Authorities capture 14 immigrants
Reported by: Jesse Chavez

Last Update: 1/03 5:55 pm

BOYNTON BEACH, FL -- More than a dozen illegal immigrants are now in custody, after their failed attempt to land on U.S. soil without being captured.

It was a busy day on the water, with boats heading in all directions of the Boynton Beach Inlet.

One of them was a 28-footer, now confiscated by authorities.

Some folks on land say the boat drew suspicion because it was packed with people.

They contacted the Coast Guard, who asked for help from other law enforcement agencies.

"We heavily patrol this area," said Officer Gregg Koch of the Boynton Beach Police Department's Marine Unit. "That's why we were able to get here so quickly, pretty much before they were able to leave this property."

Of the 15 suspected illegal immigrants, all but one were detained when they reached land and ran around boat club park.

"They were just scattered in all directions," said Koch. "Some of them had life jackets on. Others did not."

The six men and eight women, mostly Haitians, were wrapped in plastic cuffs then placed in custody of the U.S. Border Patrol.

The law enforcement activity came as quite a surprise to boaters, who were out enjoying a beautiful day on the water.

"Noone really is telling anybody what's going on," said one boater. "So, I'm curious to find out."

Once they found out, many boaters reacted with a sense of relief.

"I'm glad they're here," said boater Henry Sullivan. "They need to crack down on them illegal immigrants."

Brandon Bartels and his family were also happy to learn that most of the suspected illegal immigrants were captured.

"I don't think this should be just a port of entry for everybody who wants to get out of where they're at," said Bartels. "It's not a whole lot better here."

www.wptv.com