Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Father of desperately ill toddler may be deported

http://www.elpasotimes.com/communities/ci_1626060

Father of desperately ill toddler may be deported
    By Aileen B. Flores \ El Paso Times
    Posted: 10/06/2010 12:00:00 AM MDT

ANTHONY, N.M. -- Margarito Espinoza may never talk, walk or play as his four brothers and sisters do.

But he has already overcome many obstacles at his young age.

The 2-year-old was born with multiple birth defects, including cleft palate, trisomy 8, Pierre Robin syndrome, Dandy-Walker syndrome, hydrocephalus and hydronephrosis.

When he was born, he was given two months to live.

Since then, he has gone through 17 surgeries and been hospitalized many times.

His parents, Yuriana Ortiz and Ernesto Espinoza, have been trained on how to administer his medicines and to use the equipment that keeps him alive, including a ventilator that prevents his lungs from filling with fluid.

And even though Margarito has fought to survive his and his family's future is uncertain.

On Sep. 8, Border Patrol agents detained his father at a gas station in Anthony, N.M., because he could not prove his legal status in the United States.

He now faces deportation to Mexico.

Espinoza is the only provider for the family. He worked for a landscape company until he was detained.

"I think my kids have had enough stress and they don't need to think that they're going to lose one or both of their parents at a time," Ortiz said. "But please think about my son Margarito. He is in a life-or-death situation."

She said Margarito would not survive if the family moved back to Mexico.

Both Espinoza and Ortiz were brought to the United States by their parents when they were children and are in the country illegally.

Leslie Trich, a family friend, said she also fears that Margarito will die if his father is deported. "Mom can't stay with him 24-seven. This is a humanity case," Trich said.

An immigration judge may decide next week whether Espinoza can remain in the country.

Patricia Gutierrez, a legal assistant for immigration lawyer Ray Gutierrez, said Gutierrez will try to get a cancellation of removal for Espinoza because Margarito may not survive if the family moves to Mexico.

"He has no criminal record and he is the only provider for the family," she said.

If the cancellation is granted, the attorney will try to find a way to keep Espinoza in the country to allow for his child's care.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Although I have compassion for the the family and their sick little boy, I shudder to think that just how much we the taxpayers have paid for his treatment. I thought that not long ago Calderon had claimed that Mexico had the best medical care in the world so why do people like this have to come to the United States for care?
    My husband and I went some 15 years without medical insurance because even though he worked fill time for the government, he was classified as part time at that time. I had to go to the hospital under emergency circumstances back then and the hospital refused to even let me in the door because we didn't have insurance. They forced me to pay them $500 up front to be able to get in. It's my impression that illegals are NEVER turned away. That really stinks.

Quote.........."He has no criminal record and he is the only provider for the family," she said.

We all know they are not paying for medical, welfare etc.
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

Banned
    This one is a no brainer

He gets an automatic hardship visa

YOU get to pay through the nose for his anchors medical care for life

DEPORT ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS

Why do we Americans cannot get free health care? We cannot afford to buy health insurance. But when illegals go to hospitals and other health centers, they all get free health care. That is not fair. WE must not continue with this situation. THe illegals are taking advantage of our system and Americans cannot get the services we need but illegal can. Deport all illegal aliens now.

I am sick and tired of the "pull at your heart strings" stories about illegals and their families! They knew what they were getting into LONG before they starting having kids, they knew this was a possibilty. We have probably paid every dime of this childs 17 ( SEVENTEEN) surgeries, not to mention his pre-natal care and his delivery. Enough is enough!

And before they bring up the "tearing families apart" crap... deport the entire family since it's a known fact both parents are illegal. Give the child medical transport, then turn them over to Mexico's loving care!

DITTO THAT NOMAS! Getting medical care is one thing....and just because they are from Mexico doesn't exempt them from having to pay, and yeah....what's the problem with getting medical care and going back to your home in Mexico!?! Just because they have a sick little boy doesn't mean they should be able to LIVE here illegally!

My granddaughter attends collage and works at a fast food place.

She developed a bladder condition, and eventually had to have medical care at an emergency room, and follow up treatment. Because she was short of funds she did not get to a doctor like she should have which would have prevented the emergency.

The emergency room she went to was full of Spanish speaking people who I assume were not charged a dime for their medical care. But my granddaughter on the other hand, now has a bill for $9,000 that she is rightly responsible for. But unfair, unjust, and illegal, are understatements! Our system is broken. I get mad just thinking about it.

It is sad about the little boy, and all of the suffering he has gone through with 17 surgeries. Bless his little heart.
    Ron Paul in 2011 "[...]no amnesty should be granted. Maybe a 'green card' with an asterisk should be issued[...]a much better option than deportation."

"Mom can't stay with him 24-seven.
    Why not? She's not working and will probably be on welfare for her kids soon enough.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOleDays
    My granddaughter attends collage and works at a fast food place.

She developed a bladder condition, and eventually had to have medical care at an emergency room, and follow up treatment. Because she was short of funds she did not get to a doctor like she should have which would have prevented the emergency.

The emergency room she went to was full of Spanish speaking people who I assume were not charged a dime for their medical care. But my granddaughter on the other hand, now has a bill for $9,000 that she is rightly responsible for. But unfair, unjust, and illegal, are understatements! Our system is broken. I get mad just thinking about it.

It is sad about the little boy, and all of the suffering he has gone through with 17 surgeries. Bless his little heart.
    They (illegals) do get charged, good luck trying to collect!

They don't have to worry about the debt going on their credit report.
    Some debt collector calling at all hours of the day.
    Somebody trying to sue them for the debt.

They walk into a hospital and give a fake name.

Banned
    What is with all these boo-hoo stories in the past year or so? Every day a new one. I DONT care about this kid. I care about Americans who cant get seen for hours in an emergency room because Jose has one of his 10 kids there for a splinter. I have seen it. They take there kids for the stupidest things like a scraped knee. What do they care -they dont have to pay. I am really not a cold person. I've just had it with these people and I dont care about any of there sob stories. " Oh I just want to feed my family" So do the Americans whose job you stole you thief.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast