Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    There is one ray of hope. One teacher at a private school teaching eighth grade math declared the class its own business entity. He had the kids set up a society where some kids were bankers, some were lawyers, some were contractors and others were business people, running stores, etc. Handing out some money with his picture on it and the kids had to run their society, contractors by getting bugs off the windowscreens, bankers loaning out money to some kids that did not have enough money to buy the expensive cupcakes the merchants had to offer. And of course, lawyers settling all disputes. The last time I talked to this teacher, he told me a secret: He would walk in one morning and declare he was the dictator, had sold this class to another school and all their money was worthless. Now that is teaching!
    NOW that IS teaching!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There is one ray of hope. One teacher at a private school teaching eighth grade math declared the class its own business entity. He had the kids set up a society where some kids were bankers, some were lawyers, some were contractors and others were business people, running stores, etc. Handing out some money with his picture on it and the kids had to run their society, contractors by getting bugs off the windowscreens, bankers loaning out money to some kids that did not have enough money to buy the expensive cupcakes the merchants had to offer. And of course, lawyers settling all disputes. The last time I talked to this teacher, he told me a secret: He would walk in one morning and declare he was the dictator, had sold this class to another school and all their money was worthless. Now that is teaching!

We played "store" when I was in 2nd grade......I can count change even when the computers are down. They had the "egg" being a baby where HS kids were taught about responsibility. Education is about thinking.....and they aren't doing that anymore.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am good with a few things......hey, what happens when I can't find a hammer? How can I get this paper in when electricity is down? How can I make something out of nothing? In my opinion it's called THINKING!!!!!

I heard of a teacher doing something similar. There was a added dimension. The kids were paired together. There was a wheel that could be spun. They could come into some money, have a death in family and have to pay the expenses, small expenses like new tires for the care (a price was set for each thing.) When a baby was hit on the card. A baby was given to them that had sensors in it. It had a timer and the baby would wake up which every partner had it at night. They had to find out what it took to quiet the baby. Everything had a cost.

It really cut down teen pregnancies in the school. Needless to say they got a good feel for the adult world and the expenses. Helped them to see they needed a good education.

As a young family we lived in Florida...at about the time we started looking at pre-K and elementary schools for our eldest and only child at the time...I was appalled that even the so-called "better school districts" had elementary school students in "trailer" classrooms that had to be evacuated everytime there was severe thunderstorms, tropical depressions or tornado sightings because they were unsafe structures. There was so much overcrowding even in the "new" schools that the district started having "year round" school...most of the influx coincided with the Disney and Universal Studios "building boom" when Disney added the Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney and dozens of hotels/restaurants with Universal followiing close behind. With that came a plethora of low-skilled, low-paying jobs to fill by the tens of thousands ....and guess who came into town? First it was the Brazilians who took over I-Drive and started opening up Brazilian businesses then the Central Americans and the MExicans. The conditions back then, twelve years ago in the Orlando area were not good as far as schools....we had to resort to sending our child to a private school until 2nd grade. We moved out of Florida shortly afterwards and have heard that things are much, much worse in the Central Florida area then when we left. Sad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123