Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Feds To Hand Out $2,000 Debit Cards To Evacuees

Feds To Hand Out $2,000 Debit Cards To Evacuees
    Bush, Congress Promise Probes Of Katrina Response

UPDATED: 11:55 am PDT September 7, 2005

NEW ORLEANS -- There's word that the federal government will start handing out debit cards to some Hurricane Katrina victims, as early as Wednesday.

A spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry said the cards, worth $2,000 each, are going to be given to adult evacuees at the Astrodome.

There's no formal announcement yet from the federal government about the program. But, The Associated Press has learned that the Homeland Security chief described the plan to state officials during a conference call Wednesday.

A state official who took part in the call said people displaced by the storm could use the cards to buy necessities such as food and gas.

http://www.10news.com/news/4887230/deta ... 72005&ts=H
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Do illegals get this also?

Now you tell me how they are going to prevent fraud!? I guess I will walk into a shelter and give them a New Orleans address and get me a $2,000 debit card! While I feel the intentions are good, you can just double the costs because of all of the people that will obtain them fraudulently! GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9241177/

$2,000 debit cards for Katrina victims
    $13 billion earmarked; adults at Astrodome are to get them today

The Associated Press
    Updated: 2:41 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2005

WASHINGTON - The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

“They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today (Wednesday) at the Astrodome,� said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

The available money â€â€
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

California or ground zero of the invasion
    I like this colorful article. Can you say "show me the money." Looks like it is turning more into a 3 ring circus everyday.

www.khou.com

Promise of free money draws thousands to GRB
    01:00 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 7, 2005

By Wendell Edwards / 11 News

More than a thousand evacuees waited in line for up to four hours Wednesday morning after hearing FEMA was handing out $2,000 debit cards.

"This is for FEMA -- to see what FEMA's gonna provide for us," said Debra Surtain, an evacuee who was one of the first in line.

The long lines led to short tempers among some people who say they desperately need money.

Tempers also flared when they learned that the government workers were only registering them for the cards, which won't actually be available for a week or two.

"Word of mouth get around about FEMA and everybody come because... I think there's a lot of people that lost everything," said Surtain. "And so they're trying to get the same type of service that I'm trying to get."

By noon, FEMA had already reached its capacity for the number of evacuees it could register Wednesday.

One block away at the Toyota Center, workers offered evacuees help to recreate their resumes.
    But some evacuees had hoped other types of help would be available and their frustration level also reached the boiling point.

"I'm very aggravated, I'm very aggravated," said Samantha Barrow, an evacuee.

She wants to know where the millions being raised are going because she hasn't seen a dime of it.

"I've given to the Red Cross for years. I see these entertainers donating a million dollars to these various organizations, but I can't get any type of assistance," Barrow said. "I stayed on the phone with the housing authority for two hours on hold for the lady to tell me she's gonna put my name on a list. A list is not gonna help me right now."

The Federal Emergency Management Agency will give out out debit cards to evacuees for essential expenses including food, clothing and shelter, but it's not clear exactly when they will be available.

About 500 people lined up at the George R. Brown Convention Center Wednesday morning to sign up for the cards. FEMA workers took their information, but told evacuees the cards are not available yet. They told them it could be a week or two before they actually receive the cards.

Patrick Rhode, deputy director of FEMA, said the agency will go from shelter to shelter to sign people up for the cards. He said the paperwork usually required would be reduced or eliminated. “We’re eliminating as much red tape as humanly possible,� Rhode said. However, FEMA workers say each applicant's information must be verified before they receive the money and that will take some time.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They are just talking about that on talk radio in Florida. How they will prevent fraud?

Now you tell me, would it not have been better for those who are illegally in the U.S. to be returned to their home countries? This really was poor decision making. What are they thinking?? Oh, God, please give me patience!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gee will this include the illegals Bush created a sanctuary zone for?
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

dman, I really think he's gone hog wild now. I think he's lost his senses completely.

I really think all that he is doing right now, especially, (regarding the illegal aliens) is going to come back to haunt him, or bite him, whichever saying you want. Seriously.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well for me!

I hope him bites him so HARD that he bleeds, just like America is bleeding because of all of the mauling that he has caused!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Now you tell me how they are going to prevent fraud!?
    Hopefully they are checking SSNs and stories to counter fraud. Otherwise, it is line 1 for English and line 2 for Spanish (I sure hope not).

I can't say that I mind this idea. If I lost everything it would sure be helpful. It is worth it if the fraud can be kept to an absolute minimum.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

I heard someting today about now they are demanding the same type of payment 911 families got. Has anyone else heard this ??

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    I heard someting today about now they are demanding the same type of payment 911 families got. Has anyone else heard this ??
    Who is asking? Everyone or just a few
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast