Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Forum in Costa Mesa Urges Immigration Dialogue

http://ocregister.com/ocregister/new...le_1153074.php

Forum in Costa Mesa urges immigration dialogue
    Newport-Mesa Unified students and teachers meet for discussion to help understand issue.

By FERMIN LEAL
    The Orange County Register

More!
    Immigration reform: An archive of the Register's coverage

COSTA MESA – Estancia High sophomore Maria Cervantes was not comfortable discussing illegal immigration.

She didn't think she understood the issue well enough to speak about it. That's why she forced herself to go to a meeting Tuesday night.

Cervantes and 140 other middle school and high school students and teachers from Newport-Mesa Unified gathered to discuss one of the most contentious topics in their community and across the country.

The forum was organized by Neighbors for a Safe Community, a group of about 50 area residents and business owners that formed last year. The group says a lot of emotion and not much rational thinking has surrounded the illegal immigration issue in Costa Mesa.

Taco Mesa restaurant co-sponsored the event and provided free dinners.

The goal was to encourage civic participation by high school students, help educate them on the topic, and provide students with a productive arena to have their voices heard, said organizer Chris Blank, a Costa Mesa resident and attorney in Newport Beach.

Another goal was to encourage students to register to vote at 18.

"We are not here to tell students what they should or should not do about immigration. We are here to give them the opportunity and the tools to decide for themselves," Blank said.

The city became involved in the national debate this year after Mayor Allan Mansoor proposed legislation to have Costa Mesa police check the immigration status of suspects charged with felonies. It would make Costa Mesa the first U.S. city to enforce federal immigration laws. The program is awaiting federal approval.

In recent months, the city has been a target of boycotts and rallies by immigrant-rights groups and those supporting stronger enforcement of immigration laws.

Organizers of Tuesday's event have opposed the Costa Mesa's immigration enforcement plan, but said the purpose of the forum was not to influence students.

Speakers from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Mexican-American Legal Defense Fund talked to students about the roles and responsibilities of the federal, state and local governments when it comes to immigration.

They also outlined the federal immigration measures currently before Congress and Costa Mesa's immigration enforcement plan.

Students then sat in small groups and answered questions like "How have you personally been affected by the immigration debate?" and "What specific things can high school students do to influence local and national immigration policy?"

Estancia High freshman Sindy Ramirez said the mayor's proposal has caused a lot of fear and concern in her neighborhood.

"I have a lot of friends and family (who are illegal immigrants.) They all work really hard and also contribute to the community," Ramirez said. "I don't understand what the big deal is. At one point, everybody in this country came from somewhere else."

Mary Christensen, a history teacher at Corona del Mar High, said she hoped students didn't walk away from the meeting thinking they it was OK to ignore immigration laws.

"I couldn't sit here as an educator and have students think they could respect certain laws and not others just because they might not like them," Christiansen said.

Belinda Escobosa Helzer, an attorney with the ACLU, said despite the differing views on illegal immigration, open dialogue was the best tool for students to grasp the complexity of the issue.

"I wish I had the opportunity you guys had to talk about this difficult issue when I was in high school. Immigration is not a black and white issue like many politicians will have you believe," she told students. "First thing students can do is ask questions, and that's what you guys are doing tonight."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CONTACT US: (714) 445-6687 or fleal@ocregister.com
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Speakers from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Mexican-American Legal Defense Fund talked to students about the roles and responsibilities of the federal, state and local governments when it comes to immigration.
    And they have the nerve to say the purpose of the forum was not to influence students....I have bridge, who is going to buy it?