the week-long closing of the U.S. Consulate in Nuevo Laredo.

U.S. Ambassador to Mexico Tony Garza admitted that his decision to close the consulate had been made to "punish" Mexico for its failure to effectively combat drug trafficking violence, and in mid-August New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano declared a state of emergency in eight border counties due to the heavy inflow of drugs and illegal migrants.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has not yet done so, but there exists substantial pressure from state legislators on him to declare a similar state of emergency.

Regarding the California governor, Nunez said, "He has said things that have insulted not only the government, but also the people of Mexico," adding that the continual friction has not allowed the development of the bonds that should exist between neighbors, particularly considering the fact that Mexico is California's largest foreign trade partner.

"Instead of militarizing the border, he should seek ways to cooperate with Mexico" and increase collaboration in technology and intelligence, the California lawmaker said.

The problem, he emphasized, is that the United States "has no confidence (in Mexico) and doesn't treat it like a modern democracy."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

old Nunez can pack his ditty bag and take his burro right on down there with his buddy Fox.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I don't believe that they've shown this administration (of Fox) the respect it deserves and I don't think that as (Fox's) term draws to a close he's going to be given the respect that he didn't receive earlier," said Nunez, a Democrat.
    Foxie gets more respect that he deserves--which is not much at all.
    He runs his mouth like a drunken sailor, but doesn't have as much sense.
    If he spent as much time running Mexico as he spends trying to tell us what to do, his country might be in better shape.

The problem, he emphasized, is that the United States "has no confidence (in Mexico) and doesn't treat it like a modern democracy."
    Mexico might get treated like a modern domocracy if they actually were one. This Nunez is a real piece of work.

I might even help Mr. Nunez pack his burro but might have trouble telling them apart.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Kiss your tax funded salary goodbye traitor Nunez...and get ready to walk the plank.

I can't believe what I'm reading... a US elected offical degrading the President of the United Sates for not treating a crooked Mexical Offical with all due respect!

And just what Mexican investment into the US... any money the mexican goverment gets seems to end up in Camman Islands.... what big mexican business has been wanting to invest in US operations where they would have to meet EPA and Labor standards.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtC
    I can't believe what I'm reading... a US elected offical degrading the President of the United Sates for not treating a crooked Mexical Offical with all due respect!

And just what Mexican investment into the US...
    The Investment Mexico has in the United States, is illegal Immigrants.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

He said that Mexican aspirations within the relationship had not been in any sense fulfilled since immigration reform remains stagnant and Mexican investment in the United States has not been facilitated.

What is this clown talking about! The last thing Mexico wants is for the U.S. to initiate immigration reform. He's talking about Mexico being upset because the borders still exist. Horrors!

And then there was the line about how our government is allowing racism to dictate public policy.

Let me say this once and for all:

THIS WAS NEVER A RACE ISSUE. YOU HAVE NO CHOICE OVER YOUR SKIN COLOR. YOU CHOOSE TO ENTER A COUNTRY ILLEGALLY, AND THEREFORE TO PUNISH SOMEBODY FOR DOING SO IS NOT RACIST!

So to all my ALIPAC friends, don't let anyone tell you that you're a racist for your anti-illegal immigrant beliefs. Not like you would anyway.

COOL! I got promoted and got another star!

And the EXCELLENT post that bumped you up...priceless!

You certainly speak for me.

Quote: In his judgment, the relationship between the two countries cannot be considered "bilateral" because the United States unilaterally imposes its opinion on its neighbor, something that Nunez said he feels constitutes "a lack of respect."

Oh my gosh. This guy is TOTALLY insane. What in the heck are Californians doing electing people into public office who put the citizens of another country, particularly a country which is invading the U.S. and breaking all federal immigration laws, which exist to protect the American people, before the citizens of your own country Does this guy consider himself to be an American

Come on, California

I know you're not all to blame, but my gosh, California really needs an invasion of Americans!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast